Re: Printer drivers - HEY JEFF - ABOUT W98 software

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kele, Dec 30, 2010.

  1. Kele

    Kele Guest

    I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)... well beyond Microsoft
    discontinued support. What started to suck was that new software and
    peripherals refused to install on the Win98. About the same time, my first
    PC (the Win98) started acting up with a noisy HD when cold. Then a
    dumpster-dive XP came into my life; I'm conversing with you now on it. I
    was scared, but Win XP turned out to be just as good as my ol' friend Win98
    and is more crash resistant. I think except for one game, everything from
    Win98 worked on XP - I too was relieved. Can't say the same for Win7...
    Several of my cherished Photoshop plugins won't install on the Win7 even
    when doing the compatibility thing - I'm concerned.



    --------------------------
    "James D Andrews" <>:

    Hey Jeff,

    An aside from the printer driver ranting. Just wanted to let you know that
    WinXP (at least Home version) still supports most of the Win9x-based
    software. That was a big relief to me when I upgraded to XP since I had a
    multitude of 9x programs with no XP equivalents.

    Since some of the software back then was VB-based, you may have to install
    VB Run Files, but that only takes a few minutes I was glad to learn.

    I forget which program now, but I actually have one on my comp somewhere
    that was made for Win 3.1/Win95 - how cool is that. That's rare, though, as
    you know.

    Of course, for Vista and Win7 - well, that's a horse of a different color, I
    suppose.

    Keep on groovin' Jeff



    --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
     
    Kele, Dec 30, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Kele

    Baron Guest

    Kele Inscribed thus:

    > I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...


    I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have one
    single business database application that runs on a W98SE dedicated
    machine with no internet connection !

    Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to Linux,
    well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through all the hoops
    again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it won't
    matter... till then it does just fine !

    Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with Linux, its
    just the application/management system that won't work.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, Dec 31, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Kele

    Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > Kele Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...

    >
    > I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have one
    > single business database application that runs on a W98SE dedicated
    > machine with no internet connection !
    >
    > Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to Linux,
    > well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through all the hoops
    > again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it won't
    > matter... till then it does just fine !
    >
    > Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with Linux, its
    > just the application/management system that won't work.
    >


    Same here, Baron!!

    On my Desktop, the Family Tree program I use runs on Win98, but I do
    most of my stuff on Mandriva Linux.

    About a year ago, (largely because of the "less than 1GByte RAM" limit
    on Win98) I brought myself a laptop which came with Win7, but I've made
    it dual boot for my Mandriva.

    One day I'll find a Genealogy program for linux that I like as much as
    Family Tree for Windows!!

    Daniel
     
    , Jan 1, 2011
    #3
  4. Kele

    Baron Guest

    Hi Daniel,
    Inscribed thus:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> Kele Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...

    >>
    >> I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have one
    >> single business database application that runs on a W98SE dedicated
    >> machine with no internet connection !
    >>
    >> Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to
    >> Linux, well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through all
    >> the hoops
    >> again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it won't
    >> matter... till then it does just fine !
    >>
    >> Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with Linux,
    >> its just the application/management system that won't work.
    >>

    >
    > Same here, Baron!!
    >
    > On my Desktop, the Family Tree program I use runs on Win98, but I do
    > most of my stuff on Mandriva Linux.
    >
    > About a year ago, (largely because of the "less than 1GByte RAM" limit
    > on Win98)


    I recall that I had to enter and change a parameter in Win.ini to allow
    the use of 512Mb.

    > I brought myself a laptop which came with Win7, but I've
    > made it dual boot for my Mandriva.
    >
    > One day I'll find a Genealogy program for linux that I like as much as
    > Family Tree for Windows!!
    >
    > Daniel


    At least we are not alone. :)
    Have a happy New Year.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, Jan 1, 2011
    #4
  5. Kele

    Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Baron wrote:
    >> Hi Daniel, Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> Baron wrote:
    >>>> Kele Inscribed thus:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...
    >>>> I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have one
    >>>> single business database application that runs on a W98SE dedicated
    >>>> machine with no internet connection !
    >>>>
    >>>> Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to
    >>>> Linux, well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through all
    >>>> the hoops
    >>>> again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it won't
    >>>> matter... till then it does just fine !
    >>>>
    >>>> Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with Linux,
    >>>> its just the application/management system that won't work.
    >>>>
    >>> Same here, Baron!!
    >>>
    >>> On my Desktop, the Family Tree program I use runs on Win98, but I do
    >>> most of my stuff on Mandriva Linux.
    >>>
    >>> About a year ago, (largely because of the "less than 1GByte RAM" limit
    >>> on Win98)

    >>
    >> I recall that I had to enter and change a parameter in Win.ini to allow
    >> the use of 512Mb.

    > * As far as i can remember (since it was ages ago) i only had to alter
    > Win.ini to use 2Gby of RAM.
    >


    Gee!! Even 2GB would have been an improvement....I was only using 375MB!

    Happy New Year.

    Daniel
     
    , Jan 2, 2011
    #5
  6. Kele

    Baron Guest

    Inscribed thus:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Baron wrote:
    >>> Hi Daniel, Inscribed thus:
    >>>
    >>>> Baron wrote:
    >>>>> Kele Inscribed thus:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...
    >>>>> I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have one
    >>>>> single business database application that runs on a W98SE
    >>>>> dedicated machine with no internet connection !
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to
    >>>>> Linux, well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through all
    >>>>> the hoops
    >>>>> again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it
    >>>>> won't matter... till then it does just fine !
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with
    >>>>> Linux, its just the application/management system that won't work.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Same here, Baron!!
    >>>>
    >>>> On my Desktop, the Family Tree program I use runs on Win98, but I
    >>>> do most of my stuff on Mandriva Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> About a year ago, (largely because of the "less than 1GByte RAM"
    >>>> limit on Win98)
    >>>
    >>> I recall that I had to enter and change a parameter in Win.ini to
    >>> allow the use of 512Mb.

    >> * As far as i can remember (since it was ages ago) i only had to
    >> alter Win.ini to use 2Gby of RAM.
    >>

    >
    > Gee!! Even 2GB would have been an improvement....I was only using
    > 375MB!
    >
    > Happy New Year.
    >
    > Daniel


    Yep ! 3 slots with 128Mb sticks...

    Happy New Year folks. :)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, Jan 2, 2011
    #6
  7. Kele

    Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> Baron wrote:
    >>>> Hi Daniel, Inscribed thus:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Baron wrote:
    >>>>>> Kele Inscribed thus:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...
    >>>>>> I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have one
    >>>>>> single business database application that runs on a W98SE
    >>>>>> dedicated machine with no internet connection !
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to
    >>>>>> Linux, well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through all
    >>>>>> the hoops
    >>>>>> again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it
    >>>>>> won't matter... till then it does just fine !
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with
    >>>>>> Linux, its just the application/management system that won't work.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Same here, Baron!!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On my Desktop, the Family Tree program I use runs on Win98, but I
    >>>>> do most of my stuff on Mandriva Linux.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> About a year ago, (largely because of the "less than 1GByte RAM"
    >>>>> limit on Win98)
    >>>>
    >>>> I recall that I had to enter and change a parameter in Win.ini to
    >>>> allow the use of 512Mb.
    >>> * As far as i can remember (since it was ages ago) i only had to
    >>> alter Win.ini to use 2Gby of RAM.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Gee!! Even 2GB would have been an improvement....I was only using
    >> 375MB!
    >>
    >> Happy New Year.
    >>
    >> Daniel

    >
    > Yep ! 3 slots with 128Mb sticks...
    >
    > Happy New Year folks. :)
    >


    No, as I recall I only had two slots, 256M and 128MB.

    Daniel
     
    , Jan 3, 2011
    #7
  8. Kele

    Baron Guest

    Inscribed thus:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>>> Baron wrote:
    >>>>> Hi Daniel, Inscribed thus:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Baron wrote:
    >>>>>>> Kele Inscribed thus:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> I thought I was the last hold-out to use Win98(SE)...
    >>>>>>> I can assure you that you are not ! Whilst I run Linux I have
    >>>>>>> one single business database application that runs on a W98SE
    >>>>>>> dedicated machine with no internet connection !
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Before anyone says that I could run WINE or port the database to
    >>>>>>> Linux, well yes I could, but then I would have to jump through
    >>>>>>> all the hoops
    >>>>>>> again to get the application re-approved. In 18 months time it
    >>>>>>> won't matter... till then it does just fine !
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Actually I've no problems accessing the database itself with
    >>>>>>> Linux, its just the application/management system that won't
    >>>>>>> work.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> Same here, Baron!!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> On my Desktop, the Family Tree program I use runs on Win98, but I
    >>>>>> do most of my stuff on Mandriva Linux.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> About a year ago, (largely because of the "less than 1GByte RAM"
    >>>>>> limit on Win98)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I recall that I had to enter and change a parameter in Win.ini to
    >>>>> allow the use of 512Mb.
    >>>> * As far as i can remember (since it was ages ago) i only had to
    >>>> alter Win.ini to use 2Gby of RAM.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Gee!! Even 2GB would have been an improvement....I was only using
    >>> 375MB!
    >>>
    >>> Happy New Year.
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >>
    >> Yep ! 3 slots with 128Mb sticks...
    >>
    >> Happy New Year folks. :)
    >>

    >
    > No, as I recall I only had two slots, 256M and 128MB.
    >
    > Daniel


    Must have been a more modern board ! It was common in the early days to
    have three slots and three similar size sticks in them. Though I do
    recall Intel having some problem and moving to 2 slot boards. Some
    in-between boards had a dummy or termination stick in the third slot,
    which if removed/replaced by a ram stick stopped the machine from
    running.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, Jan 3, 2011
    #8
  9. Kele

    Kele Guest

    Re: RAM

    That's what I have on XP machine, two slots with 256 & 128. Can't find my
    exact type RAM in local stores:
    Speed 133Mhz
    Data Width 64bit
    Memory Type SDRAM
    Form Factor DIMM

    Even with minimal RAM, something that's allowed me to work with intensive
    programz/large files is eBoostr. eBoostr utilizes an external flash memory
    (stick) to expand on-board memory. It's like an assist (Win 7 ReadyBoost)
    that helps open programz a little faster - I don't know about that. But
    without it, I can't work with large images in Photoshop; so I know it does
    something tangible.
    http://www.eboostr.com/

    Question?... someone put this in my head - it's best to use the same size
    memory card for all slots or else the combined total (383 MB in my case) is
    not actually available.



    -----------------------
    "" <> wrote:

    No, as I recall I only had two slots, 256M and 128MB.

    Daniel
     
    Kele, Jan 3, 2011
    #9
  10. Re: RAM

    "Kele" <> wrote in message
    news:4d224a6d$0$1070$4all.se...
    > That's what I have on XP machine, two slots with 256 & 128. Can't find my
    > exact type RAM in local stores:
    > Speed 133Mhz
    > Data Width 64bit
    > Memory Type SDRAM
    > Form Factor DIMM
    >
    > Even with minimal RAM, something that's allowed me to work with intensive
    > programz/large files is eBoostr. eBoostr utilizes an external flash
    > memory
    > (stick) to expand on-board memory. It's like an assist (Win 7 ReadyBoost)
    > that helps open programz a little faster - I don't know about that. But
    > without it, I can't work with large images in Photoshop; so I know it does
    > something tangible.
    > http://www.eboostr.com/
    >
    > Question?... someone put this in my head - it's best to use the same size
    > memory card for all slots or else the combined total (383 MB in my case)
    > is
    > not actually available.
    >



    You have PC133 DDR2 (I think). Well, I'm pretty sure of the PC133 part, the
    DDR2 is where I'm a bit fuzzy. I was able to find 2ea 2Gb sticks of the RAM
    you need for my machine to give me 4Gb of RAM. I paid something like 50
    bucks, and got a $25 mail-in rebate.

    Check Frys.com. You might be able to get considerably more speed from your
    machine for a remarkably low price.
     
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 4, 2011
    #10
  11. Kele

    Baron Guest

    Re: RAM

    Kele Inscribed thus:
    >
    > Question?... someone put this in my head - it's best to use the same
    > size memory card for all slots or else the combined total (383 MB in
    > my case) is not actually available.
    >
    > Daniel


    1Mb is reserved by the system.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, Jan 4, 2011
    #11
  12. Kele

    Paul Guest

    Re: RAM

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > news:4d224a6d$0$1070$4all.se...
    >> That's what I have on XP machine, two slots with 256 & 128. Can't find my
    >> exact type RAM in local stores:
    >> Speed 133Mhz
    >> Data Width 64bit
    >> Memory Type SDRAM
    >> Form Factor DIMM
    >>
    >> Even with minimal RAM, something that's allowed me to work with intensive
    >> programz/large files is eBoostr. eBoostr utilizes an external flash
    >> memory
    >> (stick) to expand on-board memory. It's like an assist (Win 7 ReadyBoost)
    >> that helps open programz a little faster - I don't know about that. But
    >> without it, I can't work with large images in Photoshop; so I know it does
    >> something tangible.
    >> http://www.eboostr.com/
    >>
    >> Question?... someone put this in my head - it's best to use the same size
    >> memory card for all slots or else the combined total (383 MB in my case)
    >> is
    >> not actually available.
    >>

    >
    >
    > You have PC133 DDR2 (I think). Well, I'm pretty sure of the PC133 part, the
    > DDR2 is where I'm a bit fuzzy. I was able to find 2ea 2Gb sticks of the RAM
    > you need for my machine to give me 4Gb of RAM. I paid something like 50
    > bucks, and got a $25 mail-in rebate.
    >
    > Check Frys.com. You might be able to get considerably more speed from your
    > machine for a remarkably low price.
    >


    It's best to start with Crucial.com, and enter the computer details
    there, to see what RAM options are available.

    PC133 is not "DDR2". It's not even DDR. It is a single data rate
    RAM type, with one piece of data being transferred per clock cycle.
    That makes it SDRAM, as a type.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146005

    My P4B with Intel 845 chipset, will take up to 1GB per slot.
    But what I got when that motherboard was new, was 512MB sticks
    (three of them).

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P4B

    Older motherboards, like my P2B-S, only take up to 256MB PC133
    and even then, it has to be the low density kind. Crucial is one
    of the few places that will supply low density memory. Many others
    will sell you an 8 chip 256MB stick instead, which will only be
    half-detected. That would be an "Ebay beware" purchase. If
    buying for a 440BX based motherboard, be careful to get
    16 chip modules.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P2B-S

    *******

    At the 1GB size, you can find "non-registered" PC133 (would work
    in my P4B):

    http://www.memoryx.net/afmgsa.html

    But a lot of other 1GB or 2GB modules would be "Registered" or
    "Registered ECC" memory (the sites aren't very careful to
    describe it correctly). In this picture, you can see three
    chips, below the memory chips, and those are the components
    used on a "Registered" server module. I'm sure someone on Ebay
    would sell you these for your desktop, without warning you
    they aren't compatible. None of my motherboards could use these.

    http://www.pcprogress.com/img/productpics/MDS133-16X72R.jpg

    *******

    I'd start with the Crucial search engine, to get some hints
    as to what is safe to buy.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Jan 4, 2011
    #12
  13. Kele

    Baron Guest

    Re: RAM

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    >
    > "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > news:4d224a6d$0$1070$4all.se...
    >> That's what I have on XP machine, two slots with 256 & 128. Can't
    >> find my exact type RAM in local stores:
    >> Speed 133Mhz
    >> Data Width 64bit
    >> Memory Type SDRAM
    >> Form Factor DIMM
    >>
    >> Even with minimal RAM, something that's allowed me to work with
    >> intensive
    >> programz/large files is eBoostr. eBoostr utilizes an external flash
    >> memory
    >> (stick) to expand on-board memory. It's like an assist (Win 7
    >> ReadyBoost)
    >> that helps open programz a little faster - I don't know about that.
    >> But without it, I can't work with large images in Photoshop; so I
    >> know it does something tangible.
    >> http://www.eboostr.com/
    >>
    >> Question?... someone put this in my head - it's best to use the same
    >> size memory card for all slots or else the combined total (383 MB in
    >> my case) is
    >> not actually available.
    >>

    >
    >
    > You have PC133 DDR2 (I think). Well, I'm pretty sure of the PC133
    > part, the DDR2 is where I'm a bit fuzzy. I was able to find 2ea 2Gb
    > sticks of the RAM you need for my machine to give me 4Gb of RAM. I
    > paid something like 50 bucks, and got a $25 mail-in rebate.
    >
    > Check Frys.com. You might be able to get considerably more speed from
    > your machine for a remarkably low price.


    PC133 is single data rate. I belive that DDR came later.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, Jan 4, 2011
    #13
  14. Re: RAM

    "Baron" <> wrote in message
    news:ifvuid$2m8$-september.org...
    > Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
    >
    >>
    >> "Kele" <> wrote in message
    >> news:4d224a6d$0$1070$4all.se...
    >>> That's what I have on XP machine, two slots with 256 & 128. Can't
    >>> find my exact type RAM in local stores:
    >>> Speed 133Mhz
    >>> Data Width 64bit
    >>> Memory Type SDRAM
    >>> Form Factor DIMM
    >>>
    >>> Even with minimal RAM, something that's allowed me to work with
    >>> intensive
    >>> programz/large files is eBoostr. eBoostr utilizes an external flash
    >>> memory
    >>> (stick) to expand on-board memory. It's like an assist (Win 7
    >>> ReadyBoost)
    >>> that helps open programz a little faster - I don't know about that.
    >>> But without it, I can't work with large images in Photoshop; so I
    >>> know it does something tangible.
    >>> http://www.eboostr.com/
    >>>
    >>> Question?... someone put this in my head - it's best to use the same
    >>> size memory card for all slots or else the combined total (383 MB in
    >>> my case) is
    >>> not actually available.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> You have PC133 DDR2 (I think). Well, I'm pretty sure of the PC133
    >> part, the DDR2 is where I'm a bit fuzzy. I was able to find 2ea 2Gb
    >> sticks of the RAM you need for my machine to give me 4Gb of RAM. I
    >> paid something like 50 bucks, and got a $25 mail-in rebate.
    >>
    >> Check Frys.com. You might be able to get considerably more speed from
    >> your machine for a remarkably low price.

    >
    > PC133 is single data rate. I belive that DDR came later.
    >


    Sorry, I think I misspoke. I got 4G of RAM for my machine for 25 bucks after
    the rebate. I was thinking it was PC133, but now that you guys have spanked
    me so badly, it was DDR2,
     
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 5, 2011
    #14
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John Bailo

    Jeff Relf, Technical Writer, Spreads Misery

    John Bailo, Feb 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    504
    John Bailo
    Feb 3, 2004
  2. John Bailo

    A New E-Shop For Jeff Relf

    John Bailo, Feb 4, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    6,541
    David A. Seiver
    Feb 5, 2004
  3. hugh pearce

    XP/W98 How do I access safe mode in w98

    hugh pearce, Sep 1, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,068
    Dean C
    Sep 2, 2004
  4. Ron Williams

    HEY HEY HEY hold up......

    Ron Williams, Aug 11, 2003, in forum: MCSA
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    599
    Ron Williams
    Aug 11, 2003
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Re: Printer drivers - HEY JEFF - ABOUT W98 software

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 31, 2010, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    516
    Jeff Strickland
    Jan 1, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page