Re: Porting number to Sipgate

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by tony sayer, Jul 17, 2013.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Michael Chare
    <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.?> scribeth thus
    >I see that I can't port a BT number to an ordinary Sipgate account.
    >
    >Is this a recent change or has it never been possible? Has anyone
    >managed to do it anyway?

    I've heard of it being done, theres usually a charge of 20 quid or so for doing it...

    Have you seen this on their website?..

    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jul 17, 2013

  2. tony sayer

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:10:21 +0100, Michael Chare
    <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk> wrote:

    >On 17/07/2013 18:03, tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <>, Michael Chare
    >> <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.?> scribeth thus
    >>> I see that I can't port a BT number to an ordinary Sipgate account.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a recent change or has it never been possible? Has anyone
    >>> managed to do it anyway?
    >>>

    >> I've heard of it being done, theres usually a charge of 20 quid or so for doing it...
    >>
    >> Have you seen this on their website?..
    >>
    >> http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true
    >>

    >Yes, it is the lines that says
    >
    >"It is not possible to port your existing number to a sipgate Basic
    >account."
    >
    >that is bothering me. Have they always had this rule?
    >
    >It may be that I will want to port my residential BT line number to a
    >VOIP provider. I have been a very minor Sipgate user form some years and
    >it would be nice to stay with them. However if I can't port my BT line
    >then it is a non starter.

    voipfone.co.uk will do it.
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 17, 2013

  3. Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@charedotorgdotuk> wrote:
    > Yes, it is the lines that says
    >
    > "It is not possible to port your existing number to a sipgate Basic
    > account."
    >
    > that is bothering me. Have they always had this rule?

    Hang on, 'sipgate basic' is their only residential offering, while 'sipgate
    team' is their business VOIP. I'm pretty sure there's never been a
    restriction on porting in numbers to residential accounts - many people have
    reported doing so. So sounds like a new rule.

    So what's the next best suggestion for porting in PSTN numbers somewhere at
    minimal ongoing cost?

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 17, 2013
  4. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Graham.
    <> scribeth thus
    >On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:10:21 +0100, Michael Chare
    ><mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk> wrote:
    >
    >>On 17/07/2013 18:03, tony sayer wrote:
    >>> In article <>, Michael Chare
    >>> <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.?> scribeth thus

    >>> I've heard of it being done, theres usually a charge of 20 quid or so for

    >doing it...
    >>>
    >>> Have you seen this on their website?..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&to

    >p=true
    >>>

    >>Yes, it is the lines that says
    >>
    >>"It is not possible to port your existing number to a sipgate Basic
    >>account."
    >>
    >>that is bothering me. Have they always had this rule?
    >>
    >>It may be that I will want to port my residential BT line number to a
    >>VOIP provider. I have been a very minor Sipgate user form some years and
    >>it would be nice to stay with them. However if I can't port my BT line
    >>then it is a non starter.

    >voipfone.co.uk will do it.
    >http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

    Yes we use them and very good they are too, at least you can talk to
    someone in the UK if you do have a problem or query...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jul 18, 2013
  5. tony sayer

    Graham. Guest

    On 17 Jul 2013 23:59:41 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@charedotorgdotuk> wrote:
    >> Yes, it is the lines that says
    >>
    >> "It is not possible to port your existing number to a sipgate Basic
    >> account."
    >>
    >> that is bothering me. Have they always had this rule?

    >Hang on, 'sipgate basic' is their only residential offering, while 'sipgate
    >team' is their business VOIP. I'm pretty sure there's never been a
    >restriction on porting in numbers to residential accounts - many people have
    >reported doing so. So sounds like a new rule.
    >
    >So what's the next best suggestion for porting in PSTN numbers somewhere at
    >minimal ongoing cost?
    >
    >Theo

    I was supprised to see that clause in Sipgate Basic site, I am sure
    people have ported their numbers to them.

    What concernes me is the longivity of a number once ported to a VoIP
    provider.
    To put things in perspective the number of the landline serving this
    (Manchester) property has remained the same since the line was
    installed about 70 years ago! and that's all 7 digits of the local
    number as the director code PRE for Prestwich became 773 ie no change.

    What odds would I get for Sipgate and Voipfone still going in 2083?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 18, 2013
  6. In article <>,
    Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk> wrote:
    >On 17/07/2013 18:03, tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <>, Michael Chare
    >> <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.?> scribeth thus
    >>> I see that I can't port a BT number to an ordinary Sipgate account.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a recent change or has it never been possible? Has anyone
    >>> managed to do it anyway?
    >>>

    >> I've heard of it being done, theres usually a charge of 20 quid or so for doing it...
    >>
    >> Have you seen this on their website?..
    >>
    >> http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13&id=225&top=true
    >>

    >Yes, it is the lines that says
    >
    >"It is not possible to port your existing number to a sipgate Basic
    >account."
    >
    >that is bothering me. Have they always had this rule?

    It costs sipgate to keep the number going, so if you're not going to make
    calls via it, then they need to charge for it - I guess the basic account
    doesn't come with a fee, (long time since I looked at their offerings)
    so it'll never be financially viable for them to do it.

    I use the same wholesaler as Sipgate and experience the same thing.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jul 18, 2013
  7. In article <>,
    Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk> wrote:

    >Does an ex land line number cost more for some reason? My little used
    >Sipgate number has the same area code as my land line.

    It costs me the same, once its been ported. I don't speak for Spigate -
    they might have a better deal than me.

    >Do Sipgate get a termination fee if someone calls my Sipgate number from
    >a land line or mobile?

    I don't - Sipgate might, but it's all going to stop in October anyway,
    so that might affect their business model.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jul 20, 2013
  8. tony sayer

    Nick Guest

    On 20/07/2013 08:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >> Do Sipgate get a termination fee if someone calls my Sipgate number from
    >> a land line or mobile?

    > I don't - Sipgate might, but it's all going to stop in October anyway,
    > so that might affect their business model.

    Do you have a reference outlining this change and its likely consequences?

    I transferred my number to Sipgate earlier this year. As I don't use
    Sipgate for outgoing calls it sounds as if this means Sipgate will have
    to start charging people like me a monthly fee.
    Nick, Jul 20, 2013
  9. tony sayer

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 09:32:41 +0100, Nick <>
    wrote:

    >On 20/07/2013 08:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >>> Do Sipgate get a termination fee if someone calls my Sipgate number from
    >>> a land line or mobile?

    >> I don't - Sipgate might, but it's all going to stop in October anyway,
    >> so that might affect their business model.
    >>

    >Do you have a reference outlining this change and its likely consequences?
    >
    >I transferred my number to Sipgate earlier this year. As I don't use
    >Sipgate for outgoing calls it sounds as if this means Sipgate will have
    >to start charging people like me a monthly fee.

    It sounds as if all "free" geographic numbers may be in jeopardy, not
    just ported-in ones.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 20, 2013
  10. tony sayer

    Graham. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:08:50 +0100, alexd <>
    wrote:

    >Michael Chare (for it is he) wrote:
    >
    >> On 20/07/2013 08:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >>> I don't - Sipgate might, but it's all going to stop in October anyway,
    >>> so that might affect their business model.

    >> What is going to stop? Do you have any references?

    >Published 5/2/13, implementation date 10/13. Another steaming hot mug of WTF
    >from Ofcom:
    >
    >http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/nmr-13/
    >
    >Particularly:
    >
    >http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bi...13/responses/Internet_Telephony_Services1.pdf
    >
    >Were you aware that we're discussing "fixed narrowband services"? I wasn't.

    Good grief. What category do they put postal communications in?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 23, 2013