Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by #2 Aluxe, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. #2 Aluxe

    #2 Aluxe Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:40:07 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >>If anyone wanted to gather up all my posts

    > From where? Which database do you plan to extract this from? Which ISP
    > do you know with infinite retention?

    Uh. Google Groups http://groups.google.com

    I see my posts dating back to 1990 (some of which I am embarrassed about as
    they used my maiden name and my young kids don't even know I was previously
    married).

    Luckily I haven't posted using my real name in more than a decade, but, I
    can still easily find all my alt.personals type posts dating back to the
    early nineties in about a nanosecond when I was still married to my first
    husband.

    Don't you realize each and every usenet post archived by google has the
    NNTP posting host and my NNTP posting host uniquely identifies me, whether
    I like it or not. If I had kept the same IP address, then all those posts
    can be tied together by my kids and my spouse and by some kook out there
    (you?).

    I just want to post without having a connection to earlier posts that even
    a grade school child could follow. It's just a little additive privacy that
    is so simple to accomplish if I could only figure out a software way to
    tell the router to dial back into the PPPoE connection.

    #2 Aluxe, Oct 19, 2006

  2. #2 Aluxe

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <v91mngcheq1m.1ieg101lc1cek$>,
    #2 Aluxe <> wrote:

    > I just want to post without having a connection to earlier posts that even
    > a grade school child could follow. It's just a little additive privacy that
    > is so simple to accomplish if I could only figure out a software way to
    > tell the router to dial back into the PPPoE connection.

    Turn the damned thing off at night -- don't you ever sleep? Then you'll
    get a new IP every morning with your coffee and diazepam. Turn it off
    when you go out to walk the dog, turn it off when you're doing the
    laundry.

    My OS has thing that disconnects if it's been idle for a certain time
    (with PPPoE), but the router doesn't do this, for fairly obvious
    reasons. Throw away your external router and connect directly from your
    OS.
    --
    W. Oates
    Teal'c: He is concealing something.