Re: Problem replacing drive

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314057 .

    Not exactly the same issue, but I think the root cause is the same:
    your problem sounds like a boot record/disk geometry mismatch. And
    even if the article's solution doesn't work, it should suggest other
    approaches.

    Mike

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > The only two partitions involved in booting either 98SE or XP are C:

    and
    > D:, and both were copied with Partition Magic from the same working

    drive.

    > SBFan2000 wrote:
    > > Did you look at the boot.ini file to make sure that it is pointing

    to the
    > > right partition?
    > >

    > > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Re: "Apparently, installing the image doesn't provide the key

    bootup
    > >>files needed for it to boot up properly."
    > >>
    > >>That seems to be the case, but it doesn't make a lot of sense,

    since
    > >>both partitions were restored from Powerquest Drive Image backups.
    > >>
    > >>The 1st partition (C:, containing Win98) boots fine. XP on D:

    won't boot.

    > >>Some other interesting things: more recently, if I try this, I

    get a
    > >>"100 Error" (some type of partition table error) if I run

    Partition
    > >>Magic from XP, but if I run it from Windows 98, I don't get this

    error.
    > >> Note, Partition Magic 8.0 is installed, separately, under both

    OS',
    > >>and both OS' actually reboot to MS-DOS (or DR-DOS) to do the

    actual
    > >>execution, which is where the error occurs. Now why would PM 8.0

    give a
    > >>partition table error from one OS and not the other? [and I sure

    wish
    > >>it would say which DRIVE has the error !!].
    > >>
    > >>I'm having a lot of trouble with this installation, which I've not
    > >>really been able to resolve. While I could do a repair install,

    I'd
    > >>like to know why one should be necessary. My guess is that there

    is a
    > >>boot file somewhere (probably on drive C:) that has an actual

    absolute
    > >>disk sector address that is no longer correct. But that's just a

    guess.
    > >> There's no way for me to accept that a file is actually missing,

    since
    > >>both C: and D: have been copied.

    (98SE) is 8

    gig

    they are

    (Powerquest)

    screen where

    instance,

    and

    the drive

    has no

    been no

    in both

    fine,

    reverted

    doing a

    Usenet News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

    >100,000 Newsgroups
    > > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

    =---

    MF, Oct 15, 2004