Re: "Prison-mouth" get you taken care of

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    This is one reason why I no longer do file sharing.
    The newer programs have all been written and designed to peek into another
    machine without the consent or knowledge of the owner.
    For instance, a popular program known as bittorrent, includes a file that
    even if you are not online with the program, still allows others to see
    your files. Once I found out that was happening, I ditched the program and
    had to remove the other program as well seperately.

    But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
    enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
    knowledge, without a warrant?
    Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
    criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

    Many law enforcement people wrongfully believe that mere nudity is illegal.
    This is not true. The laws of the US quite clearly spell out what is legal
    and what is not.

    Without being able to view the images in question, I could not say if they
    were legal or not. And you know that ain't gonna happen.

    As for the punishment, I believe is overkill. Putting a person in prison
    for possession of 1 illegal image for even 5 years is to harsh. That would
    be like being sent to prison for jaywalking.

    Ok moral majority. Your turn to speak up.

    richard, Nov 18, 2009

  2. richard

    iL_weReo Guest

    On Nov 18, 2:43 am, Steve <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:49:53 -0700, richard <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >This is one reason why I no longer do file sharing.

    > > Since you didn't quote any of the post you're replying to, and I for
    > > one didn't see the post you're replying to, I for one have no clue
    > > what you're talking about.

    > I guess that makes two of you. RtS never knows what he's blathering about..
    >
    > <snip>

    I usually do.

    iL_weReo, Nov 18, 2009

  3. richard

    Keith Guest

    On 2009-11-18, richard <> wrote:
    > But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
    > enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
    > knowledge, without a warrant?

    If you publish them on the Internet for any one to see the police can
    look at the files also with no warrant. It is no different then taking the
    photographs and standing on a street corner for all to see in the eyes of
    the law.

    > Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
    > criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

    No, if you make something publicly available on the Internet the police
    can look at it with no warrant. They need a warrant to seize the evidence
    in your house and with the photographs posted publicly on the Internet
    that gives them probable cause for a warrant.
    The only time they need a warrant to view the contents of your computer
    is if you require a password to view the material and they don't have the
    password, but if the person that owns the computer publishes that password
    then the police can use the password to examine your computer.

    Basically *public* file sharing on your computer is no different then
    publishing the contents on a blog or web site.

    --
    Best Regards, Keith | http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
    Tired of Google Groups? Use free Usenet access & programs.

    Keith, Nov 18, 2009
  4. richard

    iL_weReo Guest

    On Nov 18, 6:17 am, Keith <> wrote:
    > On 2009-11-18, richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
    > > enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
    > > knowledge, without a warrant?

    >  If you publish them on the Internet for any one to see the police can
    > look at the files also with no warrant. It is no different then taking the
    > photographs and standing on a street corner for all to see in the eyes of
    > the law.
    >
    > > Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
    > > criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

    >  No, if you make something publicly available on the Internet the police
    > can look at it with no warrant. They need a warrant to seize the evidence
    > in your house and with the photographs posted publicly on the Internet
    > that gives them probable cause for a warrant.
    >  The only time they need a warrant to view the contents of your computer
    > is if you require a password to view the material and they don't have the
    > password, but if the person that owns the computer publishes that password
    > then the police can use the password to examine your computer.
    >
    >  Basically *public* file sharing on your computer is no different then
    > publishing the contents on a blog or web site.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards, Keith   |http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
    > Tired of Google Groups? Use free Usenet access & programs.http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/usenet.html

    Gawd DUMB!

    iL_weReo, Nov 18, 2009
  5. On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:09:21 -0500, WeReo_ScoTTy <_spamm84037uj> wrote:
    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-11-18, richard <> wrote:
    >>> But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
    >>> enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
    >>> knowledge, without a warrant?

    >> If you publish them on the Internet for any one to see the police can
    >> look at the files also with no warrant. It is no different then taking the
    >> photographs and standing on a street corner for all to see in the eyes of
    >> the law.
    >>
    >>> Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
    >>> criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

    >> No, if you make something publicly available on the Internet the police
    >> can look at it with no warrant. They need a warrant to seize the evidence
    >> in your house and with the photographs posted publicly on the Internet
    >> that gives them probable cause for a warrant.
    >> The only time they need a warrant to view the contents of your computer
    >> is if you require a password to view the material and they don't have the
    >> password, but if the person that owns the computer publishes that password
    >> then the police can use the password to examine your computer.
    >>
    >> Basically *public* file sharing on your computer is no different then
    >> publishing the contents on a blog or web site.

    > Our "resident PeD" Terry Herzog refused to part with his password even after
    > the bust. Shows you how hardnosed he is.
    >
    > The next time the police and/or feds go to 671 Waycross Road in Cincinatti
    > will be their last.

    What's the problem? You obviously wouldn't qualify for existing in
    Lockland...and this native Kentuckian learned to spell Cincinnati a decade
    or two before you.

    --
    Patrick L. "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey () Houston, Texas
    www.io.com/~patrick/aeros.php (TCI's 2008-09 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

    The Chief Instigator, Nov 19, 2009
  6. richard

    iL_weReo Guest

    On Nov 20, 10:50 am, "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote:
    > Meat Plow <> pinched out a steaming pile ofnews::
    >

    > > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:24:33 -0600, The Old Sourdough
    > > <>wrote:

    > >> Meat Plow mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > >>St00pid isn't smart enough to turn off his client and stop
    > >>seeding.

    > > He's lucky to be smart enough to place one foot in front of the
    > > other to create forward motion.

    > Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."forward motion".....
    > mmmmmmm
    >
    > <eyes roll back in head>