Re: Posting RAR inside ZIP inside RAR

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Feb 28, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    -1- your newsreader's configuration has no From handle/nym.
    -2- you are using someone else's domainname in your From
    -3- you should create a nym/handle and you should From munge better

    > Just blowing off some steam here.

    Why are you blowing off here?

    > In another newsgroup someone posted something as a RAR file, which
    > when opened, was a Zip file, which when opened was another RAR file.
    > What is the point?

    I can speculate how that might have happened.

    -1- Usenet binaries are very commonly 'passed around' without even being
    decompressed and evaluated by the poster/uploader. Someone gets a file
    from somewhere and then they upload it somewhere.

    -2- Many many binary groups prefer/recommend posting an archive as a
    ..rar rather than a .zip.

    -3- Some users are more familiar with .zip than .rar and may not
    recognize that .rar is an efficient compression scheme nor recognize
    that it isn't likely that zipping a rar is going to do anything but
    waste time, so they zip a rar they found somewhere and upload it.

    -4- Consequent to #1-3 above, once upon a time something got compressed
    into a .rar; then someone else got the file, did no evaluation or
    recognition of what they had and foolishly zipped it - 'recompressed'
    it. Then someone else got the zip file and decided to upload it without
    going to the trouble of decompressing and reconstructing it, and .rar/ed
    the .zip because rar is the preferred compression scheme.

    It is (further) likely that if /you/ pass the file around by uploading
    it somewhere, that you will not deconstruct and/or reconstruct it, but
    you will likely upload it 'as is'. So then the next person will be
    wondering why you uploaded it that way.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 28, 2010