Re:Printable DVD- Image quality poor!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    First, thanks for the replies.
    To the person who asked if I tried other CD-R's, no, this is why I posted this in the first place; to see if
    anyone else had/has the same problem and had a solution. Although it is a route I will likely
    have to go, having to buy three or four brands of 'brand-name' DVDs to findone that works
    with a fairly good printer (Canon) seems ridiculous. If the printer was not compatible with
    common blanks, I would assume it was a piece of crap and would not sell. Sort of like
    buying a mid-class car and having to try different brands of gas before it runs!

    Having said all that, I will try other printable media, to rule this out.

    The printable Memorex DVDs I did print were dry to the touch within minutes. The surface is slightly
    rough.

    So, to reiterate, has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you rectify it ? Did changing
    brands of blanks make that much of a difference ?
    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

    Having just purchased a Canon IP4300 for the purpose of printing DVD labels, I expected decent results.
    Instead, after tweaking everything (cd-print software settings, printer settings, image size and res), I am very
    disappointed. The colour on all my DVDs to date is poor, washed out, pastel-like. Little to no difference between
    shades...looks like it was printed in draft mode on regular paper.

    Specs:
    - Memorex printables (let's not start a flame war over which brand is best, ok ?)
    - printer is set at highest print quality
    - images are at 300dpi, 5x5 inches or larger
    - tried the boxed software, cd-labelprint, as well as a few others...no difference
    - printer is less than two weeks old
    - prints great on paper, regular and high gloss

    I have contacted Canon, they are treating me like an idiot so far. FWIW, I program for a living, so Im
    not exaactly a newb.

    Anyone with similar problems, or better yet, a solution ?

    Thanks guys.
    The first thing I would try would be a different brand of printables (no
    flame war intended). I use cheapo Ritek printables with a Epson R200 and I
    get great results.

    After you have printed them is it touch dry pretty soon?

    Karl

    <Grateful> wrote in message news:...
    > Having just purchased a Canon IP4300 for the purpose of printing DVD

    labels, I expected decent results.
    > Instead, after tweaking everything (cd-print software settings, printer

    settings, image size and res), I am very
    > disappointed. The colour on all my DVDs to date is poor, washed out,

    pastel-like. Little to no difference between
    > shades...looks like it was printed in draft mode on regular paper.

    > Specs:
    > - Memorex printables (let's not start a flame war over which brand is

    best, ok ?)
    > - printer is set at highest print quality
    > - images are at 300dpi, 5x5 inches or larger
    > - tried the boxed software, cd-labelprint, as well as a few others...no

    difference
    > - printer is less than two weeks old
    > - prints great on paper, regular and high gloss

    > I have contacted Canon, they are treating me like an idiot so far. FWIW, I

    program for a living, so Im

    > Anyone with similar problems, or better yet, a solution ?

    > Thanks guys.

    In article <>,
    says...
    > The first thing I would try would be a different brand of printables (no
    > flame war intended). I use cheapo Ritek printables with a Epson R200 and I
    > get great results.

    > After you have printed them is it touch dry pretty soon?

    > Karl

    As Karl stated they should dry fairly quickly. Less than a minute.
    Also how does the surface feel to the touch? It should feel rough and
    have a matt sheen for inkjets. Note there are laser printable discs
    which are absolute rubbish if you stick 'em in an inkjet.

    --
    Pete Ives
    Guest, Mar 3, 2007

  2. Guest

    Mutley Guest

    <Grateful> wrote:

    >First, thanks for the replies.
    >To the person who asked if I tried other CD-R's, no, this is why I posted this in the first place; to see if
    >anyone else had/has the same problem and had a solution. Although it is a route I will likely
    >have to go, having to buy three or four brands of 'brand-name' DVDs to findone that works
    >with a fairly good printer (Canon) seems ridiculous. If the printer was not compatible with
    >common blanks, I would assume it was a piece of crap and would not sell. Sort of like
    >buying a mid-class car and having to try different brands of gas before it runs!
    >
    >Having said all that, I will try other printable media, to rule this out.
    >

    >The printable Memorex DVDs I did print were dry to the touch within minutes. The surface is slightly
    >rough.
    >
    >So, to reiterate, has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you rectify it ? Did changing
    >brands of blanks make that much of a difference ?
    >Thanks very much for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

    I have a new canon Mp530 which I think has the same print engine as
    your and have printed on Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim white printable
    with excellent results..
    Mutley, Mar 4, 2007