Re: Problem: How to manage a small LAN of some 6 PCs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:43:14 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >Is there any software which can enable a central PC to:

    Yes, could depend on budget, skill level and what sort of kit you have.

    >1. See the rest of the network as a map, with PCs, switches, ADSL
    >modems, and network printers together with the interconnections

    What's up Gold, nagios, Visio. Depends on where your monitor sits and
    http://www.whatsupgold.com/
    http://www.nagios.org/
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/default.aspx
    A lot of this works better if you have SNMP enabled (remember to secure
    it). Bandwidth utilisation can be captured by mrtg + perl (+Routers2
    +rrdtool nicer graphs)/prtg.
    http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
    http://activestate.com/
    http://www.steveshipway.org/software/
    http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/

    There are freeware versions of lots of monitoring apps.

    Several products run on both Windows (sometimes not free) and
    Linux(Unix) same apps are free.

    Downloaded this but haven't tried it.
    http://www.networknotepad.com/

    >2. See traffic/monitor bytes flowing from point to point in the LAN

    Depends if you have a link you can monitor, switchport mirror, inline
    tap. See diagram of tap
    http://www.ntop.org/news.html
    also sell taps.

    High end taps
    http://www.ntop.org/news.html

    >3. Control ADSL bandwidth available to a particular PC

    That's called QoS, quite a few soho and many business class routers have
    QoS, Win XP and above does.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316666

    QoS must be supported by the device at each end
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3688
    and it will only be LAN-PC, not Internet link.

    http://www.solarwinds.com/

    http://www.snapfiles.com/Shareware/categories/networking/
    for network admin, info and monitoring.

    >Like to hear from anyone actually using such software (I can Google
    >too)

    So have you?

    Then there is
    for the previous same questions about lan monitoring.

    Didn't try very hard did you, most of the above have been mentioned
    quite a few times before.

    If not the exact link before the site was as well.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/software/Network-inventory-software/

    Me

    why?, Jan 26, 2009

  2. why?

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:25:52 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:43:14 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >
    >>Is there any software which can enable a central PC to:

    >Yes, could depend on budget, skill level and what sort of kit you have.
    >
    >>1. See the rest of the network as a map, with PCs, switches, ADSL
    >>modems, and network printers together with the interconnections

    >What's up Gold, nagios, Visio. Depends on where your monitor sits and
    >http://www.whatsupgold.com/
    >http://www.nagios.org/
    >http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/default.aspx
    >A lot of this works better if you have SNMP enabled (remember to secure
    >it). Bandwidth utilisation can be captured by mrtg + perl (+Routers2
    >+rrdtool nicer graphs)/prtg.

    We used mrtg along with Syslog before, and I liked the combo. But we have an ASA
    now instead of a PIX. (I don't run the firewall so I didn't get to pick the
    software, which is FireGen.) I do get another log to my machine but all it shows
    me is the builds and teardowns, and the web stuff is *crap.* No name resolution,
    only the first 100 connections, and about 90% of the time so far I don't get a
    web log at all. I *hate* it. :(

    --
    Registered Linux user #313265.

    Mara, Jan 26, 2009

  3. why?

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:50:17 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:25:52 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:43:14 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any software which can enable a central PC to:

    >>Yes, could depend on budget, skill level and what sort of kit you have.

    <snip>

    >>A lot of this works better if you have SNMP enabled (remember to secure
    >>it). Bandwidth utilisation can be captured by mrtg + perl (+Routers2
    >>+rrdtool nicer graphs)/prtg.

    Hi,

    >We used mrtg along with Syslog before, and I liked the combo. But we have an ASA

    I considered that, but found a few specific freeware syslog tools and
    just stuck with them.

    >now instead of a PIX. (I don't run the firewall so I didn't get to pick the

    Still waiting to see an ASA, we have to run evaluations to the EAL
    levels, so generally it's the OS/Config hardened and tested, and tested.

    >software, which is FireGen.) I do get another log to my machine but all it shows

    The new one is an 12 port Nokia IP390, need to ask the guy for the
    config.

    >me is the builds and teardowns, and the web stuff is *crap.* No name resolution,

    Most of our logging is collected offsite, which makes it fun as I can
    only see the 20/30 lines local before it's wiped and asking to see the
    logs has never worked. It seems a lot of WAN traffic for something there
    isn't access to view :)

    >only the first 100 connections, and about 90% of the time so far I don't get a
    >web log at all. I *hate* it. :(

    Me

    why?, Jan 27, 2009