Re: Powerline networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 18, 2009.

  1. Hi
    One of the problems with info concerning Entry Level Network hardware is
    that their is No adequate disclose about what the quoted "Speed" numbers
    actually mean.
    The numbers usually represent the Speed of the core chipset of the Network
    device, it does not represent the real world performance that as it is
    affected by the rest of the hardware, the OS, the software, and in cases of
    Wireless and Power Line, the environmental effects of the medium (I.e signal
    in the air, and the Power Lines per-se).
    The actual PowerLine Network Speed is greatly reduced by the need for signal
    compression, security, and by the compensation for spikes and instabilities
    in the specific power line system thta the adaptors are plugged into.
    "Speed" (Bandwidth) expectation of Ethernet Home Networks using Windows -
    http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware? -
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 18, 2009