Re: Prices for Repairs

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Gaz, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Gaz

    Gaz Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Basically, you should charge for your time. The range is about $35 to
    > $60 per hour. You can quote a fixed fee for a job, based on you
    > knowledge of about how long it should take. You should charge for a
    > service call if you are doing on-site work, but it may take the form
    > of "$40 for the 1st 30 minutes OR PORTION THEREOF, then $45 per hour
    > thereafter". The higher charge for the 1st 30 minutes (or less)
    > covers the service call. Obviously, at some level, distance is a
    > consideration here also.

    Make sure you ahve plenty of upgrade goodies, like memory, cd writers, dvd
    writers , blank cds etc, customers love these, and they can add quite a bit
    to your total profit to customer ratio. Once you are in someones house, and
    you ahve shown competence, it is very easy to sell them things.

    Gaz

    Gaz, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Sometimes I really wonder where/how/why people in this group "do" the PC
    service business. I mean the biggest undercutter in my area charges 75 for
    the first hour 30 for each 30 mins after. Again, this is the #1 undercutter
    who doesn't actually do service calls himself anymore but rather sends out
    underskilled underexperienced uneducated types making $10/hour (so he can
    make it on sheer call volume)! 35 an hour?! Yeah maybe if you don't know
    what the hell you are doing. If you know and have the experience you can
    (and most will) charge more. Now, if you plan to hire morons to do your work
    on the cheap ... then you'll probably have to charge 35 an hour or much
    less. Personally, I think someone who can't do the job isn't worth even 10
    bucks an hour ... but that's just my two cents from a small business
    standpoint. CompUSA proves me wrong everyday ;)

    RealityTVSucks, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Gaz

    chris Guest

    Hi

    Here are some rates from a large discount retailer in Calgary Alberta for
    service

    Rates:
    The standard shop rate is $45/hour. Service works on a first come, first
    served basis. Turnaround time is typically between two to three days.

    Priority Service:
    Priority Service is available at the rate of $75/hour. Priority Service
    systems are placed at the beginning of the service queue and given the
    highest priority.

    On-site Service:
    On-site Service is available by appointment within the Calgary area at the
    rate of $90/hour. Please give 48 hours advance notice for all appointments.
    Service contracts are also available upon request.

    Chris

    chris, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Gaz

    AG Guest

    > Sometimes I really wonder where/how/why people in this group "do" the PC
    > service business. I mean the biggest undercutter in my area charges 75 for
    > the first hour 30 for each 30 mins after. Again, this is the #1

    undercutter
    > who doesn't actually do service calls himself anymore but rather sends out
    > underskilled underexperienced uneducated types making $10/hour (so he can
    > make it on sheer call volume)! 35 an hour?! Yeah maybe if you don't know
    > what the hell you are doing. If you know and have the experience you can
    > (and most will) charge more. Now, if you plan to hire morons to do your

    work
    > on the cheap ... then you'll probably have to charge 35 an hour or much
    > less. Personally, I think someone who can't do the job isn't worth even 10
    > bucks an hour ... but that's just my two cents from a small business
    > standpoint. CompUSA proves me wrong everyday ;)

    The most experienced PC tech in town here was charging $60.00 an hour 7
    years ago when I first went to work with him as a salesman. This is a small
    town of about 22,000 people and I'd say about half of the households have at
    least one PC but I'm guessing.
    He went bankrupt about three years ago when PC prices started going so low
    from the major manufacturers that he couldn't sell any new systems, which
    was the most profitable part of his business.
    The only person that I know here in town that is actually making a living
    fixing PCs that I know of charges $35 for the first hour and closed her
    store because the overhead was killing her profits. There are two other
    places that sell and service computers but they both have school or industry
    contracts that actually pay the bills and the PC service that they do is
    just gravy that their techs do when they are not busy with their main
    customers.
    I gave up on PC service a couple of years ago and work for the local ISP.
    The money isn't great but I can drive from home to work in 7 minutes even if
    I do get caught by a light.

    I'm sure that you know the market where you are but it's different in other
    places. You can't judge a persons knowledge, experience and work by what
    they charge for their time. It really depends on what the local market will
    accept. Around here I've seen several stores go under trying to charge too
    much for their services. People just won't pay it. Why should a person pay
    $200 for repair of a PC that they can buy for $300? I know I wouldn't.
    AG
    AG, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Did you ever stop and think that the ECONOMY in your "area" (where is it
    anyway?!) may be DEPRESSED?! In other words, MOST businesses in your neck of
    the woods have a hard time for whatever reason(s). What does the PC service
    business have to do with the economy in your area? Nothing.

    At any rate ... I find it amusing to the point of absurdity that you work
    for an ISP to make a living. Now, that is a business that has surely become
    less profitable across the board. Furthermore, it doesn't appear to matter
    what city or state you are in ... an ISP is a relatively expensive business
    to run and faces major competition. It's virtually a commodity and not
    really based in personalized service anymore.

    Regarding PC service ... the bottom line is that most end users do not or
    can not support the software and to a lesser extent hardware that is present
    on their home and small business machines. So, they'll have to pay someone
    else to provide these services ... or go without them. Buying a new machine
    every time you run into a software problem or a virus is not cost effective.

    What does the average PC user get in support from their OEM even in the
    first year of owning the system? Nothing. They are willing to give you their
    money in exchange for good service. Are you going to take it? Are you man
    enough to take it?! 35 bucks?! Suck my !@#@$. People pay that for a car wash
    and wax .

    RealityTVSucks, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Gaz

    the yeti Guest

    I got hired into a very "High-end" support company. We do on-site
    service for many laywers, doctors, and really cream of the crop
    buisnesses. We charge $85 an hour (I make $11). They pay for our
    time to drive to and from the location. If There are 2 techs working
    on one job, they get billed $170 an hour. (Thats usually for network
    instalss/upgrades)

    But its cool, because we are level 2 support for other companies too.
    If their IT department cant fix it, they call us.

    As for myself, When I worked on my own, and was fixing anyone elses
    computer I charged about 30 bucks and hour. 1/2 the price of Best Buy
    and more money than I have ever made (per hour - tax free). I counted
    on 2 hours for an OS reinstall and thats what I quoted people. Made a
    lot of money selling RAM upgrades too.
    the yeti, Aug 16, 2004
  7. State your experience and credentials. If you look at what your company is
    charging for "high-end" support ... that tells you something about the
    supply/demand for PC service. What you make working for someone else doesn't
    determine the state of the PC service business (like many in this group
    claim). That's my point.

    PS. If you are well experienced and educated ... why are you spinning your
    wheels with a company taking nearly 90% of the bill rate?! Take it on your
    own. Hint: You won't be able to do much on your own charging less than
    $60/hour ... especially for on-site work.

    RealityTVSucks, Aug 16, 2004
  8. I disagree partially. Charging per a certain unit of time is done because
    it is easy to calculate, but when you set your prices, remember that you are
    not really charging for the amount of time that it takes, you are charging
    for your experience, and your knowledge. It could take you 20 minutes to set
    up a home network and get all the computers talking to each other, whereas
    another guy would take 3 hours. In all fairness, you deserve more money
    than he does for the same job.

    Jason Wheeler, Aug 21, 2004