Re: PROBLEM: How to reset notebook BIOS??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Mar 17, 2009.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >So not being content to leave well enough alone, I went and updated
    >the BIOS - got the last version listed from the Acer website for
    >TravelMate 4100 series.
    >
    >Used the WinPhlash util, which verified the compatibility of old and
    >new BIOS versions before doing the update.
    >
    >However after the update, the PC boots to Windows OK - I can hear the
    >"Windows Startup" sound, and if I tap the power button once, the
    >Windows Shutdown sound - while the HD flashes appropriately.
    >
    >But THE DISPLAY IS BLANK. Clearly the PC BIOS is OK but the ATi BIOS
    >is not compatible or corrupted etc somehow.
    >
    >How to reset the ATi BIOS or get the display back somehow? Have
    >Googled this prob with nothing of substantial help.

    Man, you really fucked up. Updating the video bios on those is not for the
    squeamish. You might have a brick.

    Okay here's the deal. The only way out of this is to get the old vBIOS back
    on the chip, obviously. Each manufacturer has a method for doing so, and
    unfortunately I don't know how Acer does it. I do know how HP does it, so it
    might be the same.

    To recover a HP vBIOS you get a copy of the .BIN file from their website, then
    re-name the file VGA.BIN. Then you copy VGA.BIN to the root of the boot
    partition OR copy it to the root of a flash drive. Then re-boot. That's it.

    I would suggest searching Acer's support for "video BIOS recovery".

    --
    "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    **Important Update**
    Magic goat detained for armed robbery:
    http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291

    G. Morgan, Mar 17, 2009

  2. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Mar 17, 2009

  3. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >Any other thoughts..?

    Did you happen to note the version # and/or BIOS manufacturer?

    Which update did you do, L3223A41.WPH or L3263A45.WPH
    ??

    Did you get it here?:
    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/TravelMate 4100.zip

    You should be able to run winphlash from the command line.

    I suggest making a USB flash drive DOS bootable and put this in autoexec.bat:

    install.bat

    Of course, extract contents of the "TravelMate 4100" directory and NOT the
    "TravelMate 4100 UMA" directory. UMA is for Intel video.

    G. Morgan, Mar 18, 2009
  4. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >Only prob with that it the BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD, then HDD.
    >Have tried with USB floppy/boot diskette and it simply ignores.

    You may have to burn a bootable DOS CD with the BIOS on it..

    >But actually using Winphlash, I should be able to reflash with the
    >saved BIOS.BAK (renamed to X.WPH), but for some reason it doesn't do
    >it. It stops with "Critical Error" sound.

    How do you know it's executing as opposed to another error?

    The pertinent line in install.bat is:

    WinPhlash /bu=%systemdrive%\bios.bak /mode=3 /s L3263A45.WPH

    So if you make a DOS boot CD you can run install.bat from autoexec.bat, or
    make a custom autoexec.bat that carries out the command.

    OR maybe.....

    I just thought of this. Take the HDD out again and put the Winphlash command
    (with it's arguments) in the 'startup' folder of your Windows account.

    G. Morgan, Mar 18, 2009
  5. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Re: PROBLEM: How to reset notebook BIOS?? <= problem solved

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >This time the flashing proceeded smoothly and within 2 min the system
    >had self-rebooted and display was back.
    >
    >Thanx to everyone who tried to help, great to have that support
    >through this very looooong day
    >
    >BTW Still can't get ATi driver to install - thinks the hardware is not
    >present. Let sleeping dogs lie..

    That's great news Jimmy Dean. I took a special interest in your progress
    because I knew that one would be a tough one, congratulations.

    On the video driver issue:

    I think you have the wrong driver package. Go into the device manager and
    grab the PCI id. It will make it real easy to get the right driver.

    <right-click the VGA adaptor, select properties, "details" Tab, [ctrl+c] to
    copy the info to the clipboard.

    Here is mine:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0295&SUBSYS_230B19F1&REV_A1\4&123D6358&0&0010

    Bonus question:
    What video card do I have?

    G. Morgan, Mar 18, 2009
  6. G. Morgan

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    >> Here is mine:
    >> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0295&SUBSYS_230B19F1&REV_A1\4&123D6358&0&0010
    >>
    >> Bonus question:
    >> What video card do I have?
    >>

    >Admission of being too stupid to know what hardware you have noted.

    Acknowledgement of your complete lack of reading comprehension noted.

    >Prolly this:Video Card nVidia Corp GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU

    No. that's not it. Your lack of knowledge is being advertised each time you
    post.

    >You gormless lackwit.

    Why don't you develop your own online persona instead of stealing K-man's?

    You're obviously too young to have ever watched Brady Bunch, but you remind me
    of the episode where Peter needed a personality. Instead of developing one of
    his own, he assumed that of Humphrey Bogart.

    Pork chops... and applesauce!!

    G. Morgan, Mar 18, 2009
  7. Re: PROBLEM: How to reset notebook BIOS?? <= problem solved

    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 18, 2009
  8. G. Morgan

    Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >No idea??
    >
    >Mine is
    >
    >PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_00661025&REV_00\4&266C3FA7&0&0008
    >
    >Please enlighten

    Get this:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...spx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.6&lang=English

    Installation Verification Software
    "Validation utility to determine if Catalyst Mobility™ is compatible with your
    system and download the driver."

    ___________

    All I did was Google "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653"

    See enough listings like this:
    "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 " = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653

    Then Google
    "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700" driver

    Which will eventually lead you to:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

    _____________

    *bonus

    Using my logic, you should be able to quickly determine the make & model of my
    card.

    Mine: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0295

    G. Morgan, Mar 19, 2009
  9. Re: PROBLEM: How to reset notebook BIOS?? <= problem solved

    G. Morgan wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >>> Here is mine:
    >>> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0295&SUBSYS_230B19F1&REV_A1\4&123D6358&0&0010
    >>>
    >>> Bonus question:
    >>> What video card do I have?
    >>>

    >> Admission of being too stupid to know what hardware you have noted.

    > Acknowledgement of your complete lack of reading comprehension noted.

    Your being totally pwn3d by me is noted & archived!

    >> Prolly this:Video Card nVidia Corp GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU

    > No. that's not it. Your lack of knowledge is being advertised each time you
    > post.

    ANd yet you never fail to hump my poasts :)
    Hump this one too!

    >> You gormless lackwit.

    > Why don't you develop your own online persona instead of stealing K-man's?

    Kman stole all his shtick from me.
    Word.

    > You're obviously too young to have ever watched Brady Bunch, but you remind me
    > of the episode where Peter needed a personality. Instead of developing one of
    > his own, he assumed that of Humphrey Bogart.

    Heh...guess lots more now :)

    > Pork chops... and applesauce!!

    No thanx.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 19, 2009
  10. G. Morgan

    xtrasmart

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    DUUUDes

    had a look at all the intellectual jargon above...thanks tho!!!!

    decded to download NVDA...its a solution for blind people !!!

    narates wot ever the cursor is held over....loaded it....

    flashed my bios with the correct ATI model...

    BOBs ure uncle...

    thanks tho dudes...

    xtrasmart, Oct 2, 2009