Re: Powerline networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lem, Oct 17, 2009.

  1. Lem

    Lem Guest

    Jef Roe wrote:
    > Am I missing something on this networking principle...
    >
    > Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
    > implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.
    >
    > Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

    I don't use PL networking, so I don't know where you get your "typical"
    information from. The Linksys PLK300 claims (but see test below) "Up to
    200Mbps transfer rate at physical layer" but "actual throughput of the
    PLK300 is limited to 100 Mbps by the Ethernet 10/100 specification, and
    will vary depending on network traffic and environmental conditions such
    as building wiring type and routing."

    You presumably are comparing a PL adapter with a 14 Mbps spec (original
    PL HomePlug 1.0) to a wireless-G network. Don't forget that 54 Mbps is
    the theoretical maximum for 802.11g. If there is radio frequencey
    interference, long distance, or obstructions between your client and
    access point, wifi throughput is considerably lessened.

    AFAIK, the "praise" (if any) that PL networking gets is due in part to
    the fact that it can connect through building construction or in the
    presence of RFI or long distances that might interfere with radio
    transmission. They also are easy to set up.

    See this more or less negative review of PL networking from this past
    June: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Powerline-Networking-Test,review-1333.html
    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: