Re: Primes 'v' 2.8 Zoom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BlackShadow, Aug 30, 2008.

  1. BlackShadow

    BlackShadow Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > I am looking to change to a full frame body. I have waited for long
    > enough for the 5D replacement, so am considering going for a D700
    > because in all honesty, spec wise the D700 has everything I want out of
    > a body anyway.
    >
    > At the moment, below 70mm, I use a 24 f/1.4 prime and a 50 f/1.2 prime
    > on a 1.6X cropped body, which I love. But, of course there are times
    > when a zoom would be more convenient. So, I am torn between 85mm and
    > 35mm primes, or the 24-70 f/2.8.
    >
    > I am happy with the DOF on my primes and most of the time use around
    > f/1.8 for people shots if I want separation from the background. Given
    > that I will be moving from a cropped body to a full frame,
    > mathematically the DOF @ 2.8 will be about the same as my primes @ f/1.8.
    >
    > I have been looking on the net at photos taken with 24-70 2.8 lenses on
    > full frame bodies, but what I find strange is that the DOF @ f/2.8
    > doesn't look the same as it does on my primes @ f/1.8. Am I missing
    > something?
    >
    > Anyone have a logical reason why for example the DOF on a similar photo
    > taken @ 38mm f/2.8 full frame would be different to 24mm f/1.8 on a 1.6X
    > cropped body? The only thing I can think of is that the photos have
    > been cropped in post production, whereas mine haven't (so they were in
    > fact further away from the subject). Or maybe the bokeh is just nicer
    > on my primes, which makes it look different?

    It really is a case of "Suck it and see..." here. There are very few camera
    retail stores that will not let you try a new lens on your body, or your
    lens on a new body - using your own storage medium, and take the resulting
    images home to play with. My camera store will let me take new equipment
    out of the store to play with as long as I leave a credit card for them to
    play with if I don't bring it back.

    Cheers

    BlackShadow

    BlackShadow, Aug 30, 2008

  2. BlackShadow

    No Spam Guest

    "BlackShadow" <> wrote in message
    > Jake wrote:
    >> I am looking to change to a full frame body. I have waited for long
    >> enough for the 5D replacement, so am considering going for a D700 because
    >> in all honesty, spec wise the D700 has everything I want out of a body
    >> anyway.
    >>
    >> At the moment, below 70mm, I use a 24 f/1.4 prime and a 50 f/1.2 prime on
    >> a 1.6X cropped body, which I love. But, of course there are times when a
    >> zoom would be more convenient. So, I am torn between 85mm and 35mm
    >> primes, or the 24-70 f/2.8.
    >>
    >> I am happy with the DOF on my primes and most of the time use around
    >> f/1.8 for people shots if I want separation from the background. Given
    >> that I will be moving from a cropped body to a full frame, mathematically
    >> the DOF @ 2.8 will be about the same as my primes @ f/1.8.
    >>
    >> I have been looking on the net at photos taken with 24-70 2.8 lenses on
    >> full frame bodies, but what I find strange is that the DOF @ f/2.8
    >> doesn't look the same as it does on my primes @ f/1.8. Am I missing
    >> something?
    >>
    >> Anyone have a logical reason why for example the DOF on a similar photo
    >> taken @ 38mm f/2.8 full frame would be different to 24mm f/1.8 on a 1.6X
    >> cropped body? The only thing I can think of is that the photos have been
    >> cropped in post production, whereas mine haven't (so they were in fact
    >> further away from the subject). Or maybe the bokeh is just nicer on my
    >> primes, which makes it look different?
    >>

    > It really is a case of "Suck it and see..." here. There are very few
    > camera retail stores that will not let you try a new lens on your body, or
    > your lens on a new body - using your own storage medium, and take the
    > resulting images home to play with. My camera store will let me take new
    > equipment out of the store to play with as long as I leave a credit card
    > for them to play with if I don't bring it back.

    So if I buy the lens after you played with it, I am effectively buying an
    used lens! It should be sold as a demo in that case, new means new!

    No Spam, Aug 30, 2008

  3. BlackShadow

    BlackShadow Guest

    No Spam wrote:
    > "BlackShadow" <> wrote in message
    >> Jake wrote:
    >>> I am looking to change to a full frame body. I have waited for long
    >>> enough for the 5D replacement, so am considering going for a D700 because
    >>> in all honesty, spec wise the D700 has everything I want out of a body
    >>> anyway.
    >>>
    >>> At the moment, below 70mm, I use a 24 f/1.4 prime and a 50 f/1.2 prime on
    >>> a 1.6X cropped body, which I love. But, of course there are times when a
    >>> zoom would be more convenient. So, I am torn between 85mm and 35mm
    >>> primes, or the 24-70 f/2.8.
    >>>
    >>> I am happy with the DOF on my primes and most of the time use around
    >>> f/1.8 for people shots if I want separation from the background. Given
    >>> that I will be moving from a cropped body to a full frame, mathematically
    >>> the DOF @ 2.8 will be about the same as my primes @ f/1.8.
    >>>
    >>> I have been looking on the net at photos taken with 24-70 2.8 lenses on
    >>> full frame bodies, but what I find strange is that the DOF @ f/2.8
    >>> doesn't look the same as it does on my primes @ f/1.8. Am I missing
    >>> something?
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a logical reason why for example the DOF on a similar photo
    >>> taken @ 38mm f/2.8 full frame would be different to 24mm f/1.8 on a 1.6X
    >>> cropped body? The only thing I can think of is that the photos have been
    >>> cropped in post production, whereas mine haven't (so they were in fact
    >>> further away from the subject). Or maybe the bokeh is just nicer on my
    >>> primes, which makes it look different?
    >>>

    >> It really is a case of "Suck it and see..." here. There are very few
    >> camera retail stores that will not let you try a new lens on your body, or
    >> your lens on a new body - using your own storage medium, and take the
    >> resulting images home to play with. My camera store will let me take new
    >> equipment out of the store to play with as long as I leave a credit card
    >> for them to play with if I don't bring it back.
    >>

    > So if I buy the lens after you played with it, I am effectively buying an
    > used lens! It should be sold as a demo in that case, new means new!

    They are sold as "shop" lenses for that very reason. It is often a way to
    get a good deal, as they still have full warranty etc.

    BlackShadow

    BlackShadow, Aug 30, 2008