Re: Printed Photos have blue cast

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil Stripling, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Ralph O'Rourke <> writes:

    > But when printed out, they take on a slight bluish hue, and the greens
    > aren't as rich as they should be.

    The first thing I'd check is the reservoir on my magenta cartridge. I don't
    use your printer, but on mine, the driver allows you both to check the
    amount of ink left and to print a test image to see if any of the jets are
    clogged. I was getting prints that were too rosy, and no amount of
    adjusting would correct it. Changed ink carts, no change in printout. I
    printed the test for color, and the heads were clogged -- no blue was being
    printed. Running the clean routine a half-dozen times fixed it.

    > Is there a setting somewhere on the printer which can correct this?

    If the issue is just that the image is being printed incorrectly (not
    clogged heads or no ink), generally, you correct the color in your graphics
    program.

    Phil Stripling, Sep 12, 2003

  2. >>> > But when printed out, they take on a slight bluish hue, and the greens
    >>> The first thing I'd check is the reservoir on my magenta cartridge. I don't
    >>> use your printer, but on mine, the driver allows you both to check the
    >>> amount of ink left and to print a test image to see if any of the jets are
    >>> clogged. I was getting prints that were too rosy, and no amount of
    >>> adjusting would correct it. Changed ink carts, no change in printout. I
    >>> printed the test for color, and the heads were clogged -- no blue was being
    >>> printed. Running the clean routine a half-dozen times fixed it.

    Did all that--head alignment and nozzle cleaning. I went one step
    further and removed the printhead and soaked it in a safe solvent. No
    change in results.

    >>> If the issue is just that the image is being printed incorrectly (not
    >>> clogged heads or no ink), generally, you correct the color in your graphics
    >>> program.

    Hence the problem. I evidently have a problem coordinating the color
    of the photo on the monitor and the color on the printout.

    I use Elements 2 to get the photo looking PERFECT as it appears on the
    screen. But when it prints, it looks bluish. I didn't know whether it
    would be best to open the printer setup, manual color, and reduce the
    amount of cyan slightly. The trouble with doing that is that it tends
    to screw up other colors. :-(

    What I had *hoped* to find was someone else who had had this problem
    and could tell me 1-2-3 how to correct it.
    Oh well, never hurts to wish.

    RR
    Ralph O'Rourke, Sep 13, 2003

  3. "Ralph O'Rourke" <> wrote in message

    greens

    don't

    are

    being

    > Did all that--head alignment and nozzle cleaning. I went one step
    > further and removed the printhead and soaked it in a safe solvent. No
    > change in results.

    graphics

    > Hence the problem. I evidently have a problem coordinating the color
    > of the photo on the monitor and the color on the printout.
    >
    > I use Elements 2 to get the photo looking PERFECT as it appears on the
    > screen. But when it prints, it looks bluish. I didn't know whether it
    > would be best to open the printer setup, manual color, and reduce the
    > amount of cyan slightly. The trouble with doing that is that it tends
    > to screw up other colors. :-(
    >
    > What I had *hoped* to find was someone else who had had this problem
    > and could tell me 1-2-3 how to correct it.
    > Oh well, never hurts to wish.

    I've been working my way through a similar problem with prints from an Epson
    C82. A sepia-toned print looked perfect on my monitor, using Photoshop 7.0,
    exactly matched the LCD image on my Canon G5 ( I shot the image in sepia,
    in-camera, instead of changing it in the software), but I could not get it
    to print the same. The prints were all too *reddish*, and appeared very
    *flat* in tonality. I was also concurrently having a problem with some *fog*
    shots coming out with a reddish tone in the areas of thickest fog.

    I finally went into the color adjustment section of the printer software and
    experimented with a numer of prints as I backed off on the magenta. I found
    that knocking the magenta down by a
    minus 10 to minus 15 points(?), while changing the gamma from the default
    1.8, to 1.5 for certain prints, moved me into the area where the prints were
    looking very much like the screen, and quite similar to what I had *seen*
    when I shot the image.

    BTW, the C82 is known to have a magenta *issue* with sudden, and
    irreversible, failure to print from the magenta cartridge, requiring a
    warranty replacement of the printer. I also suspect there may be a *magenta
    issue* with the amount of magenta applied.

    A suggestion: if you are going to start playing with the color settings,
    keep notes of what you change, amount of change, and the results. Then, in
    each type of *problem print* situation, you have a chance of getting close
    early on.

    Hope this helps, because I have now exhausted the entirety of my knowledge
    about this kind of problem. That is until I have more problems, and get to
    play with the buttons again.

    TAP

    Accidental Photographer, Sep 13, 2003