Re: Ports/services for drive mapping

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thrill5, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. Thrill5

    Thrill5 Guest

    Depends on what protocol is being used to map the drive which is dependent
    on the server OS.

    Thrill5, Apr 17, 2009

  2. Thrill5

    bod43 Guest

    On 18 Apr, 00:44, David Kerber
    <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
    > In article <gsavv1$>,
    > says...
    >
    > > Depends on what protocol is being used to map the drive which is dependent
    > > on the server OS.

    > Windows 2000 and XP on both ends (at least for now).
    >

    > > "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote in message
    > > > What ports or services do I need to enable to allow mapping a drive
    > > > letter from my inside network to a server in the DMZ?  I'm setting up an
    > > > ASA 5505, and need to be able to connect a drive on the web server as a
    > > > mapped network drive from my inside machines.

    Windows uses TCP port 445 for drive mappings.
    Well last time I looked it simultaneously
    attempted to connect with 445 and also the obsolete TCP 139.
    It used whichever worked first.

    It is called SMB (server message block) and was renamed
    some years ago by microsoft to CIFS Common Internet File
    System.

    Interestingly, it is not commonly used on the Internet and
    is in fact singularly unsuited for use as a file system
    communicating across the Internet. Still, marketing
    seems to matter much more than functionality.

    Ho hum.

    If you want to map to servers by name you will have to make
    name resolution work. You can of course map drives by IP
    address if you prefer.

    net use x: \\1.2.3.4\share-name

    bod43, Apr 18, 2009