Re: Power supply version / odd voltage reading / monitor blacking out

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, May 20, 2008.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:53:48 +1200, Nighthawk <>
    wrote:

    >I've been battling with a problem with an LCD monitor attached to ASUS
    >M2A-VM HDMI mobo (ATI 690G chipset - X1250 onboard video, where the
    >monitor keeps blacking out.
    >
    >The mobo went back and was replaced, but instantly resumed the
    >flashing the moment XP loaded. I suspected the 8.3 version of the
    >driver as there were some issues with that but when I booted up with
    >Puppy Linux on a CD and set the res to 1920x1200 for the Samsung 26"
    >monitor, it also started to black out, so that rules out OS / driver
    >issues.
    >
    >There is no problem when running at low resolutions. I ran SpeedFan
    >and noticed that the -12V was reading -16.97V. How significant is
    >that?

    I had the same problem when I tried to connect my 21inch Viewsonic
    monitor up to an older video card via HDMI. It worked fine on the
    mainboard's d-sub though. I gave up in the end thinking maybe the
    video card couldn't handle a screen that higher res via HDMI.

    As for the PSU, I got a 430w HighPower one recently. It seems pretty
    decent and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the others.

    Craig Shore, May 20, 2008

  2. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:53:48 +1200, Nighthawk <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've been battling with a problem with an LCD monitor attached to
    >> ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mobo (ATI 690G chipset - X1250 onboard video, where
    >> the monitor keeps blacking out.
    >>
    >> The mobo went back and was replaced, but instantly resumed the
    >> flashing the moment XP loaded. I suspected the 8.3 version of the
    >> driver as there were some issues with that but when I booted up with
    >> Puppy Linux on a CD and set the res to 1920x1200 for the Samsung 26"
    >> monitor, it also started to black out, so that rules out OS / driver
    >> issues.
    >>
    >> There is no problem when running at low resolutions. I ran SpeedFan
    >> and noticed that the -12V was reading -16.97V. How significant is
    >> that?

    > I had the same problem when I tried to connect my 21inch Viewsonic
    > monitor up to an older video card via HDMI. It worked fine on the
    > mainboard's d-sub though. I gave up in the end thinking maybe the
    > video card couldn't handle a screen that higher res via HDMI.
    >
    > As for the PSU, I got a 430w HighPower one recently. It seems pretty
    > decent and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the others.

    HighPower are made by the same company which makes a lot of the Tt PSUs,
    Sirtec.

    I've found this list to be interesting as a guide. (AcBel doesn't have much
    of a presence in the US markets so there is a dearth of information about
    them. I suspect that they would be higher up the list with greater market
    penetration and awareness.):

    http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12454

    Cheers,
    --