Re: Prevent websites from reading my e-mail adress (automatically filled in)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unk, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:04:50 +0200, se wrote:
    >When surfing I sometimes come across webpages and I see my e-mailaddress
    >already filled in.
    >- where does it read it from?
    >- how do I disable this?
    >
    >Thanks in advance !

    From Internet Explorer click "Tools", "Internet Options" or
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Internet Options"

    Click the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to "Browsing",
    uncheck "Use Inline Autocomplete for Web Addresses" and
    uncheck "Use Inline Autocomplete for Windows Explorer"

    Click "Content" tab, under the "Personal Information" section,
    click the "AutoComplete" button, uncheck what you don't want.
    To clear the "Auto Complete History", click the "Clear Forms" button.

    How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q217148

    Take Control of Microsoft Internet Explorer's AutoComplete Data.
    AutoWhat?2 - Edit the AutoComplete entries for Web-based forms.
    Free download after registering with PC Magazine.

    Unk
    Unk, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Unk

    Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:55:06 GMT, Unk <> wrote:

    >From Internet Explorer click "Tools", "Internet Options" or
    >Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Internet Options"

    Thanks !
    , Jul 24, 2003

  3. Unk

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Unk

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:08:38 +0200, in
    <>
    se scrawled:

    >On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:50:25 +0100,
    > °Mike° <> wrote:
    >
    >>Windows Explorer are *very* tightly
    >>integrated. What one does, so can the other.

    >Just out of curiosity: when will a filemanger need a mail-address.
    >Besides the question: how will it be able to use that? There's no
    >mail-function in it.
    >
    >Though I would not be surprised Bill Gates having this programmed
    >in it ;-)

    Please be careful with your post editing. I said: "Internet
    Explorer and Windows Explorer are *very* tightly integrated."

    Windows Explorer is not just a 'filemanager' (sic), it is the
    GUI shell of Windows. Your question about mail-addresses
    has no meaning in the case of IE/WE. But you can browse the
    web with Windows Explorer, and you can browse your hard drive
    with Internet Explorer.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Unk

    Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:52:51 GMT, Unk <> wrote:

    >You're welcome.

    Strange, but it's 'back'.

    I come across a complete new website where I see a "join the mailing list" and
    ..... yes, there's my mail-adress again !

    " is now subscribed to the updates list "

    Automatically !!!

    I checked in Internet Options and the options are not "Use Inline Autocomplete
    for Web Addresses" and "Use Inline Autocomplete for Windows Explorer" are still
    unchecked.

    Test for yourself on
    http://www.drownedinsound.com/mailinglist.php?action=Subscribe&email=

    Any further suggestions for this behaviour ? Thanks.
    , Aug 1, 2003