Re: PROBLEM: How to reset notebook BIOS??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by §ñühw¤£f, Mar 17, 2009.

  1. Jimmy Dean wrote:
    > I have an Acer TravelMate 4102WLMi notebook in which I recently had to
    > replace the hard-disk. Installed WinXP OK and drivers from the Acer
    > website.
    >
    > All installed OK except the graphics driver - system seemed to think
    > the device was not present. Tried both Intel and ATi drivers, though
    > later noted the BIOS shows the version for a separate ATi graphics
    > BIOS so it must be ATi.
    >
    > Windows supplies a generic graphics driver which while better than
    > nothing does not afford full functionality.
    >
    > So not being content to leave well enough alone, I went and updated
    > the BIOS

    Not reccomended for n00bies.

    - got the last version listed from the Acer website for
    > TravelMate 4100 series.
    >
    > Used the WinPhlash util, which verified the compatibility of old and
    > new BIOS versions before doing the update.
    >
    > However after the update, the PC boots to Windows OK

    So the problem is?

    - I can hear the
    > "Windows Startup" sound, and if I tap the power button once, the
    > Windows Shutdown sound - while the HD flashes appropriately.
    >
    > But THE DISPLAY IS BLANK. Clearly the PC BIOS is OK but the ATi BIOS
    > is not compatible or corrupted etc somehow.

    Might be a winblows problem.
    Check with a linux live cd to see if you can boot to a commandline or
    better.
    If its a Micro$ock problem you need to start in Safe Mode and see wtf
    video drivers are loaded.

    > How to reset the ATi BIOS or get the display back somehow? Have
    > Googled this prob with nothing of substantial help.
    >
    > Your help appreciated
    >
    > TIA
    > jd

    Dont **** with the BIOS any further, really.
    Try getting Windoze to give you some video joy with drivers updating.

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 17, 2009