Re: PROBLEM: How to reset notebook BIOS??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cizzo, Mar 17, 2009.

  1. cizzo

    cizzo Guest

    On Mar 17, 3:50 am, Jimmy Dean <> wrote:
    > I have an Acer TravelMate 4102WLMi notebook in which I recently had to
    > replace the hard-disk. Installed WinXP OK and drivers from the Acer
    > website.
    >
    > All installed OK except the graphics driver - system seemed to think
    > the device was not present. Tried both Intel and ATi drivers, though
    > later noted the BIOS shows the version for a separate ATi graphics
    > BIOS so it must be ATi.
    >
    > Windows supplies a generic graphics driver which while better than
    > nothing does not afford full functionality.
    >
    > So not being content to leave well enough alone, I went and updated
    > the BIOS - got the last version listed from the Acer website for
    > TravelMate 4100 series.
    >
    > Used the WinPhlash util, which verified the compatibility of old and
    > new BIOS versions before doing the update.
    >
    > However after the update, the PC boots to Windows OK - I can hear the
    > "Windows Startup" sound, and if I tap the power button once, the
    > Windows Shutdown sound - while the HD flashes appropriately.
    >
    > But THE DISPLAY IS BLANK. Clearly the PC BIOS is OK but the ATi BIOS
    > is not compatible or corrupted etc somehow.
    >
    > How to reset the ATi BIOS or get the display back somehow? Have
    > Googled this prob with nothing of substantial help.
    >
    > Your help appreciated
    >
    > TIA
    > jd

    Try booting into safe mode - "Enable VGA mode" by pressing F8 upon
    bootup.

    That is if you can see BIOS loading up, otherwise you will have to try
    to revert back to the old BIOS version as already posted above.

    If you can get into it I would try another BIOS flash...

    cizzo, Mar 17, 2009