Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2011.

  1. On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:33:02 AM UTC-5, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > The problem is that monochrome image sensors are not
    > equally sensitive to all colors, and instead map
    > different colors to different intensity levels.
    >
    > That means there has to be some form of a "color"
    > filter. If it were not a Bayer filter used to encode a
    > broad range of color information it would mean the
    > camera would have the option of only using one type of
    > "film". You could buy, for example, a camera that
    > matched Kodak Tri-X or one that matched Ilford HP5;
    > which is not nearly as nice as having a Bayer filter and
    > being able to use the same camera to emulate virtually
    > any monochrome film.

    In 30+ years of shooting film kind of seriously, I never once
    found myself caring about the color rendering of a given B&W
    film (modern panchromatic films). Tri-X, Plus-X, FP4, HP5,
    whatever.

    I know some people did care. But lots and lots didn't.

    For me, the draw is really the increased ISO sensitivity, plus
    not having to worry about color balance. I shoot in low light
    a lot.

    > To put it mildly, even for B&W the functionality of the
    > Bayer pattern encoding is extremely useful.

    For people doing serious B&W landscape I can see the color rendering
    mattering a lot more, and of course the ability to retroactively
    apply the standard (plus anything you can dream up) B&W filters to
    alter tone rendering is very useful. I make use of it myself when
    converting color to B&W, but I'd be willing to give it up for the
    other benefits I see.

    Not sure I'd be willing to buy a second body costing more than my main
    one to do the dedicated B&W, though; it may well be a hopeless idea
    economically.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2011

  2. Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:

    > You low competence level as a photographer is not
    > significant to the requirements of others.

    The fact that you have no arguments shows clearly in the ad
    hominem.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2011

  3. Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote:
    >>Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:

    >>> You low competence level as a photographer is not
    >>> significant to the requirements of others.

    >>The fact that you have no arguments shows clearly in the ad
    >>hominem.

    > He pointed out the level,

    and you used it to denigrate and to imply he didn't know what he
    was talking about.

    > I merely said it wasn't significant.
    > to others.

    TO THE REQUIREMENTS of others.
    You imply more competent photographers had different (higher)
    requirements, 'but you wouldn't understand'.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 17, 2011
  4. Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote:
    >>Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:

    >>> He pointed out the level,

    >>and you used it to denigrate and to imply he didn't know what he
    >>was talking about.

    >>> I merely said it wasn't significant.
    >>> to others.

    >>TO THE REQUIREMENTS of others.
    >>You imply more competent photographers had different (higher)
    >>requirements, 'but you wouldn't understand'.

    > That's idiotic. What I said was quite pertinent.

    You call ad hominem insults pertinent?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 21, 2011