Re: Portable screen for field viewing of digital pictures?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by (Pete Cresswell), Sep 18, 2003.

  1. RE/
    >Does anyone know of a battery powered device that can receive cf cards (or
    >direct connection to a camera) that has a larger screen than the S400?

    With an add-on driver, my Clie NX-70 supposedly will.

    I've loaded a few full-sized pix onto it's MemoryStick so I know it will render
    them. Screen's a little larger than most Palm Pilots. You can zoom and
    scroll - but the initial rendering is kind of slow.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Sep 18, 2003

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    Alan Hogg Guest

    Many thanks for all of your comments on this topic. It has been
    interesting reading all the ideas.

    My field photography involves backpacking trips in the mountains for up to
    14 days. There is no power and no chance of carrying laptops, with all of
    the other camping and photographic paraphenalia.

    I cannot find a battery operated light weight digital picture frames -
    does such a beast exist?

    I really do not want the extra weight of a device with portable hard drive
    etc like the FlashTrax but maybe that is the only option - battery life
    doesn't look too flash though (pls excuse the pun!).

    Thanks again,

    Alan

    Alan Hogg, Sep 18, 2003

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    CSM1 Guest

    "Alan Hogg" <> wrote in message
    > Many thanks for all of your comments on this topic. It has been
    > interesting reading all the ideas.
    >
    > My field photography involves backpacking trips in the mountains for up to
    > 14 days. There is no power and no chance of carrying laptops, with all of
    > the other camping and photographic paraphenalia.
    >
    > I cannot find a battery operated light weight digital picture frames -
    > does such a beast exist?
    >
    > I really do not want the extra weight of a device with portable hard drive
    > etc like the FlashTrax but maybe that is the only option - battery life
    > doesn't look too flash though (pls excuse the pun!).
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Alan

    Storage of images:
    For weight, I would just buy more media cards, they are light, only weigh an
    ounce or two.

    The battery charge problem, I have no idea, you just have to carry a charger
    and find power somewhere. Or carry extra LI-ION batteries (more weight).

    For backpacking I think that a standard manual 35mm camera and several packs
    of film would be safer. No batteries. Of course, you would not see the
    pictures until you got back and had the film processed!

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Sep 19, 2003
  4. (Pete Cresswell)

    Dutch Guest

    >RE/
    >>Does anyone know of a battery powered device that can receive cf cards (or
    >>direct connection to a camera) that has a larger screen than the S400?

    >With an add-on driver, my Clie NX-70 supposedly will.
    >
    >I've loaded a few full-sized pix onto it's MemoryStick so I know it will render
    >them. Screen's a little larger than most Palm Pilots. You can zoom and
    >scroll - but the initial rendering is kind of slow.
    >PeteCresswell

    I use my HP iPAQ 1910 and Resco Picture Viewer. Essentially it lets
    me show a 2.5x3" image. Works okay.

    It's just a dream...now go back to sleep!

    Dutch

    Dutch, Sep 19, 2003