Re: PROBLEM SOLVED General USB Printer setup question, and situation-specific question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bum, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Bum

    Bum Guest

    > But, I'm still interested in hearing responses about my first
    > question, which went like this:
    >

    > I'm still not totally down on this thing with USB printers; it seems,
    > I am told, that before you actually attach the USB printing device to
    > the computer, you have to install the software to the point where the
    > USB drivers won't be confused by the connected USB port.
    >
    > Firstly, am I correct about that? Now...
    >
    > _____________________________________
    >
    > After having installed several USB printers to computers, sometimes it
    > seems like some strange "don't jump too soon, but don't wait to jump
    > when you have to" game. Practically speaking, when does an admin know
    > when it's time to attach the printer to the computer, and turn it on?
    > What is supposed to have happened before the connection occurs?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > sa

    The sequence of events in my experience with USB printers and Microsquish
    has been that the driver software for the printer and usb hub need to be
    installed and reconized by Microsquish. Once the drivers are installed,
    I have always connected the cables to the printers first, then connect
    them to the computer, after this I would power on the printer. This
    sequence for installation has held true for HP and Epson printers as well
    as for several brands of cameras and scanners.

    To best of my knowledge this is the proper procedure due to the software
    driver needing to configure itself with the Microsquish USB root host
    (i.e., establish the hooks into the operating system hardware interface)
    before it is able to reconize the attached device ... I could be wrong

    Bum

    Bum, Jan 15, 2005