Re: Printer DPI ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lisa Duskis, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Lisa Duskis

    Lisa Duskis Guest

    try again..

    A friend of mine has the epson 2200 and the 1270 (now superceeded by the
    1280).

    When I was deciding between the 2200 and the 1280, I asked for her opinion.

    According to her, she can get about 30 full color 8x10 pages at 1440dpi with
    the color cartridge, and the black lasts about twice as long.

    So basing on, say, $25ea for the color cartridge and say, $22 for the black
    one.... on 60 pages, or to be really conservative, say, 50 pages or even 40
    pages... I'll say 50 pages

    $50 (2 color carts) / 50 = $1 per page (ink alone)
    22 / 50 = $0.44 per page.

    Total : $1.44 ($1.50 for rounding say)

    Paper : depending on the type... could cost anything.

    I'm sure that there are other ways of calculating.

    But my main thing was pigment or dye. My friend told me the only real time
    she uses her 2200 is for black and white prints as the quality of color
    prints is much better on her 1270. And I gotta admit, when she sent me
    samples on different paper stock, it was really good quality...

    Of course, the fact that the 1280 was about $200 cheaper also played a part
    in me getting it (and the $100 rebate also :)

    I was reading somewhere that when you get above 720dpi, quality doesn't
    improve that dramatically. And seeing a sample between 720, 1440 and 2880, i
    can see no significant difference.

    Hope that helps (somewhat)

    -- Lisa

    Lisa Duskis, Aug 6, 2003