Re: Printers that do not clog up

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Dec 28, 2012.

  1. In article <part1of1.1.C$Ehkj#>, Tony says...
    > I have to say I have seen Canon printers with burnt out printheads but for
    > every one I have seen, I have seen 20 Epson printers with clogs that were
    > difficult and often impossible to clear.
    > If Roger knew anything about printers he would understand why Epson printers
    > clog. Piezo electric printheads produce terrific results but are prone to clogs
    > and Epson printers use much more ink in cleaning than Canon pronters do.
    > Tony

    Can only agree. Epson printers that aren't worked several days a week
    seem to clog, which is why I will NOT consider buying another inkjet
    from them. We're burning through a fair frew reams of paper here, but
    sometimes the thing sits for a fortnight and that can be enough for an
    Epson to give trouble.

    I am very happy with Canon. Not only is the print quality good, the
    install, drivers, and software-related downtime is miles ahead of HP,
    who seem to hire people like Roger to write their drivers. And I'm a
    long time HP user....
    I left HP behind when they refused to fix a printer that was barely out
    of warranty "no parts!" and I was amazed at the ease of getting a
    networked canon to work, hooked up to the router. The hp software
    regularly needed a grease and oil-change at our system as well as on the
    neighbour's -- the canon has worked flawlessly for 2-3 years now never
    missing a beat.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 28, 2012

  2. On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:29:04 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <part1of1.1.C$Ehkj#>, Tony says...
    >> I have to say I have seen Canon printers with burnt out printheads but for
    >> every one I have seen, I have seen 20 Epson printers with clogs that were
    >> difficult and often impossible to clear.
    >> If Roger knew anything about printers he would understand why Epson printers
    >> clog. Piezo electric printheads produce terrific results but are prone to clogs
    >> and Epson printers use much more ink in cleaning than Canon pronters do.
    >> Tony
    >>

    >Can only agree. Epson printers that aren't worked several days a week
    >seem to clog, which is why I will NOT consider buying another inkjet
    >from them. We're burning through a fair frew reams of paper here, but
    >sometimes the thing sits for a fortnight and that can be enough for an
    >Epson to give trouble.
    >
    >I am very happy with Canon. Not only is the print quality good, the
    >install, drivers, and software-related downtime is miles ahead of HP,
    >who seem to hire people like Roger to write their drivers. And I'm a
    >long time HP user....
    >I left HP behind when they refused to fix a printer that was barely out
    >of warranty "no parts!" and I was amazed at the ease of getting a
    >networked canon to work, hooked up to the router. The hp software
    >regularly needed a grease and oil-change at our system as well as on the
    >neighbour's -- the canon has worked flawlessly for 2-3 years now never
    >missing a beat.
    >
    >-P.

    100% Agree HP is totally crap.

    Frank Williams, Dec 28, 2012

  3. Peter Huebner

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    >"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
    >Can only agree. Epson printers that aren't worked several days a week
    >seem to clog, which is why I will NOT consider buying another inkjet
    >from them. We're burning through a fair frew reams of paper here, but
    >sometimes the thing sits for a fortnight and that can be enough for an
    >Epson to give trouble.

    Which is why my Epson Stylus CX5900 is heading to the wheelie bin. In
    regard to Epson, there's clearly some madness to their method in making the
    print head so inaccessible, because it gets clogged all the time. I can't
    be bothered with such a poorly designed mechanism. A Canon sounds good.
    My workmate has a Canon printer which has lasted him many years.

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Dec 28, 2012
  4. On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:09:40 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >"Fierce Guppy" <> wrote:
    >>>"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
    >>>Can only agree. Epson printers that aren't worked several days a week
    >>>seem to clog, which is why I will NOT consider buying another inkjet
    >>>from them. We're burning through a fair frew reams of paper here, but
    >>>sometimes the thing sits for a fortnight and that can be enough for an
    >>>Epson to give trouble.

    >>Which is why my Epson Stylus CX5900 is heading to the wheelie bin. In
    >>regard to Epson, there's clearly some madness to their method in making the
    >>print head so inaccessible, because it gets clogged all the time. I can't
    >>be bothered with such a poorly designed mechanism. A Canon sounds good.
    >>My workmate has a Canon printer which has lasted him many years.
    >>
    >>Tony.

    >Unfortunately you are right. The Epson printhead design produces excellent
    >results but unless you print regularly it will clog and can be a challenge to
    >clean without removal which as you point out is a complex operation.
    >There used to be a regular poster here (Arthur Entlich) who produced some
    >excellent advice on cleaning Epson printheads. Canon printheads can burn out
    >but it is not a common occurence, at least they are simple to replace which can
    >be cost effective with their more expensive models.
    >Tony

    You can clean a Epson print head in a few min's with a solvent pad
    placed under the head at the parking station

    How is it that I just got a R390, R360 is the US/UK model had been in
    storage for 2 years, it had a faulty cartridge replaced that and it was
    printing from its Original installed Ink cartridges, 82N are a low fill
    one sold in the new printers.

    Frank Williams, Dec 29, 2012
  5. On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:31:58 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:09:40 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    >>dot nz> wrote:

    >>>Unfortunately you are right. The Epson printhead design produces excellent
    >>>results but unless you print regularly it will clog and can be a challenge to
    >>>clean without removal which as you point out is a complex operation.
    >>>There used to be a regular poster here (Arthur Entlich) who produced some
    >>>excellent advice on cleaning Epson printheads. Canon printheads can burn out
    >>>but it is not a common occurence, at least they are simple to replace which
    >>>can
    >>>be cost effective with their more expensive models.
    >>>Tony

    >>You can clean a Epson print head in a few min's with a solvent pad
    >>placed under the head at the parking station
    >>
    >>How is it that I just got a R390, R360 is the US/UK model had been in
    >>storage for 2 years, it had a faulty cartridge replaced that and it was
    >>printing from its Original installed Ink cartridges, 82N are a low fill
    >>one sold in the new printers.

    >Maybe you are a very lucky person, you found the only Epson printer ever made
    >that allows easy cleaning of printheads.
    >Or maybe you are simply delusioned; come to think of it, based on your past
    >record of rudeness and terrible advice that sounds most likely the reason you
    >have posted this nonsense here.
    >
    >Tony

    No Facts I have had 4 Epsons the heads are easy to clean on all of them,
    you just dont have a clue.

    Frank Williams, Dec 29, 2012
  6. On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:00:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> No Facts I have had 4 Epsons ....

    >They must be really reliable !
    >
    >geoff

    No its me that's reliable, I know how to drive them, being a Eng I
    prefer the Technology in the Epsom Print Heads, my first Printer was a
    HP with the print head in the Cartridge, and that gummed up all the
    time.

    I only use the Epson for Photo prints, Cards and CD/DVD's

    But This Brother is my main printer .HL 2040

    I have a $2nz brother that I picked up at a Tip recycle center, it was
    just low of Toner, all you need to do is to reset a lever and bock up
    the sensing holes, then some months back got a new Toner for $10
    at a Oc shop.

    Plus reset some counters.

    To me its totally Stupid to use a Ink jet for BW printing.

    Frank Williams, Dec 30, 2012
  7. Peter Huebner

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:30:23 +1300, Frank Williams wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:00:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> No Facts I have had 4 Epsons ....

    >>They must be really reliable !
    >>
    >>geoff
    >>

    > No its me that's reliable, I know how to drive them, being a Eng I
    > prefer the Technology in the Epsom Print Heads, my first Printer was a
    > HP with the print head in the Cartridge, and that gummed up all the
    > time.
    >
    > I only use the Epson for Photo prints, Cards and CD/DVD's
    >
    > But This Brother is my main printer .HL 2040
    >
    > I have a $2nz brother that I picked up at a Tip recycle center, it was
    > just low of Toner, all you need to do is to reset a lever and bock up
    > the sensing holes, then some months back got a new Toner for $10 at a Oc
    > shop.
    >
    > Plus reset some counters.
    >
    > To me its totally Stupid to use a Ink jet for BW printing.

    But As He Said You Have Had Four Of Them So They Can't Be That Reliable.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Dec 30, 2012
  8. "Frank Williams" wrote in message news:...

    > To me its totally Stupid to use a Ink jet for BW printing.

    Even in a situation where you have space for just one printer? Or, in your opinion, is it totally Stupid to be in such a situation?

    Matti P.

    Matti Partonen, Dec 30, 2012
  9. Peter Huebner

    Rich Hare Guest

    Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:00:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    > But This Brother is my main printer .HL 2040
    >
    > I have a $2nz brother that I picked up at a Tip recycle center, it was
    > just low of Toner, all you need to do is to reset a lever and bock up
    > the sensing holes, then some months back got a new Toner for $10
    > at a Oc shop.
    >
    > Plus reset some counters.
    >
    > To me its totally Stupid to use a Ink jet for BW printing.

    Frank,
    I use a HP 2000C for my color printing for many of the reasons that have
    been cited here, and a Brother 2040 for my black and white.

    I changed a cartridge on my 2040 not too long ago and it didn't take
    long for the Brother to start reporting "Out of Toner". I learned,
    later, that you're supposed to keep it powered up when you change the
    toner cartridge.

    Can you tell me (and the rest of the world) how to reset the lever and
    block up the sensing holes? Or maybe a link to an internet source for
    the process? I've looked and not found one, but have seen hints that
    it's do-able.

    Rich
    (In Michigan, USA)

    Rich Hare, Dec 30, 2012
  10. On 30 Dec 2012 10:35:31 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:30:23 +1300, Frank Williams wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:00:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>They must be really reliable !
    >>>
    >>>geoff
    >>>

    >> No its me that's reliable, I know how to drive them, being a Eng I
    >> prefer the Technology in the Epsom Print Heads, my first Printer was a
    >> HP with the print head in the Cartridge, and that gummed up all the
    >> time.
    >>
    >> I only use the Epson for Photo prints, Cards and CD/DVD's
    >>
    >> But This Brother is my main printer .HL 2040
    >>
    >> I have a $2nz brother that I picked up at a Tip recycle center, it was
    >> just low of Toner, all you need to do is to reset a lever and bock up
    >> the sensing holes, then some months back got a new Toner for $10 at a Oc
    >> shop.
    >>
    >> Plus reset some counters.
    >>
    >> To me its totally Stupid to use a Ink jet for BW printing.

    >But As He Said You Have Had Four Of Them So They Can't Be That Reliable.

    HAVE HAD due to upgrades its that simple plus when there is a bargain
    around like my present one for $20

    Frank Williams, Dec 30, 2012
  11. On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 07:23:39 -0500, Rich Hare <>
    wrote:

    >Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:00:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >> But This Brother is my main printer .HL 2040
    >>
    >> I have a $2nz brother that I picked up at a Tip recycle center, it was
    >> just low of Toner, all you need to do is to reset a lever and bock up
    >> the sensing holes, then some months back got a new Toner for $10
    >> at a Oc shop.
    >>
    >> Plus reset some counters.
    >>
    >> To me its totally Stupid to use a Ink jet for BW printing.

    >Frank,
    >I use a HP 2000C for my color printing for many of the reasons that have
    >been cited here, and a Brother 2040 for my black and white.
    >
    >I changed a cartridge on my 2040 not too long ago and it didn't take
    >long for the Brother to start reporting "Out of Toner". I learned,
    >later, that you're supposed to keep it powered up when you change the
    >toner cartridge.
    >
    >Can you tell me (and the rest of the world) how to reset the lever and
    >block up the sensing holes? Or maybe a link to an internet source for
    >the process? I've looked and not found one, but have seen hints that
    >it's do-able.
    >
    >Rich
    >(In Michigan, USA)

    Well most of the links I kept have dried up..

    Here are just 3 that are still active

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/39806

    http://swiftlife.net/wordpress/?p=43

    http://www.filecrop.com/service-manual-brother-hl-2040.html

    You will need a copy of the service manual and the pictures of how to
    reset the gear lever, and it not that simple and there is a small sping
    that can get lost or put in the wrong place.

    The Gear lever is to tell the printer that you have inserted a new
    toner, it moves when the pinter is being used and has to be set back to
    the start point.

    I will do some more looking

    Frank Williams, Dec 31, 2012
  12. Peter Huebner

    Rich Hare Guest

    Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 07:23:39 -0500, Rich Hare <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Can you tell me (and the rest of the world) how to reset the lever and
    >> block up the sensing holes? Or maybe a link to an internet source for
    >> the process? I've looked and not found one, but have seen hints that
    >> it's do-able.
    >>
    >> Rich
    >> (In Michigan, USA)

    > Here are some more The Flag gear pictures can be seen in the You Tube
    > videos, you only need to use the bits at the end on how to reset the
    > Flag Gear..
    >
    > http://www.s-manuals.com/printer/brother_hl-2040
    >
    > http://hosted.comm100.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx?siteid=137491&id=10
    >
    > http://www.chernila.by/img/zapravka_pdf/Brother_TN670_Oasis.pdf
    >
    > • Brother ML-2040 Toner Light Reset
    >

    > 1. Open the Front cover
    > 2. Press and hold the GO button
    > 3. Power ON the printer while continuing to hold the GO button
    > 4. Once the 3 LED’s are lit, release the GO button
    > 5. Press the GO button 2 times. This will cause the LED’s to light solid
    > 6. With the LED’s lit solid, press the GO button 5 times
    > 7. Toner Life End will then reset
    > 8. Close the front cover.

    Frank,
    Thank you VERY MUCH for your extensive help. I've looked at all of the
    resources you've listed and bookmarked them. Fortunately, the one which
    seemed to TOTALLY resolve the problem is the Toner Light Reset which
    you've described above. I'm back in business now just fine!

    A minor correction to my request, however: My printer is a 2240 (not
    2040 as I stated). Makes no difference, I guess... the fix worked!

    Again, thank you for your extensive help!

    Rich

    Rich Hare, Jan 1, 2013