Re: popped a key

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jinxy, Aug 18, 2010.

  1. jinxy

    jinxy Guest

    On Aug 17, 9:33 pm, bpuharic <> wrote:
    > dog stepped on computer and popped off one of the keys. damn thing
    > won't re-seat. it's a toshiba.  any ideas? thanks much

    There are 2 or 4 tiny molded hooks on the underside of the key that
    has popped off. These should snap down onto the white square that
    encircles the soft rubber button. If the white square or the small
    hooks are broken, then the key won't stay on. Try the crazy glue
    solution, or the E-Bay a new keyboard. I just replaced a Toshiba
    keyboard for $15.00 cdn.
    -J

    jinxy, Aug 18, 2010

  2. jinxy

    den Guest

    shoegoop, or automotive contact adhesive, and sealant works great for
    this. It is a tough rubber cement.

    den, Aug 18, 2010

  3. jinxy

    - Bobb - Guest

    "bpuharic" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:06:07 -0700 (PDT), den <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>shoegoop, or automotive contact adhesive, and sealant works great for
    >>this. It is a tough rubber cement.

    > much obliged to both...wasnt sure if glue would affect keyboard...
    > will try

    Just saw this - if still an issue:

    search on Google: for laptop key removal etc :
    http://www.laptopkeys.co.uk/replaceKey.html
    http://rashbre2.blogspot.com/2007/11/repair-thinkpads-missing-key.html

    Big picture:
    "Looking from the side of the keyboard", make an X with the plastic clip
    ( the A frame thing) and push down. THAT piece snaps onto the base of the
    keyboard. Now line up the keycap and push down - a bit hard - and the
    keycap squeezes onto 'that plastic clip' . The plunger under the key
    pushes it back up and the A frame guides it when depressed
    If you need any glue make it a TINY amount to hold the 2 pieces together -
    let it dry before attaching the top piece.
    Good Luck.

    - Bobb -, Aug 19, 2010