Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, May 20, 2011.

  1. David Dyer-Bennet

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 26, 3:55 am, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > DanP writes:
    > > So you don't need an antivirus with Windows.

    > If you're a smart user, correct.

    rubbish.
    Obviously you're not a smart user.

    > > Doh. I want to use my computer online. And wouldn't an AV protect
    > > against the malware?

    > It might, or it might not. But most malware enters systems via social
    > engineering, not via technical compromise of the system.

    What do you mean by social engineering and how does that change things
    anyway.

    > > Why did MS bother making an AV if you don't need one?

    > Microsoft makes lots of products that aren't needed by a majority of users.

    Crap reply.

    > > And why do they
    > > recommend having one "to protect your PC"?

    > Unsophisticated users are easily tricked into loading malware onto their
    > machines.

    True but then you don;t have to be Unsophisticated.

    > > If you don't run an AV on Windows you have no way of knowing you run a
    > > clean system ...

    > If you know how the system works, you can generally tell if it's clean.

    How can you tell whether a program is sending out data to the outside
    world ?
    Do you know how to log port accesses do you even know they exist.
    Do you know you are about to sent/receive to port 80 ?
    Whisky-dave, May 26, 2011

  2. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > DanP writes:

    >> So you don't need an antivirus with Windows.

    > If you're a smart user, correct.

    Smart drivers use seatbelts and airbags, even if they never
    need them.

    >> Doh. I want to use my computer online. And wouldn't an AV protect
    >> against the malware?

    > It might, or it might not. But most malware enters systems via social
    > engineering, not via technical compromise of the system.

    How do I detect malware?
    How do I keep the false positives ratio low?

    >> Why did MS bother making an AV if you don't need one?

    > Microsoft makes lots of products that aren't needed by a majority of users.

    One could argue Windows was one of them.

    >> If you don't run an AV on Windows you have no way of knowing you run a
    >> clean system ...

    > If you know how the system works, you can generally tell if it's clean.

    No, you cannot. You (like AV software) can at best find that
    you cannot detect anything, not that nothing is there.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 26, 2011

  3. David Dyer-Bennet

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Mxsmanic
    <> wrote:

    > > how do you get the updates?

    > You download the updates after installation.

    which requires an internet connection.
    nospam, May 26, 2011
  4. David Dyer-Bennet

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Mxsmanic
    <> wrote:

    > > How do you deal with the very common usage case of downloading
    > > some program from the internet?

    > That's easy: Don't download.

    that makes it quite difficult to get new software or updates to
    existing software, most of which is distributed on line. the days of
    buying boxed copies with a cd/dvd or floppy disk are over.
    nospam, May 26, 2011
  5. David Dyer-Bennet

    John Turco Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > > In article <>, Mxsmanic
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > DanP writes:
    > > >
    > > > I would not think for a moment to run my Windows laptop without a
    > > > third party antivirus.

    > > I've done that for as long as Windows has existed. In fact, for most
    > > of Windows' history, I've run with no antivirus at all. AV products
    > > often cause more problems than they solve.

    > bullshit. you're either incredibly lucky or a liar.

    Well, I've been doing the same as "Mxsmanic" has (on dial-up), since
    1996. I started out with DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1, on a Pionex 486DX2/66MHz
    tower computer, in 1995.

    The worst thing that ever happened, was the temporary hijacking of my
    "Google Toolbar."

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 27, 2011
  6. David Dyer-Bennet

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 27, 12:20 am, John Turco <> wrote:
    > nospam wrote:

    > > > I've done that for as long as Windows has existed. In fact, for most
    > > > of Windows' history, I've run with no antivirus at all. AV products
    > > > often cause more problems than they solve.

    > > bullshit. you're either incredibly lucky or a liar.

    > Well, I've been doing the same as "Mxsmanic" has (on dial-up), since
    > 1996. I started out with DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1, on a Pionex 486DX2/66MHz
    > tower computer, in 1995.
    >
    > The worst thing that ever happened, was the temporary hijacking of my
    > "Google Toolbar."

    The worst thing you think that has happened, people like you run
    zombie PCs
    you're an excellent target because you won;t know if you've been hit.

    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/04/zombie-computer/
    Whisky-dave, May 27, 2011
  7. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

    >> How do you deal with the very common usage case of downloading
    >> some program from the internet?

    > That's easy: Don't download.

    No windows updates any more. Yay! Secure forever!

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 5, 2011
  8. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

    >> Your brain is incapable of deciding if the machine is
    >> infected. (So is AV software, but it's faster and more
    >> accurate.)

    > Faster and more accurate at being incapable?

    Stop playing even denser than you are.

    >> BTW, how about Outlook preview? Is it really fixed nowadays?

    > I don't know. I abandoned Outlook long ago, and one reason was that I couldn't
    > disable previews. I use an e-mail program that allows me to force everything
    > to plain text, so e-mail exploits simply don't work.

    Insecure temporary files.
    Header field overflows.

    And how do I get the email program if I nay not download it?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 5, 2011
  9. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

    >> Office.

    > They are typically backward-compatible to some extent.

    Which means you don't only have to keep the data on
    up-to-date media but you also have to buy office every now
    and then to update the office format. (And of course you
    need to buy a newer office if any of your business contacts
    uses one and doesn't jump through hoops for you.)

    > But I abandoned Office a long time ago, too.

    Most people cannot. They have a job, and there ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 8, 2011
  10. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:
    > > Mxsmanic <> wrote:

    > > > If you're a smart user, correct.

    > > Smart drivers use seatbelts and airbags, even if they never
    > > need them.

    So you cede the point that not using virus scanners, firewall and protection
    rules and so on is *not* smart?

    > > > It might, or it might not. But most malware enters systems via social
    > > > engineering, not via technical compromise of the system.

    > > How do I detect malware?
    > > How do I keep the false positives ratio low?

    > Know your system. Watch for any change.

    I.e. detect it after the damage is done. Buy a fire alarm that's
    a bag of canon crackers, don't trust smoke detectors!

    > > > Microsoft makes lots of products that aren't needed by a majority of users.

    > > One could argue Windows was one of them.

    > A third-grader might make puerile arguments like that. A mature grown-up would
    > not.

    I sense a Windows-fanatic, hurt.

    > > > If you know how the system works, you can generally tell if it's clean.

    > > No, you cannot. You (like AV software) can at best find that
    > > you cannot detect anything, not that nothing is there.

    And again you cede the point and admit you were wrong.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 8, 2011
  11. nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Mxsmanic

    >> > how do you get the updates?

    >> You download the updates after installation.

    > which requires an internet connection.

    During which you'll need a firewall to protect Windows from
    itself.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 8, 2011
  12. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

    >> > But I abandoned Office a long time ago, too.

    >> Most people cannot. They have a job, and there ...

    > That rather invalidates the assertion that applications running on Linux can
    > replace it, doesn't it?

    That's like saying during the existence of the USSR "the fact
    that people live in the USSR rather invalidates the assertion
    that democracy and/or freedom can replace communism and tyranny".

    Most people don't have the freedom to choose their applications
    and OSses at work, never mind if they would work or not.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 9, 2011
  13. David Dyer-Bennet

    John Turco Guest

    Whisky-dave wrote:

    > > > bullshit. you're either incredibly lucky or a liar.

    > > Well, I've been doing the same as "Mxsmanic" has (on dial-up), since
    > > 1996. I started out with DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1, on a Pionex 486DX2/66MHz
    > > tower computer, in 1995.
    > >
    > > The worst thing that ever happened, was the temporary hijacking of my
    > > "Google Toolbar."

    > The worst thing you think that has happened, people like you run zombie
    > PCs you're an excellent target because you won;t know if you've been hit.
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/04/zombie-computer/

    That Web page dates to April of 2008!

    Please, my alchohol-sodden friend...provide a more recent citation of
    such "zombie PC" hysterical nonsense.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>