Re: Posting to a newsgroup without archive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Yetto, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Mike Yetto

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Evan Platt <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:58:44 -0700, "micky" <mickyMouse@.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I say on a couple of newsgroups that some post can be deleted automatically
    >>after so many days. I was wondering how is this done and what do you write
    >>in the body of the text.
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > Umm.. You don't. What you're probably thinking of is the Google Groups
    > Archive, which you CAN set to only store for 7 days. But this is only
    > for the copy stored on Google's servers.

    Point of order:
    Google does not remove the post marked "X-No-Archive: yes" after
    a week, but it does stop displaying it.

    > Your message otherwise is stored for the retention time of the
    > other newsservers use - often 120 days, sometimes even more for
    > less active groups.
    >
    > For Google Groups, you can either add a header field OR the first line
    > of your message:

    > It's cleaner to do it in the header if your newsreader allows.

    And this X header does not affect news-server retention or most
    archive site other than Google.

    Mike "and it doesn't affect replies" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Apr 23, 2010