Re: Powerline networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pavel A., Oct 18, 2009.

  1. Pavel A.

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Jef Roe" <> wrote in message
    > Am I missing something on this networking principle...
    >
    > Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
    > implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.

    No, why? A kit contains *both* devices either 14 or 85 Mbps.
    Newer powerline devices on sale now are 200 Mbps.
    14 Mbps are very old and should sell dirt cheap.

    > Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

    Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
    It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
    No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
    no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
    Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
    You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
    And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.

    Regards,
    --pa
    Pavel A., Oct 18, 2009

  2. Pavel A.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    there are some caveats. for instance, in an MDU environment, if you
    do NOT enable security on the PL devices, depending on how the
    building is wired, your neighbor can see and join your network
    simply by purchasing a PL adapter.

    as was said earlier, there are RFI issues. the presence on say, a
    uninterruptible power supply or filtration device on the same
    circuit (does not have to be on the same outlet) can stop the
    transmission or greatly reduce the speed.

    the future will bring something called WiFi Direct - devices that
    can auto negotiate a secure wifi connection with a special
    handshake.

    On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:49:09 +0200, "Pavel A."
    <> wrote:

    >Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
    >It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
    >No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
    >no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
    >Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
    >You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
    >And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    Barb Bowman, Oct 18, 2009

  3. Pavel A.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    bluetooth can do this today.
    the WiFi Alliance folks will certify this new technology. If it
    means a very secure connection, I would like it.

    Barb Bowman, Oct 21, 2009
  4. Pavel A.

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Jef Roe" <> wrote in message
    > anything or anyone using those special handshakes should be steered clear
    > of...IMHO.

    this means an excellent security :)

    -pa
    Pavel A., Oct 29, 2009