Re: Printers...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by measekite, Sep 14, 2008.

  1. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:29:33 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

    > What printer are you using for photography?
    >
    > Pros/cons of it?
    >
    > Plans to upgrade, change approach, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alan
    >
    > PS: I'm esp. interested in small pro printers such as the Epson 3800 and
    > Canon iPF5100, but all comments are very welcome.

    I am considering both of those printers. The Canon has a clear advantage
    in that the image quality is about the same but has the same number of ink
    channels as color carts plus it has a roll feeder. And since it takes
    110ml tanks the ink cost per ml is less.

    That said the Epson Pro3800 offers equal image quality, better support for
    non Epson photo paper, costs about $700 less, costs less to change the ink
    tanks even though the cost per ml is higher, and appears to be a better
    value.

    Unfortunately, neither has drivers for Linux.

    And while Canon is more heavily dependent on their drivers and PS plugins
    Epson appears much more versatile in that regard.

    So what do you think?
    measekite, Sep 14, 2008

  2. Alan wrote on Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:54:46 -0400:

    > measekite wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:29:33 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>
    >>> PS: I'm esp. interested in small pro printers such as the
    >>> Epson 3800 and Canon iPF5100, but all comments are very
    >>> welcome.
    >>>

    >> I am considering both of those printers. The Canon has a
    >> clear advantage in that the image quality is about the same
    >> but has the same number of ink channels as color carts plus
    >> it has a roll feeder. And since it takes 110ml tanks the ink
    >> cost per ml is less.
    >>
    >> That said the Epson Pro3800 offers equal image quality,
    >> better support for non Epson photo paper, costs about $700
    >> less, costs less to change the ink tanks even though the cost
    >> per ml is higher, and appears to be a better value.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, neither has drivers for Linux.

    > Another breakdown on the Linux highway... (Sorry if I chuckle,
    > but after a few years of trying to work with Linux, I've given
    > up. Win/Mac is just more realistic, esp. for photography.
    > I've converted to a mainly Mac environment.)

    >> And while Canon is more heavily dependent on their drivers
    >> and PS plugins Epson appears much more versatile in that
    >> regard.

    Have you seen this site?
    http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_printers.phtml

    The claimed compatabilities are impressive.

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    James Silverton, Sep 14, 2008

  3. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:47:23 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

    > James Silverton wrote:
    >
    >> Have you seen this site?
    >> http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_printers.phtml
    >>
    >> The claimed compatabilities are impressive.

    > ... perhaps, but nothing for the Epson 3800 and Canon iPF5100 ...
    >
    > (ps: the DX3800 is not the 3800, not even close).

    I have the trial version. No drivers for those printers. I sent them an
    email (twice) and received no response. That tells me that when I company
    that is a commercial company that wants your money is not willing to
    provide any support one should think twice about giving it to them.
    measekite, Sep 14, 2008