Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Aluxe, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. Aluxe

    Aluxe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, Dana wrote:

    > "Aluxe" <> wrote in message
    >> Same with periodically changing my MAC address, my SSID, my encryption
    >> keys, my login, my password, and my IP address.

    > While some of the above are good security practices, like password changing
    > and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for security
    > reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found (while
    > yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found that
    > mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by
    > changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide
    > forever and eventually they do get caught.

    LOL. Hi Dana,
    I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own
    ISP would I?

    Here's the test:
    a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?
    Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.

    b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
    Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

    c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?
    I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

    Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

    Aluxe, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Aluxe

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:16:26 GMT, Aluxe <> wrote
    in <q3yfghv589x7$.aswlk1e4dgup$>:

    >On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, Dana wrote:
    >
    >> "Aluxe" <> wrote in message
    >>> Same with periodically changing my MAC address, my SSID, my encryption
    >>> keys, my login, my password, and my IP address.

    >> While some of the above are good security practices, like password changing
    >> and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for security
    >> reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found (while
    >> yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found that
    >> mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by
    >> changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide
    >> forever and eventually they do get caught.

    >LOL. Hi Dana,
    >I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own
    >ISP would I?
    >
    >Here's the test:
    >a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?
    >Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.
    >
    >b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
    >Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.
    >
    >c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?
    >I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

    It doesn't.

    >Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

    To make the room dark.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>

    John Navas, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Aluxe

    Dana Guest

    "Aluxe" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, Dana wrote:
    >
    > > "Aluxe" <> wrote in message
    > >> Same with periodically changing my MAC address, my SSID, my encryption
    > >> keys, my login, my password, and my IP address.

    > > While some of the above are good security practices, like password

    changing
    > > and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for

    security
    > > reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found

    (while
    > > yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found

    that
    > > mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by
    > > changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide
    > > forever and eventually they do get caught.

    > LOL. Hi Dana,
    > I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own
    > ISP would I?
    >
    > Here's the test:
    > a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?
    > Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.
    >
    > b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
    > Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

    Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the other
    people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP.
    Remember the ISP is who is identified by that IP address when you run a
    whois.

    > c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?

    Yep, just type in your name you use to post, or the email address you are
    using.
    > I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

    It will not.
    If you want to post anonymously, you have to use a remailer type of service.
    They strip your headers, and replace them with theirs.

    > Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

    I leave mine open. But I do not have any visible neighbors

    Dana, Oct 17, 2006
  4. On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:16:26 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Aluxe
    <> wrote:

    >Here's the test:
    >a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?

    The question is, why do you care? There are two possible answers:
    1) you're clinically paranoid
    2) you have a guilty concience

    I can't currently think of a third.

    >c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?
    >I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

    Not really. Anyone who REALLY wanted to track you would monitor posts
    for your characteristic posting style, and would catch you very
    quickly.

    >Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

    I don't. I'm not paranoid.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Aluxe

    Aluxe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:38:20 -0800, Dana wrote:
    >> b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
    >> Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

    > Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the other
    > people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP.

    Hi Dana,
    I think you are making my point for me (I think).

    If I had the lease on an IP address for, say, the past three months, then
    you could find all my posts (no matter which pseudonym I chose) for that
    three-month period, simply by searching for one line in the nntp header.

    If I had the same IP address for, say, six months, then I just doubled that
    vulnerable tracking period.

    Likewise, if I held the lease only for a day, then you'd only be able to
    track my posts for one day.

    Arent' you agreeing with me then on the need to change the IP address
    periodically for those of us whose ISP lists the IP address of our routers?

    Aluxe, Oct 18, 2006
  6. Aluxe

    Aluxe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:50:14 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > The question is, why do you care? There are two possible answers:
    > 1) you're clinically paranoid
    > 2) you have a guilty concience

    Hi Mark McIntyre,

    Wanting privacy doesn't mean you're clinically paranoid. Are you saying
    everyone who closes the bathroom door is clinically paranoid? Or that they
    have a guilty conscience?

    Are you implying that everyone who pulls the voting booth curtain shut has
    a guilty conscience (maybe they are a tax evader?).

    And, everyone who licks an envelope shut has a guilty conscience?

    I like you (and I appreciate your help) ... but I think you are stretching
    the situation to say that everyone who desires a modicum of privacy has a
    guilty conscience or is paranoid except you.

    All I want to do is figure out a way to tell the router to wake up and dial
    into the DSL PPOE (or whatever it is) when I give it a command from the
    computer.

    Aluxe, Oct 18, 2006
  7. Aluxe

    Dana Guest

    "Aluxe" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:38:20 -0800, Dana wrote:
    > >> b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
    > >> Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

    > > Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the

    other
    > > people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP.

    > Hi Dana,
    > I think you are making my point for me (I think).
    >
    > If I had the lease on an IP address for, say, the past three months, then
    > you could find all my posts (no matter which pseudonym I chose) for that
    > three-month period, simply by searching for one line in the nntp header.

    So you are an abuser of the system, or else you would not have to change
    your pseudonym all the time. People who do that is the newsgroups are either
    spammers, or people just trying to disrupt the newsroup, or people who keep
    getting blocked by their other ISPs from posting to newsgroups.

    > Arent' you agreeing with me then on the need to change the IP address
    > periodically for those of us whose ISP lists the IP address of our

    routers?

    No.

    Dana, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Aluxe

    Aluxe Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:55:01 -0800, Dana wrote:
    > So you are an abuser of the system, or else you would not have to change
    > your pseudonym all the time.

    Hi Dana,
    I do appreciate your help ... and this conversation will help many others
    .... but I must wonder why you instantly assume anyone who wants privacy is
    an "abuser of the system".

    Am I an abuser of the system because I close the bathroom door?
    Am I an abuser of the system because I lick my envelopes shut?
    Am I an abuser of the system because I participate in anonymous surveys?

    Of course not.

    Please don't assume that a sincere desire to remain private is an automatic
    conviction for system abuse.

    I have posted to many alt.personals groups, for example, and I don't want
    my kids to see them. Are you saying that I'm an abuser of the system
    because I don't post using my real name? Or that I don't use the same name
    for the personal posts vs the technical posts vs the work related posts?

    Which of my actions above caused me to be condemned as an abuser of the
    system?

    All I want to know is how to wake up the PPPOE part of the linksys router
    so that it dials back into the DSL ISP with my login and password so that I
    don't have to unplug the router to force it to do so.

    Aluxe, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Aluxe

    Dana Guest

    "Aluxe" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:55:01 -0800, Dana wrote:
    > > So you are an abuser of the system, or else you would not have to change
    > > your pseudonym all the time.

    > Hi Dana,
    > I do appreciate your help ... and this conversation will help many others
    > ... but I must wonder why you instantly assume anyone who wants privacy is
    > an "abuser of the system".

    But you do not want privacy, you are trying to circumvent the system.
    For all we know is maybe you harass people on the newsgroups, hence filters
    were put in place against you, and you are trying to get around them.

    > Please don't assume that a sincere desire to remain private is an

    automatic
    > conviction for system abuse.

    It seems you may have different motives for masking your location

    > I have posted to many alt.personals groups, for example, and I don't want
    > my kids to see them. Are you saying that I'm an abuser of the system
    > because I don't post using my real name?

    Nope. There are many different screen names running around the internet

    > Or that I don't use the same name
    > for the personal posts vs the technical posts vs the work related posts?

    Nope, again that is common practice

    > Which of my actions above caused me to be condemned as an abuser of the
    > system?

    Your insistence on trying to hide you Mac address. Since you use DHCP your
    IP address is not important. Your Mac address is what identifies your
    computer.
    While people from the outside, except your ISP cannot see your MAC, the fact
    that you want to change it, indicates you may be up to something that forces
    you to want to hide. Just like what mass mailers, spammers, and phishers do.

    Dana, Oct 18, 2006
  10. Aluxe

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <8r03f7mb5zxm$.1oztuq2848t1y$>,
    Aluxe <> wrote:

    > I have posted to many alt.personals groups, for example, and I don't want
    > my kids to see them. Are you saying that I'm an abuser of the system
    > because I don't post using my real name? Or that I don't use the same name
    > for the personal posts vs the technical posts vs the work related posts?

    If that's all you want, buy a premium NNTP service. Use X-no-archive
    (it's not perfect, but your original headers won't show).
    --
    W. Oates
    Teal'c: He is concealing something.

    Warren Oates, Oct 18, 2006
  11. 1) You probably cannot change the important information that allows
    your ISP to know who you are, e.g. your MAC address, because if you
    do your ISP will not know that your computer is yours and not let
    you onto the net at all. Your ISP knows which customers are paying
    it and only lets those customers users its facilities. Trying to
    protect your IP at your home is a losing proposition.

    2) If you go to a hotspot, you can probably spoof your mac address and
    still be let onto the net (the hotspot vendor won't care, because
    they are providing the service for "free") and you will probably
    get a unique IP address (if you don't always go to the same
    hotspot).

    3) If you want to send anonymous emails and postings (such as
    alt.personals), then you probably should use the appropriate
    anonymizing services and/or "free email accounts". Note that there
    are sites that convert emails into postings, so you can email from
    such free accounts and still post into newsgroups. If you want to
    be paranoid about that, use such accounts only from hotspots.

    However, seriously consider your motivations for being hurtful.
    It's really poor behavior. Are you really proud that you insulted
    some woman who is now overweight that used to call you Twiggy?
    Personally, I would find such behavior worse than the people who
    send me spam. So, yes, you are abusing the system when you use
    anonymity to do that.

    4) Don't worry so much about your privacy at home. "We wouldn't care
    what others thought about us, if we realized how seldom they do."
    Your kids probably aren't that interested in your internet habits.
    Moreover, the stuff which you should be embarrassed about, they
    probably already know, since most of the important things about us
    are things we can't hide at all. You just told the world that you
    were willing to spite someone because they insulted you long ago--I
    suspect that people who know you already knew that about you.

    Hope this helps,
    -Chris

    Chris Clark Internet :
    23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
    Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)

    Chris F Clark, Oct 18, 2006
  12. On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:37:29 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Aluxe
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:50:14 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >> The question is, why do you care? There are two possible answers:
    >> 1) you're clinically paranoid
    >> 2) you have a guilty concience

    >Hi Mark McIntyre,
    >
    >Wanting privacy doesn't mean you're clinically paranoid.

    Agreed. However insisting on idiotic security measures with no benefit
    is either paranoia or ignorance.

    >Are you saying everyone who closes the bathroom door is clinically paranoid?

    You keep bringing this in as though it was relevant or comparable.
    Here's a better metaphor:

    Are you saying everyone who removes their mailbox and never answers
    the phone is clinically paranoid? Or that they have a guilty
    conscience?

    >Are you implying

    yadda yadda. Listing totally unrelated privacy issues is not going to
    strengthen your case.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 19, 2006