RE:Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep AboutMe

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Heidy, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. Heidy

    Heidy Guest

    RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    x-no-archive-yes

    Hello,
    I wanted to know what sort of information does my Isp hold about me all
    the Websites I have visited in the last 3 years for instance similar to
    a "blackbox" that can be subpeoned by law enforcement authorities

    What about my ISP account emails are these held too?

    Also apparently Google keep files on people with all their search info
    as a matter of Privacy what can be done?
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action...rticleId=9012082&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_feat

    http://snipurl.com/1f35k

    What solutions are there to this?

    Heidy

    Service

    Good Quality Website But Expensive If you know a Better Value For Money
    Video On Demand Service or even Mirc www.mirc.com please feel free to
    contact me.

    Please remove the "NOSPAM" to reply

    Heidy, Apr 4, 2007

  2. Re: Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep AboutMe

    Heidy wrote:
    > RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me
    >
    > x-no-archive-yes
    >
    > Hello,
    > I wanted to know what sort of information does my Isp hold about me all
    > the Websites I have visited in the last 3 years for instance similar to
    > a "blackbox" that can be subpeoned by law enforcement authorities
    >
    > What about my ISP account emails are these held too?
    >
    > Also apparently Google keep files on people with all their search info
    > as a matter of Privacy what can be done?
    >
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action...rticleId=9012082&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_feat
    >>

    > http://snipurl.com/1f35k
    >
    > What solutions are there to this?

    I know you're asking about what's happening now, but look at what the
    land of the free is wanting to do:
    http://news.com.com/Justice Department takes aim at image-sharing sites/2100-1028_3-6163679.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2ttph2

    BTW, you can safely drop that x-no-archive-yes comment, it's not helping.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 4, 2007

  3. Heidy

    thanatoid Guest

    RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    Heidy <> wrote in

    > RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep
    > About Me

    <SNIP>

    There is no more anonymity or privacy, in fact some people
    believe one of the main "benefits" of the internet is that it
    allows the "authorities" to keep tabs on everyone they wish to.

    Everything is logged, everything can be stored for a long time
    (depending on how organized or messy the ISP/provider happens to
    be - in case of Google everything IS stored forever), and
    anyone with any authority can get at any information (sometimes
    all it takes is just a phone call with no legal documents
    involved at all). To their credit, some companies HAVE refused
    to hand over records and survived, but look up the history of
    anon.penet.fi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penet_remailer} for
    an account of one of the first and most famous cases where a
    service had to shut down because of authoritarian (in that case,
    Scientology was involved) pressures.

    It is fairly simple to track down anyone if someone really wants
    to, and many claim all Usenet messages and email is scanned by
    "authorities" for suspicious content (Google for "Echelon").
    Your message certainly falls into that category, BTW.

    Satellite cameras can zoom in on the reflection of your computer
    screen in your open window. Thanks to Google's infinite storage
    of what used to be just personal messages on a semi-private
    bulletin board (on of the many definitions of the Usenet),
    lawsuits have been successfully conducted to destroy people's
    lives over their opinion of a company or manufacturer. It is
    like people reading, copying, and storing EVERY piece of mail
    ever sent by anyone, like they used to do at certain times in
    the Soviet Union and some of the block countries.

    It is like 1984 except MUCH worse. And it will keep on getting
    worse. "A Clockwork Orange" with its then-rather-depressing
    vision of the future is beginning to look like a cute fairy tale
    these days.

    OTOH, new ways of making yourself truly anonymous are invented
    by cypherpunks etc. all the time, but how effective they are is
    debatable. Just showing serious interest in anonymous remailers,
    proxy servers etc. can theoretically get you on a "watch" list.
    And some people claim (no one REALLY knows) that many anonymous
    remailers etc are government-run to catch just the kind of
    people who would want to use them.

    Have I scared you enough? The bottom line is depending on what
    you actually want to do, it may not matter at all. Even Interpol
    has to have its priorities - no one has infinite resources.

    And except for sociopaths, some of the more severely mentally
    disturbed, and religious fanatics (abortion-clinic bombers AND
    Moslem suicide-bombers equally), most people have uncorrupted
    consciences and KNOW deep in their hearts what is right and
    wrong, and MOST normal people abstain from doing the wrong.
    Still, it's a big world and there are many criminals around, and
    a large part of the planet is under control of people who
    probably never knew what was right and what was wrong in the
    first place.

    thanatoid, Apr 5, 2007
  4. Heidy

    Frosty Guest

    Re: Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    On 05 Apr 2007 02:43:11 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

> [...]

    >And some people claim (no one REALLY knows) that many anonymous
    >remailers etc are government-run to catch just the kind of
    >people who would want to use them.
    >
    >Have I scared you enough? The bottom line is depending on what
    >you actually want to do, it may not matter at all. Even Interpol
    >has to have its priorities - no one has infinite resources.
    >
    >And except for sociopaths, some of the more severely mentally
    >disturbed, and religious fanatics (abortion-clinic bombers AND
    >Moslem suicide-bombers equally), most people have uncorrupted
    >consciences and KNOW deep in their hearts what is right and
    >wrong, and MOST normal people abstain from doing the wrong.
    >Still, it's a big world and there are many criminals around, and
    >a large part of the planet is under control of people who
    >probably never knew what was right and what was wrong in the

    What he said.
    But to answer your question short & sweet as to what you can do about
    it: Get off the internet.

    Frosty, Apr 5, 2007
  5. Heidy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:29:58 +0100, Heidy wrote:

    > RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me
    >
    > x-no-archive-yes

    I doubt this is doing any good in the body of the message, needs to be in
    the headers IIRC

    > Hello,
    > I wanted to know what sort of information does my Isp hold about me all
    > the Websites I have visited in the last 3 years for instance similar to
    > a "blackbox" that can be subpeoned by law enforcement authorities

    The ISPs proxy server will log a record of every page and object on that
    page requested. How long they keep these records for is something only
    they can answer. And how hard it is for people to access this data is
    another question. Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the blink of
    an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a signed warrant in
    front of them. And you cannot escape this data being logged by your ISP
    unless you do everything over an encrypted connection to a remote site.

    > What about my ISP account emails are these held too?

    They certainly will log basic details about each email sent and
    received. ie Message ID ABCD received from server X for user Y at time Z
    at the minimum, for server performance monitoring at the very least. How
    long they keep them for (on the server, and dont forget the backup sets)
    is another question altogether. Ask them. And ask them to state explicitly
    what they do record and how long they hold this data for.

    > What solutions are there to this?

    Google and other cookie based web-tracking technologies... turn off
    cookies, java/javascript, activeX etc, connect to an anonymizing proxy via
    an encrypted protocol using an internet connection that has a dynamic IP
    (IP address changes with each reconnection). Or just dont use the web. :)

    This will avoid most simple tracking systems. If however you have
    government agencies (or other $$$ & Technology rich entities) tracking you
    then take the cable cutters and cut your internet line...

    El Chippy, Apr 5, 2007
  6. Heidy

    thanatoid Guest

    Re: Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    Frosty <> wrote in

> [...]

    >>would want to use them.
    >>
    >>Have I scared you enough? The bottom line is depending on
    >>what you actually want to do, it may not matter at all.
    >>Even Interpol has to have its priorities - no one has
    >>infinite resources.
    >>
    >>And except for sociopaths, some of the more severely
    >>mentally disturbed, and religious fanatics (abortion-clinic
    >>bombers AND Moslem suicide-bombers equally), most people
    >>have uncorrupted consciences and KNOW deep in their hearts
    >>what is right and wrong, and MOST normal people abstain
    >>from doing the wrong. Still, it's a big world and there are
    >>many criminals around, and a large part of the planet is
    >>under control of people who probably never knew what was
    >>right and what was wrong in the first place.

    > What he said.
    > But to answer your question short & sweet as to what you

    /laughing out loud/
    Thank you for putting it in simpler terms, Frosty :)

    thanatoid, Apr 5, 2007
  7. Heidy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:37:05 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    >> represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the blink of
    >> an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a signed warrant in
    >> front of them. And you cannot escape this data being logged by your ISP
    >> unless you do everything over an encrypted connection to a remote site.

    > Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or whatever
    > you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any Company/Person)
    > before they have to give any information out to them about someone else.
    > For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are 4 examples of agencies
    > that companies may have to supply information to and as far as I know a
    > company can suppliy information to any of them without a search warrant in
    > certain circumstances (Check the NZ Laws before you disagree with this)
    >
    > Thanks

    Indeed, they CAN.. whether they should is another question altogether.
    Their policy on this sort of thing should be clearly stated in the T
    & C IMHO. And at the very least they should verify the person is actually
    who they claim to be.

    I haven't got much to hide, ( i lead a pretty dull life unfortunately) and
    i doubt that the authorities would ever be wanting to know what websites i
    had been surfing, but if they did, i wouldn't really be happy if my ISP
    handed over data without at least requesting some sort of verification of
    the request.

    El Chippy, Apr 5, 2007
  8. Heidy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:47:52 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > GCSB?

    http://www.gcsb.govt.nz/

    Welcome to The GCSB
    Vision:
    "to provide world-class intelligence and information
    assurance services to the New Zealand Government."

    NZs version of the CIA basically.

    El Chippy, Apr 5, 2007
  9. Re: Re:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 5, 2007
  10. Heidy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    > > represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the
    > > blink of an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a
    > > signed warrant in front of them. And you cannot escape this data
    > > being logged by your ISP unless you do everything over an encrypted
    > > connection to a remote site.

    > Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or
    > whatever you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any
    > Company/Person) before they have to give any information out to them
    > about someone else. For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are
    > 4 examples of agencies that companies may have to supply information
    > to and as far as I know a company can suppliy information to any of
    > them without a search warrant in certain circumstances (Check the NZ
    > Laws before you disagree with this)
    > Thanks

    GCSB?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 5, 2007
  11. Re:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    El Chippy wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:29:58 +0100, Heidy wrote:
    >
    >> RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep
    >> About Me
    >>
    >> x-no-archive-yes

    > I doubt this is doing any good in the body of the message, needs
    > to be in the headers IIRC

    Not so. But if used in the body it has to be the first line.

    And it's also not formatted correctly.

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2007
  12. Re: Re:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    >> Thanks

    > GCSB?

    Government Communications Security Bureau
    Also known as: GCSB
    The Government Communications Security Bureau contributes to the security of
    New Zealand through:

    -providing foreign Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) to support and inform
    Government decision making

    -ensuring the integrity, availability and confidentiality of official
    information through the provision of Information Systems Security (INFOSEC)
    services to departments and agencies of the New Zealand Government

    -contributing to the protection of the national critical infrastructure from
    information-borne threats.

    www.gcsb.govt.nz

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 5, 2007
  13. Re: Re:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    > Indeed, they CAN.. whether they should is another question altogether.
    > Their policy on this sort of thing should be clearly stated in the T
    > & C IMHO. .

    It is all written into NZ Law so there is no point in repeating it. Most
    ISP's will just state they will abide to NZ Law in their T&C.

    > I haven't got much to hide, ( i lead a pretty dull life unfortunately) and
    > i doubt that the authorities would ever be wanting to know what websites i
    > had been surfing, but if they did, i wouldn't really be happy if my ISP
    > handed over data without at least requesting some sort of verification of
    > the request.

    I am pretty sure companies are pretty careful on they give over the
    information only to the right people when asked in an official manner.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 5, 2007
  14. Re:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea El Chippy said

    > NZs version of the CIA basically.

    NSA would be more accurate. GCSB don't bring crack into the country and
    sell it to all the Maori kids.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply

    Robert Singers, Apr 5, 2007
  15. Re: Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep AboutMe

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    >>> represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the
    >>> blink of an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a
    >>> signed warrant in front of them. And you cannot escape this data
    >>> being logged by your ISP unless you do everything over an encrypted
    >>> connection to a remote site.

    >> Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or
    >> whatever you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any
    >> Company/Person) before they have to give any information out to them
    >> about someone else. For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are
    >> 4 examples of agencies that companies may have to supply information
    >> to and as far as I know a company can suppliy information to any of
    >> them without a search warrant in certain circumstances (Check the NZ
    >> Laws before you disagree with this)
    >> Thanks

    > GCSB?

    My old crew Govt Communications Security

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Collector=BBNZ?=, Apr 5, 2007
  16. Heidy

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:28:16 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>> Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    >>> Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or
    >>> whatever you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any
    >>> Company/Person) before they have to give any information out to them
    >>> about someone else. For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are
    >>> 4 examples of agencies that companies may have to supply information
    >>> to and as far as I know a company can suppliy information to any of
    >>> them without a search warrant in certain circumstances (Check the NZ
    >>> Laws before you disagree with this)
    >>> Thanks

    >> GCSB?

    > My old crew Govt Communications Security

    By way of a tenuous link: a French friend of mine was in a military unit
    called GROUFUMACO (French special forces) and was tasked at one time with
    living on some tiny atoll in the South Pacific controlling communications
    between the French home station and the agents who scuttled the Rainbow
    Warrior in NZ.

    His claim to fame.

    My claim to fame, believe it or not- I pissed in Charles Aznavour's tea.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Apr 5, 2007
  17. Re: Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep AboutMe

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > El Chippy wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:29:58 +0100, Heidy wrote:
    >>

    >>>RE:privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep
    >>>About Me
    >>>
    >>>x-no-archive-yes

    >>I doubt this is doing any good in the body of the message, needs
    >>to be in the headers IIRC

    > Not so. But if used in the body it has to be the first line.
    >
    > And it's also not formatted correctly.

    zackly, it's not doing any good as is. And likely not going to do much
    good if used correctly as you suggest as the first line with no other
    text and punctuated correctly, mostly due to quoted text will show what
    was posted anyhow.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 5, 2007
  18. Heidy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > > > Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    > > > Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes
    > > > (or whatever you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or
    > > > any Company/Person) before they have to give any information out
    > > > to them about someone else. For example the Customs, IRD, Police
    > > > and GCSB are 4 examples of agencies that companies may have to
    > > > supply information to and as far as I know a company can suppliy
    > > > information to any of them without a search warrant in certain
    > > > circumstances (Check the NZ Laws before you disagree with this)
    > > > Thanks

    > > GCSB?

    > My old crew Govt Communications Security

    Thanks, and to all others who replied. My ignorance knows no bounds, :)

    So, are these the guys (goons?) who took over from the SIS? I haven't heard
    anything about the SIS for so long now....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 5, 2007
  19. Heidy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Robert Singers wrote:
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea El Chippy said
    >
    > > NZs version of the CIA basically.

    > NSA would be more accurate. GCSB don't bring crack into the country
    > and sell it to all the Maori kids.

    And you know this because????

    And, for the record, the CIA has been /implicated/ in *cocaine* smuggling.
    It's not crack until it hits the lower/middle-men who freebase it to make it
    smokeable.

    In NZ it would be far more profitable (and de-stabilising) to bring in pure
    psuedoephidrine (or just the finished product, methamphetamine). The
    market's already there, as it was for coke/crack in the US.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 6, 2007
  20. Heidy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:37:05 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    > > Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
    > > > represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the
    > > > blink of an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a
    > > > signed warrant in front of them. And you cannot escape this data
    > > > being logged by your ISP unless you do everything over an
    > > > encrypted connection to a remote site.

    > > Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or
    > > whatever you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any
    > > Company/Person) before they have to give any information out to
    > > them about someone else. For example the Customs, IRD, Police and
    > > GCSB are 4 examples of agencies that companies may have to supply
    > > information to and as far as I know a company can suppliy
    > > information to any of them without a search warrant in certain
    > > circumstances (Check the NZ Laws before you disagree with this)
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Indeed, they CAN.. whether they should is another question
    > altogether. Their policy on this sort of thing should be clearly
    > stated in the T & C IMHO. And at the very least they should verify
    > the person is actually who they claim to be.
    >
    > I haven't got much to hide, ( i lead a pretty dull life
    > unfortunately) and i doubt that the authorities would ever be wanting
    > to know what websites i had been surfing, but if they did, i wouldn't
    > really be happy if my ISP handed over data without at least
    > requesting some sort of verification of the request.

    Same here. Nothing to hide but still value my privacy, what of it I have
    left in this information age. I try my hardest to twist at least one fact
    when I have to register for something, never give my correct DOB. (It's
    amazing how many companies still use that as verification of you being you.
    It's not hard to find someone's DOB if they spend much time on the interweb
    and aren't careful..)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 6, 2007