Re: Power Line Networking (over AC mains in home or small office)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trevor Smith, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Trevor Smith

    Trevor Smith Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > There is a UK company called Mustek which makes a product that attaches to
    > any ethernet port (router or PC) and provides network connectivity through
    > AC mains in one's home or small office. Has anyone out there ever done

    this
    > using either the Mustek product or something like this (for AC mains) from
    > another company? If so, what was the reliability?

    Without addressing your question directly (reliability), in my view now that
    Wifi devices are widely available and affordable, there seems no reason to
    network over the mains, which must always have - at least the potential (no
    pun intended!) - risks of hefty voltage spikes and isolation breaking down.

    HTH

    Trevor.

    Trevor Smith, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Trevor Smith

    HamMan Guest

    "Trevor Smith" < (substitute bt for beetee)>
    wrote in message news:bid630$g3f$...

    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > > There is a UK company called Mustek which makes a product that attaches

    > > any ethernet port (router or PC) and provides network connectivity

    through
    > > AC mains in one's home or small office. Has anyone out there ever done

    > this
    > > using either the Mustek product or something like this (for AC mains)

    from
    > > another company? If so, what was the reliability?
    > >

    > Without addressing your question directly (reliability), in my view now

    that
    > Wifi devices are widely available and affordable, there seems no reason to
    > network over the mains, which must always have - at least the potential

    (no
    > pun intended!)

    Thats really low

    HamMan, Aug 25, 2003