Re: Printers...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Colin.D, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. Colin.D

    Colin.D Guest

    Alan Browne, 9/15/2008 5:29 AM:

    > What printer are you using for photography?
    >
    > Pros/cons of it?
    >
    > Plans to upgrade, change approach, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alan
    >
    > PS: I'm esp. interested in small pro printers such as the Epson 3800 and
    > Canon iPF5100, but all comments are very welcome.

    I use a canon i9950 - i9900 in USA - an A3+ printer with 8 cartridges,
    output is indistinguishable from wet prints except for a vibrance that
    is hard to match with a wet print. Dye inks, reputed to have a 30-year
    life approx., fast printing, a top quality A4 in under 2 minutes, no
    clogging - I've had it for > 2 years, sometimes it sits for a month or
    more, then prints just fine.

    IMHO, regardless of printer, the biggest aid to printing is Qimage, no
    resampling in PS, Qimage resamples straight to the printer's native
    resolution with advanced algorithms from any image ppi, resulting in
    sharper prints than from PS. Pin-sharp images at A4 from a 300D.

    Regards,

    Colin D.
    Colin.D, Sep 15, 2008

  2. Colin.D

    Colin.D Guest

    Alan Browne, 9/16/2008 10:00 AM:

    > Colin.D wrote:
    >> Alan Browne, 9/15/2008 5:29 AM:
    >>

    >>> What printer are you using for photography?
    >>>
    >>> Pros/cons of it?
    >>>
    >>> Plans to upgrade, change approach, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Alan
    >>>
    >>> PS: I'm esp. interested in small pro printers such as the Epson 3800
    >>> and Canon iPF5100, but all comments are very welcome.
    >>>

    >> I use a canon i9950 - i9900 in USA - an A3+ printer with 8 cartridges,
    >> output is indistinguishable from wet prints except for a vibrance that
    >> is hard to match with a wet print. Dye inks, reputed to have a
    >> 30-year life approx., fast printing, a top quality A4 in under 2
    >> minutes, no clogging - I've had it for > 2 years, sometimes it sits
    >> for a month or more, then prints just fine.

    > I believe from what I read that the high end printers have pretty much
    > gotten over clogging issues. While they claim 'reduced' clogging, the
    > feedback is that it is very rare indeed.
    >
    >> IMHO, regardless of printer, the biggest aid to printing is Qimage, no
    >> resampling in PS, Qimage resamples straight to the printer's native
    >> resolution with advanced algorithms from any image ppi, resulting in
    >> sharper prints than from PS. Pin-sharp images at A4 from a 300D.

    > This is something I do need to look into for larger prints, although
    > from the MF scans it will mostly be downsampled; from the a900 (24 Mpix
    > camera) there will be some up sampling on the largest prints.
    >
    > Thanks

    Let Qimage handle all the resampling, up or down, and only resample
    once. Resampling in PS and then having the printer driver do it again
    for the printer's native rez will take the edge off any image.

    Colin D.
    Colin.D, Sep 15, 2008

  3. Colin.D

    measekite Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:50:34 +1200, Colin.D wrote:

    > Alan Browne, 9/16/2008 10:00 AM:
    >
    >> Colin.D wrote:
    >>> Alan Browne, 9/15/2008 5:29 AM:

    >>> I use a canon i9950 - i9900 in USA - an A3+ printer with 8 cartridges,
    >>> output is indistinguishable from wet prints except for a vibrance that
    >>> is hard to match with a wet print. Dye inks, reputed to have a
    >>> 30-year life approx., fast printing, a top quality A4 in under 2
    >>> minutes, no clogging - I've had it for > 2 years, sometimes it sits
    >>> for a month or more, then prints just fine.

    >> I believe from what I read that the high end printers have pretty much
    >> gotten over clogging issues. While they claim 'reduced' clogging, the
    >> feedback is that it is very rare indeed.
    >>
    >>> IMHO, regardless of printer, the biggest aid to printing is Qimage, no
    >>> resampling in PS, Qimage resamples straight to the printer's native
    >>> resolution with advanced algorithms from any image ppi, resulting in
    >>> sharper prints than from PS. Pin-sharp images at A4 from a 300D.

    >> This is something I do need to look into for larger prints, although
    >> from the MF scans it will mostly be downsampled; from the a900 (24 Mpix
    >> camera) there will be some up sampling on the largest prints.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Let Qimage handle all the resampling, up or down, and only resample
    > once. Resampling in PS and then having the printer driver do it again
    > for the printer's native rez will take the edge off any image.
    >

    > Colin D.

    One bad thing about Qimage is it does not run under Linux.
    measekite, Sep 16, 2008