Re: Printer drivers - HEY JEFF - ABOUT W98 software

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Dec 31, 2010.

  1. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Hey Jeff,
    >
    > An aside from the printer driver ranting. Just wanted to let you know
    > that WinXP (at least Home version) still supports most of the Win9x-based
    > software. That was a big relief to me when I upgraded to XP since I had a
    > multitude of 9x programs with no XP equivalents.
    >
    > Since some of the software back then was VB-based, you may have to install
    > VB Run Files, but that only takes a few minutes I was glad to learn.
    >
    > I forget which program now, but I actually have one on my comp somewhere
    > that was made for Win 3.1/Win95 - how cool is that. That's rare, though,
    > as you know.
    >
    > Of course, for Vista and Win7 - well, that's a horse of a different color,
    > I suppose.
    >
    > Keep on groovin' Jeff

    WinXP will support lots of things, but when you get to SP3, then the older
    hardware (printers and such) will no longer work.

    I had a Xerox printer that worked perfectly fine. I don't remember what
    happened to the computer, but it was upgraded from Win98 to WinXP, and the
    printer still worked with SP2. It wasn't long before SP3 came along, and the
    printer wold not work any more.

    This is a bigger issue (happens more) with hardware than with software
    because legacy software is required to work for the most part. New software
    can require the latest OS, but the latest OS will not usually kill an old
    software program. It happens that new OS will stop an old application, but
    usually a new app will require a current OS.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 31, 2010

  2. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hey Jeff,
    >>>
    >>> An aside from the printer driver ranting. Just wanted to let you know
    >>> that WinXP (at least Home version) still supports most of the
    >>> Win9x-based software. That was a big relief to me when I upgraded to XP
    >>> since I had a multitude of 9x programs with no XP equivalents.
    >>>
    >>> Since some of the software back then was VB-based, you may have to
    >>> install VB Run Files, but that only takes a few minutes I was glad to
    >>> learn.
    >>>
    >>> I forget which program now, but I actually have one on my comp somewhere
    >>> that was made for Win 3.1/Win95 - how cool is that. That's rare,
    >>> though, as you know.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, for Vista and Win7 - well, that's a horse of a different
    >>> color, I suppose.
    >>>
    >>> Keep on groovin' Jeff

    >> WinXP will support lots of things, but when you get to SP3, then the
    >> older hardware (printers and such) will no longer work.
    >>
    >> I had a Xerox printer that worked perfectly fine. I don't remember what
    >> happened to the computer, but it was upgraded from Win98 to WinXP, and
    >> the printer still worked with SP2. It wasn't long before SP3 came along,
    >> and the printer wold not work any more.
    >>
    >> This is a bigger issue (happens more) with hardware than with software
    >> because legacy software is required to work for the most part. New
    >> software can require the latest OS, but the latest OS will not usually
    >> kill an old software program. It happens that new OS will stop an old
    >> application, but usually a new app will require a current OS.
    >>

    > See if SP4 (whenever it becomes available) fixes the problem.
    > You may have to re-install from scratch, upgrade to SP4 and _then_
    > install the problematical stuff.

    One, there will be no SP4.
    Two, it is advancement that indicates you need to move on, it is not a
    problem.
    Three, you are the one that is sending dinosaurs to Mars. I'm building
    robots for Mars.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 31, 2010

  3. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message

    >>> See if SP4 (whenever it becomes available) fixes the problem.
    >>> You may have to re-install from scratch, upgrade to SP4 and _then_
    >>> install the problematical stuff.

    >> One, there will be no SP4.
    >> Two, it is advancement that indicates you need to move on, it is not a
    >> problem.
    >> Three, you are the one that is sending dinosaurs to Mars. I'm building
    >> robots for Mars.
    >>

    > "no SP4" is an advancement????

    No, that's not what I said. You said your lack of a print driver was a
    "problem" that might be corrected in SP4. There is no SP4, _and_ your
    "problem," isn't a problem that anybody but you recognizes. Everybody else
    sees your problem as your equipment having been made obsolete.
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 1, 2011