Re: Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Old Sourdough, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:16:35 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Danny in message

    > I just bought a new MSI mobo w/ an Athlon XP 2000+, and am getting the
    > following message:
    >
    > Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed
    >
    > What does this mean and how can I fix it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As Unk says, you need to install an 80 conductor IDE cable to take
    advantage of ATA-66 and up. You should have received one with your MB. If
    not, you can get one at just about any computer store, even Radio Shack.
    You can identify one at a glance, because it will still have a 40 pin
    connector, but it will have double the number of conductors. The
    individual conductors will be thinner.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 1833

    The Old Sourdough, Jul 10, 2003

  2. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:38:49 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Me2U in message

    > In addition, make sure you put the correct connectors on the 80 wire
    > cable in the correct spots. Blue plug to mobo, black to primary,
    > grey to slave drive. If your mobo supports cable select then you
    > can set any drives on that IDE cable to CS instead which allows you
    > to switch between them in BIOS as boot drive.

    snip

    Why are you telling me this. Please learn to reply properly in a thread.

    The Old Sourdough, Jul 11, 2003

  3. The Old Sourdough

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:44:05 -0700, "gangle" <> wrote:

    >"The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:38:49 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    >> boggled at the following statement by Me2U in message
    >>
    >> > In addition, make sure you put the correct connectors on the 80 wire
    >> > cable in the correct spots. Blue plug to mobo, black to primary,
    >> > grey to slave drive. If your mobo supports cable select then you
    >> > can set any drives on that IDE cable to CS instead which allows you
    >> > to switch between them in BIOS as boot drive.
    >> >

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Why are you telling me this. Please learn to reply properly in a thread.

    >He also needs to change his news client to ascii charset
    >so that people aren't forced to look at his hideous fonts.

    You set the font at your end.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Barry OGrady <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:44:05 -0700, "gangle" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:38:49 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    >>> boggled at the following statement by Me2U in message

    >>> snip
    >>>
    >>> Why are you telling me this. Please learn to reply properly in a thread.

    >>He also needs to change his news client to ascii charset
    >>so that people aren't forced to look at his hideous fonts.

    >You set the font at your end.

    One does if one utilises a 'real' newsreader - such as the one you're
    using.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...