Re: Problem with CD/DVD caching

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Sep 27, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    >Running XP pro sp3 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev.3.3) mainboard with
    >2GB RAM
    >
    >Have LiteOn SOHC-5236V Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM (IDE) Drive and Pioneer
    >DVR-212 DVD burner.
    >
    >Many times when I have loaded a CD or DVD ("disc 1") in one of the
    >above, the contents seem to be cached probably in RAM. If I eject disc
    >1 and load and different disc (disc 2), the drive stubbornly still
    >reports the contents as being those of disc 1.
    >
    >One way to clear the "cache" (if it is that) is to eject the disc, try
    >to access it (get msg to insert disc) then insert the new disc, and it
    >will be recognized correctly. But not always, and sometimes it takes a
    >great deal of frustrating effort to get disc contents to be recognized
    >correctly.
    >
    >Anyone had this prob or suggest other ways of fixing it?

    I hate autoplay, so I disable it - doing so will cause what your
    seeing.

    No big deal you just put in a different CD and open it, the CD name
    stays the same, but the contents will be different.

    Anyhow:

    First run Erunt

    Then

    Start | Run <type in>
    REGEDIT
    <enter>

    Goto this key:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

    Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    (If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)

    --

    New browser exploit forces you to click a link. Bonus: it affects almost all browsers, and disabling Javascript does nada.
    Oh, and no one knows how to stop it.

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Start | Run <type in>
    >REGEDIT
    ><enter>
    >
    >Goto this key:
    >HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
    >
    >Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
    >(If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)

    Forgot, you will need to reboot for this to take.

    ;

  3. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I hate autoplay, so I disable it - doing so will cause what
    > your seeing.

    Are you saying this is happening to me as well /because/ I have
    autoplay (which is idiotic, I agree) disabled?

    Is this CD drive behavior supposed to be the punishment for
    disagreeing with MS's "we know what's best for you" policy?

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.
    thanatoid, Sep 27, 2008
  4. Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote:

    >> I hate autoplay, so I disable it - doing so will cause what
    >> your seeing.

    >Are you saying this is happening to me as well /because/ I have
    >autoplay (which is idiotic, I agree) disabled?

    Using that reg key, yes. If I boot-up or insert a CD named "Twitch",
    no matter what CD I put afterwards will be called "Twitch".

    But the disk contents will be different.

    --

    http://www.popgive.com/2008/09/asian-sandwich.html
    , Sep 27, 2008
  5. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I hate autoplay, so I disable it - doing so will cause
    >>> what your seeing.

    >>Are you saying this is happening to me as well /because/ I
    >>have autoplay (which is idiotic, I agree) disabled?

    > Using that reg key, yes. If I boot-up or insert a CD named
    > "Twitch", no matter what CD I put afterwards will be called
    > "Twitch".
    >
    > But the disk contents will be different.

    I never changed the reg key, I just disabled autoplay in TweakUI
    or wherever you do it.

    thanatoid, Sep 27, 2008
  6. Guest

    , Sep 27, 2008
  7. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Using that reg key, yes.

    >>I never changed the reg key, I just disabled autoplay in
    >>TweakUI or wherever you do it.

    > Check the key :)

    BION, I don't have it! (Win98SELite). ?

    I really don't care, anyway. If every little thing that annoys
    me about Windows got to me, I'd be drooling in a corner of a
    padded room in a mental hospital. (Not that I'm not close
    anyway.)

    thanatoid, Sep 27, 2008