Re: Printers...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Sep 14, 2008.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >What printer are you using for photography?

    I don't.

    >Pros/cons of it?

    Inkjet printers are expensive and too much work to correctly color
    calibrate. If I want a stack of 4x6 prints I'll upload them to be
    printed on real photographic paper at a local store for pickup.

    Big prints I'll upload and have shipped to me.

    >Plans to upgrade, change approach, etc.

    Nope. My HP inkjet is in the garage getting dusty. The price they
    charge for ink cartridges is (IMO) outrageous.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 14, 2008

  2. Ray Fischer

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 14 Sep 2008 21:05:43 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>What printer are you using for photography?

    >I don't.
    >
    >>Pros/cons of it?

    >Inkjet printers are expensive and too much work to correctly color
    >calibrate.

    I've just discovered Printfix Pro 3. It's transformed the output of my
    printer. See
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/Printfix Pro.shtml

    >If I want a stack of 4x6 prints I'll upload them to be
    >printed on real photographic paper at a local store for pickup.

    You are more likely to get dye sublimation prints. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sublimation_printer
    http://printscan.about.com/od/revie2/tp/TP_DyeSub.htm

    >Big prints I'll upload and have shipped to me.
    >
    >>Plans to upgrade, change approach, etc.

    >Nope. My HP inkjet is in the garage getting dusty. The price they
    >charge for ink cartridges is (IMO) outrageous.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Sep 14, 2008

  3. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >>Alan Browne <> wrote:

    >>>What printer are you using for photography?

    >>I don't.
    >>
    >>>Pros/cons of it?

    >>Inkjet printers are expensive and too much work to correctly color
    >>calibrate.

    >I've just discovered Printfix Pro 3. It's transformed the output of my
    >printer. See
    >http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/Printfix Pro.shtml

    That's another $600 to add to the price of prints.

    >>If I want a stack of 4x6 prints I'll upload them to be
    >>printed on real photographic paper at a local store for pickup.

    >You are more likely to get dye sublimation prints.

    I know the difference and I get them printed on real photographic
    paper.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 15, 2008
  4. Ray Fischer

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 15 Sep 2008 01:32:10 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >> (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >>>I don't.

    >>>Inkjet printers are expensive and too much work to correctly color
    >>>calibrate.

    >>I've just discovered Printfix Pro 3. It's transformed the output of my
    >>printer. See
    >>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/Printfix Pro.shtml

    >That's another $600 to add to the price of prints.
    >
    >>>If I want a stack of 4x6 prints I'll upload them to be
    >>>printed on real photographic paper at a local store for pickup.

    >>You are more likely to get dye sublimation prints.

    >I know the difference and I get them printed on real photographic
    >paper.

    I presume you are talking about digital images. How do they get them
    from pixels to images on real photographic paper?

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Sep 15, 2008
  5. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >>>I've just discovered Printfix Pro 3. It's transformed the output of my
    >>>printer. See
    >>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/Printfix Pro.shtml

    >>That's another $600 to add to the price of prints.

    >>>You are more likely to get dye sublimation prints.

    >>I know the difference and I get them printed on real photographic
    >>paper.

    >I presume you are talking about digital images. How do they get them
    >from pixels to images on real photographic paper?

    Same idea as a laser printer except with no toner, three colors, and
    photographic (light sensitive) paper.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 15, 2008
  6. Ray Fischer

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 15 Sep 2008 03:06:39 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >> (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >>>That's another $600 to add to the price of prints.

    >>>I know the difference and I get them printed on real photographic
    >>>paper.

    >>I presume you are talking about digital images. How do they get them
    >>from pixels to images on real photographic paper?

    >Same idea as a laser printer except with no toner, three colors, and
    >photographic (light sensitive) paper.

    Well, I live and learn.

    I've found a lab which can do that almost on my doorstep.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Sep 15, 2008
  7. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >On 15 Sep 2008 03:06:39 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >
    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >>>I presume you are talking about digital images. How do they get them
    >>>from pixels to images on real photographic paper?

    >>Same idea as a laser printer except with no toner, three colors, and
    >>photographic (light sensitive) paper.

    >Well, I live and learn.
    >
    >I've found a lab which can do that almost on my doorstep.

    And I bet it's cheaper than an inkjet.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 15, 2008