Re: Printing B&W digital photos at home?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Houghton, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. "Wayne P" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All, Being new to this . . Do any of you print Black & White photos at
    > home? Do they turn out B&W or do they have a color haze to them?

    Getting a good neutral b&w print out of a colour printer is much harder than
    getting a good colour print. For best image quality, you generally have to
    use the printer in its colour mode, and the print will often show a slight
    colour cast that is hard to remove completely. The way to get a good print
    is to use a custom printer profile with colour managed software such as
    Photoshop or Qimage. Even then, there are complications caused by a
    phenomenon called metamerism. Owing to differences in the way inks react to
    different light sources, a b&w print may show a green cast in daylight and a
    magenta cast in tungsten light, say. Some people get over this by giving
    the print a deliberate tint (e.g. sepia) so that the print looks ok but
    still different in different lighting conditions.

    Another solution is to replace the normal colour inks with a set of black
    and gray inks, e.g. PiezographyBW (see http://www.inkjetmall.com/ ), or
    Lyson Quad Black and Small Gamut inks (www.lyson.com ).

    The Epson 2100/2200 is reputed to be very good at b&w, especially with the
    special printer driver ImagePrint from ColorByte, but you need to be very
    serious to justify this level of expenditure.

    My own experience is limited to an Epson 1290, and I have managed to get
    good b&w prints by careful grayscale correction using Photoshop's curves
    tool, or (more recently) finetuning the printer profile. I do have some
    concerns about metamerism and print longevity, though.

    John
    John Houghton, Jul 17, 2003

  2. John Houghton

    Paul Worden Guest

    I have an Epson 2100 and it is very competent at black and white. It comes
    with a calibration kit for BW.
    It is virtually impossible to print a true neutral grey with colour
    cratridges.
    I print in Sepia mode and it is very consistent in colour and has been for
    several months and many cartridge changes.

    However - John H is correct - if you're really serious about BW, get an
    Epson that will take a CIS and replace the cartridges with dedicated BW
    Pigment Inks from Lyson or similar.

    Paul W
    Paul Worden, Jul 17, 2003