Re: portability of MS SQL/Postgres/MySQL experience?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steven H, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    In article <Xns93D69AE163104backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > It has been a while since I touched SQL seriously (on a mainframe of all
    > things :), and I'm considering getting back into SQL for a few projects I
    > have in mind.
    >
    > How portable would MS SQL training be if I then wanted to dabble with
    > MySQL/Postgres?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    SQL is SQL in any langage!

    baring specific dialect ehnancements in specific versions there should
    be little to no issues with porting over your skills.

    the only main diffrence could be the interface, MySql & PSql are mainly
    console (you can get a ui for them) but that is really the only
    diffrence.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Steven H

    back again Guest

    Steven H <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: portability of MS SQL/Postgres/MySQL experience?
    > From: Steven H <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > In article <Xns93D69AE163104backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>,
    > says...
    >> It has been a while since I touched SQL seriously (on a mainframe of
    >> all things :), and I'm considering getting back into SQL for a few
    >> projects I have in mind.
    >>
    >> How portable would MS SQL training be if I then wanted to dabble with
    >> MySQL/Postgres?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mark
    >>

    > SQL is SQL in any langage!
    >
    > baring specific dialect ehnancements in specific versions there should
    > be little to no issues with porting over your skills.
    >
    > the only main diffrence could be the interface, MySql & PSql are
    > mainly console (you can get a ui for them) but that is really the only
    > diffrence.

    Okay - cool.

    Thanks Steven.
    back again, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Steven H

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:55:12 +1200, Steven H <>
    wrote:

    >the only main diffrence could be the interface, MySql & PSql are mainly
    >console (you can get a ui for them) but that is really the only
    >diffrence.

    Duh! Command line *IS* a UI. I guess you mean GUI?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 15, 2003