Re: Power supply version / odd voltage reading / monitor blacking out

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, May 18, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    says...

    > There is no problem when running at low resolutions. I ran SpeedFan
    > and noticed that the -12V was reading -16.97V. How significant is
    > that?

    Not. I get exactly the same reading off speedfan, with a
    Enermax psu and a GB mobo, and previously an Abit mobo.

    I seem to recall writing an email to Enermax about it and they
    replied that the -12V rail was actually no longer used nor even
    connected inside the psu and that the speedfan reading was
    erroneous/pure imagination.

    h.t.h., -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 18, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > From what I have found about this 430W ThermalTake PSU on various
    > websites, this is one PSU to avoid. It tests out as a 350W, well
    > below spec and the single 12V rail, rated as 18A actually only
    > delivers 16A. It is made by HEC, with ThermalTake's inflated labels
    > stuck on. So it seems not all Thermaltake's PSUs are good. One site
    > said only the ToughPower series is recommended.

    I don't think Thermaltake are all that good a brand generally.
    Maybe not exactly deserving of Roger's Crap mark, but...

    For Psu I'd go enermax or antec any day, possibly Zalman, and
    there are one or two other, more obscure brands whose name I've
    forgotten.

    But when I researched cooling for instance the last time I
    upgraded my box, the hardcore tekkie reviews of thermaltake
    were always very underwhelmed with their performance.

    Basically the brand pitches at teenagers who are likely to
    want to turn up at LAN parties with esoteric looking gear with
    lots of shining lights, flashing fans and blinking LEDs is my
    impression :p

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 19, 2008

  3. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    > I don't think Thermaltake are all that good a brand generally.
    > Maybe not exactly deserving of Roger's Crap mark, but...
    >
    > For Psu I'd go enermax or antec any day, possibly Zalman, and
    > there are one or two other, more obscure brands whose name I've
    > forgotten.

    I am in full agreement with you over Tt PSUs. For half the price you can get
    twice the PSU (AcBel). They do look rather ordinary though, unless you spend
    more on their bling range.

    > But when I researched cooling for instance the last time I
    > upgraded my box, the hardcore tekkie reviews of thermaltake
    > were always very underwhelmed with their performance.

    I have fitted a few Tt Typoon coolers and I personally have a Tt
    Mini-Typhoon cooler. I'm more than satisfied with them, they are two of the
    very few top-down high-capacity heatpipe CPU coolers on the market. Having
    the fan blowing 'top-down' rather than sideways is important to me since I
    learned my lesson long ago about the importance of keeping the VRM
    components around the CPU socket cool. You might get away without worrying
    about it short-term but for longevity of the mobo it's essential.

    Sure, some of the current darlings of the 'hardcore tekkie' crowd may cool
    the *CPU* a few degrees more but they do nothing for the VRMs, most of which
    are designed to be cooled by air spilling off the (boxed) CPU cooler. No
    point having an extra-cool CPU but blown MOSFETs or cooked capacitors in the
    VRMs IME/O.

    > Basically the brand pitches at teenagers who are likely to
    > want to turn up at LAN parties with esoteric looking gear with
    > lots of shining lights, flashing fans and blinking LEDs is my
    > impression :p

    Yeah. However, Tt were the innovators, blazing the path for other companies.
    They were the first successful company to market third-party CPU coolers
    successfully (starting with the 'Golden Orb') and were first with
    mass-market "custom" cases. (An oxymoron, I know. <g>)

    IMO Tt do some things well and other things not-so-well, like most companies
    who cover a range of products.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2008
  4. In article <48322993$>,
    says...

    > > But when I researched cooling for instance the last time I
    > > upgraded my box, the hardcore tekkie reviews of thermaltake
    > > were always very underwhelmed with their performance.

    > I have fitted a few Tt Typoon coolers and I personally have a Tt
    > Mini-Typhoon cooler. I'm more than satisfied with them, they are two of the
    > very few top-down high-capacity heatpipe CPU coolers on the market. Having
    > the fan blowing 'top-down' rather than sideways is important to me since I
    > learned my lesson long ago about the importance of keeping the VRM
    > components around the CPU socket cool. You might get away without worrying
    > about it short-term but for longevity of the mobo it's essential.

    Oh yes, I hear what you are saying. That's why I didn't get a
    scythe ninja for my latest comp but went for watercooling, so I
    could have a waterblock on the bridge controller chip as well.
    The Tt watercooling got bad reviews, b.t.w., that's where my
    statement came from, not so much their forced air heatsinks.

    > Sure, some of the current darlings of the 'hardcore tekkie' crowd may cool
    > the *CPU* a few degrees more but they do nothing for the VRMs, most of which
    > are designed to be cooled by air spilling off the (boxed) CPU cooler. No
    > point having an extra-cool CPU but blown MOSFETs or cooked capacitors in the
    > VRMs IME/O.

    Now, the vrms don't even get significantly warm on my mobo, no
    worries there. I tested. The bridge chip, o.t.o.h. .....

    > Yeah. However, Tt were the innovators, blazing the path for other companies.
    > They were the first successful company to market third-party CPU coolers
    > successfully (starting with the 'Golden Orb')

    Gosh, you got me there. I had a Golden Orb for a while. Somehow
    my memory thought that that had been a Zalman product - I was
    mistaken.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, May 20, 2008
  5. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    > In article <48322993$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >>> But when I researched cooling for instance the last time I
    >>> upgraded my box, the hardcore tekkie reviews of thermaltake
    >>> were always very underwhelmed with their performance.

    >> I have fitted a few Tt Typoon coolers and I personally have a Tt
    >> Mini-Typhoon cooler. I'm more than satisfied with them, they are two
    >> of the very few top-down high-capacity heatpipe CPU coolers on the
    >> market. Having the fan blowing 'top-down' rather than sideways is
    >> important to me since I learned my lesson long ago about the
    >> importance of keeping the VRM components around the CPU socket cool.
    >> You might get away without worrying about it short-term but for
    >> longevity of the mobo it's essential.

    > Oh yes, I hear what you are saying. That's why I didn't get a
    > scythe ninja for my latest comp but went for watercooling, so I
    > could have a waterblock on the bridge controller chip as well.

    Excellent. I would if I could... Probably go with Swiftech.

    > The Tt watercooling got bad reviews, b.t.w., that's where my
    > statement came from, not so much their forced air heatsinks.

    Tt should stick to what they do well, air coolers. Mind you, the
    competition's so fierce that I can't blame them for wanting more irons in
    the fire.

    >> Sure, some of the current darlings of the 'hardcore tekkie' crowd
    >> may cool the *CPU* a few degrees more but they do nothing for the
    >> VRMs, most of which are designed to be cooled by air spilling off
    >> the (boxed) CPU cooler. No point having an extra-cool CPU but blown
    >> MOSFETs or cooked capacitors in the VRMs IME/O.

    > Now, the vrms don't even get significantly warm on my mobo, no
    > worries there. I tested. The bridge chip, o.t.o.h. .....

    My VRMs have heatsinks on them, I'm not taking any chances. The bridge 'sink
    has fins and a heatpipe, which I've supplemented with a 40mm² fan. Mind you,
    I'm an overclocker. I'm running a C2D E4500 (2.2GHz/800 FSB stock) at 3.2GHz
    1600FSB.

    >> Yeah. However, Tt were the innovators, blazing the path for other
    >> companies. They were the first successful company to market
    >> third-party CPU coolers successfully (starting with the 'Golden Orb')

    > Gosh, you got me there. I had a Golden Orb for a while. Somehow
    > my memory thought that that had been a Zalman product - I was
    > mistaken.

    Give me a minute, I'm a hoarder....

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1211281666.jpg

    (Sorry about the quality of the pic. My camera requires some jiggering
    around with white-balance to get good shots under these CFLs, I couldn't be
    bothered.)

    There ya go! Made for the Celeron 300A but has since done duty on a
    Coppermine or two. I used to have a Socket 370 version as well but something
    came into contact with a fan blade while it was running and broke it off. I
    discarded it thinking I'd never find another fan. Yeah, usual story, I was
    given one a few months later. I liked them as they threw air all around the
    socket, cooling the VRMs and the bridge. Kinda why I'm using the
    Mini-Typhoon now.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2008
  6. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Give me a minute, I'm a hoarder....
    >
    > http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1211281666.jpg
    >
    > (Sorry about the quality of the pic. My camera requires some jiggering
    > around with white-balance to get good shots under these CFLs, I couldn't be
    > bothered.)

    Do I recognise that? IIRC it was bought from DSE Onehunga for $2.00 as
    a 'Reduced to Clear" item (one of the 20 or so I bought at the time).

    EMB, May 20, 2008
  7. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Give me a minute, I'm a hoarder....
    >>
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1211281666.jpg
    >>
    >> (Sorry about the quality of the pic. My camera requires some
    >> jiggering around with white-balance to get good shots under these
    >> CFLs, I couldn't be bothered.)

    > Do I recognise that? IIRC it was bought from DSE Onehunga for $2.00
    > as a 'Reduced to Clear" item (one of the 20 or so I bought at the
    > time).

    Heh! You gave me two of them. Good memory. I already had one. You giving
    those to me is the source of the "spare fan" I mentioned in my reply to
    Peter. The fans are the same in the Slot 1 and the Socket 370 versions.
    Unfortunately I'd thrown out the Socket 370 'sink not long before,
    despairing of ever finding a replacement fan for it. (Without paying through
    the nose.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2008
  8. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:

    [About Thermaltake]

    > Their CPU coolers seem to be good but I wonder if they are a 'me too'
    > entrant in PSU's.

    Yeah, very much so. Their PSUs are made by a company, Sirtec, who make a lot
    of PSUs for others. Badge engineering. That's consistant with your final
    statement.

    > I have ordered an Enermax Liberty 400W which has dual 12V rails with
    > 20A on each, certified for CrossFire or SLI.

    It's hard to go wrong with Enermax.

    > I did consider AcBel.

    However, for those on a tighter budget it's hard to go past AcBel.

    My sub-NZ$100 510W (max, 450 nominal) AcBel PSU has two 18A 12V rails.
    (<http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleE2-510.jpg>) I'm very impressed with
    the construction values of AcBels. I always open them up (if they're for me)
    and have a look at the internals. They're very heavy and just look tidy and
    well made. Also I liked that it has two four-wire 12V connectors for the CPU
    power. (My motherboard has a socket that takes them both as well...) It's
    hard to fault 80% efficiency at this price-point too.

    When I bought my first AcBel I was able to overclock my AMD Barton quite a
    bit more with the new PSU. There was far less Vcore variance than with the
    previous PSU.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2008
  9. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Heh! You gave me two of them. Good memory. I already had one. You giving
    > those to me is the source of the "spare fan" I mentioned in my reply to
    > Peter. The fans are the same in the Slot 1 and the Socket 370 versions.
    > Unfortunately I'd thrown out the Socket 370 'sink not long before,
    > despairing of ever finding a replacement fan for it. (Without paying through
    > the nose.)

    Bugger, I binned a new S370 Tt HSF not long before I sent the Slot1
    stuff your way.

    EMB, May 20, 2008
  10. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Heh! You gave me two of them. Good memory. I already had one. You
    >> giving those to me is the source of the "spare fan" I mentioned in
    >> my reply to Peter. The fans are the same in the Slot 1 and the
    >> Socket 370 versions. Unfortunately I'd thrown out the Socket 370
    >> 'sink not long before, despairing of ever finding a replacement fan
    >> for it. (Without paying through the nose.)

    > Bugger, I binned a new S370 Tt HSF not long before I sent the Slot1
    > stuff your way.

    Bugger indeed. I'm still running a few S370 Tualatins and, while the CPU
    runs quite cool, a lot of the mobos run the VRMs hot to supply the low
    voltage, high current that Tuis pull compared with Coppermines. (Tui
    compatability was a bit of an afterthough with most mobos, they were a
    short-lived CPU. At least in that incarnation. Ultimately they were the
    forerunners of the 'Core' CPUs that Intel are having so much success with
    now.) That's why I like those Tt S370 coolers, lots of air circulation
    around the socket/VRM area.

    Oh well... :)
    --
    Shaun.