Re: Poor color in Windows Media PLayer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, May 10, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > This is a question from a friend who wanted me to try and find some
    > answers for him: I've seen the color on his system when playing a video
    > and it's very poor. Reds look more like maroon. I suggested it might be
    > his video card, but he's also wondering if it could be anything else.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > ----------------------------------------------
    >
    > Recently, within the last month I have been getting poor color when
    > watching any AVI attachments in email I receive, or any AVI files I have
    > downloaded on my computer when viewing them on Microsoft Media Player (a
    > program I never had any problems with in the past). I downloaded the
    > Newer Microsoft Media Player 11, and I am still getting poor color. I
    > have burned these same files to a DVD disk and they play fine on my DVD
    > player when viewed on the TV. If I viewed these same files on my
    > computer using DivX Player 7.1.0 the color is good, but the standard
    > display is quite small on my screen. If I enlarge the picture, the
    > motion becomes very choppy. I would much rather use MS media player as I
    > have in the past.
    >
    >
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro Version 2002 with service pack 3.
    >
    > My processor is a Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz with 2 GB of RAM
    >
    > I have plenty of space on the hard drives.


    What about pictures? do you have the same problem with them? If so, the
    odds are that it's the monitor. There *may* be a degauss setting on the
    monitor. Either read the manual or look for a horshoe magnet with a
    lightning bolt through it. If that doesn't to it, the monitor is dying. If
    pictures are fine, then WMP is corrupted and you need to :1.uninstall it.
    2. reboot 3. reinstall it 4. reboot again.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, May 10, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 10 May 2009 16:49:09 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >What about pictures? do you have the same problem with them?


    Wow. EVERYTIHNG would be off color. Not just pictures, but EVERYTHING.

    >If so, the odds are that it's the monitor.


    Gee, I think that's the first time you've ever said "odds are".
    Normally, you're 100% confident your idea is 100% correct.

    >There *may* be a degauss setting on the monitor. Either read the manual or look for a horshoe magnet with a
    >lightning bolt through it.


    LOL.. The one's I've seen are just a horseshoe.

    >If that doesn't to it, the monitor is dying.


    Oh. Sorry, I should have known. No if's and's, or buts.

    > If pictures are fine, then WMP is corrupted and you need to :1.uninstall it.
    >2. reboot 3. reinstall it 4. reboot again.


    You and RtS ARE related.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, May 10, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. chuckcar

    VanguardLH Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > :
    >
    >> This is a question from a friend who wanted me to try and find some
    >> answers for him: I've seen the color on his system when playing a
    >> video and it's very poor. Reds look more like maroon. I suggested
    >> it might be his video card, but he's also wondering if it could be
    >> anything else. Thanks.
    >>
    >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> Recently, within the last month I have been getting poor color when
    >> watching any AVI attachments in email I receive, or any AVI files I
    >> have downloaded on my computer when viewing them on Microsoft Media
    >> Player (a program I never had any problems with in the past). I
    >> downloaded the Newer Microsoft Media Player 11, and I am still
    >> getting poor color. I have burned these same files to a DVD disk and
    >> they play fine on my DVD player when viewed on the TV. If I viewed
    >> these same files on my computer using DivX Player 7.1.0 the color is
    >> good, but the standard display is quite small on my screen. If I
    >> enlarge the picture, the motion becomes very choppy. I would much
    >> rather use MS media player as I have in the past.
    >>
    >> I have Windows XP Pro Version 2002 with service pack 3.
    >> My processor is a Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz with 2 GB of RAM
    >> I have plenty of space on the hard drives.

    >
    > What about pictures? do you have the same problem with them? If so,
    > the odds are that it's the monitor. There *may* be a degauss setting
    > on the monitor. Either read the manual or look for a horshoe magnet
    > with a lightning bolt through it. If that doesn't to it, the monitor
    > is dying. If pictures are fine, then WMP is corrupted and you need to
    > :1.uninstall it. 2. reboot 3. reinstall it 4. reboot again.


    To the OP:

    If you have an LCD monitor, remnant magnetic field distortions in a
    shadow mask is not the problem since there is no such mask. LCD
    monitors work by shuttering the light, not with electron beams exciting
    colored phosphors behind the apertures in the metallic mask. Even if
    using a CRT monitor, stray magnetic fields in the mask would exhibit
    display defects in ALL applications, including the OS, and not in just
    one application. You said the video looks good in other players and
    reported no defects in display other than within just the one WMP
    application so it is not a problem with the monitor.
     
    VanguardLH, May 10, 2009
    #3
  4. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:gu7bd8$ktv$:
    > To the OP:


    So post to him.


    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, May 10, 2009
    #4
  5. chuckcar

    VanguardLH Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > VanguardLH <> wrote in news:gu7bd8$ktv$:
    >> To the OP:

    >
    > So post to him.


    I was warning the OP against *your* "advice".
     
    VanguardLH, May 11, 2009
    #5
  6. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:gu7r9r$m7e$:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH <> wrote in
    >> news:gu7bd8$ktv$:
    >>> To the OP:

    >>
    >> So post to him.

    >
    > I was warning the OP against *your* "advice".


    Nullshit, and not necessary, despite what some idiots here think. The
    problem *is* people who can't live with being wrong when they accuse other
    people of the same. Besides, I specifically *asked* if pictures displayed
    correctly. the problem *does* happen with other applications for movies as
    the OP specifically stated, contradicting your point.


    Understand, *your* points about the LCD were valid - *if* the OP even has one.
    Worry about your own suggestion alone, and there won't be any problem between
    those few of us remaining who actually *help* people.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, May 11, 2009
    #6
  7. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 10 May 2009 19:25:52 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >I was warning the OP against *your* "advice".


    Nothing gets by chucktard...
    HEY! Wait! His new name is CtS - Chuckcar the St00pid, brother of
    richard.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, May 11, 2009
    #7
  8. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 May 2009 00:47:34 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:
    >Nullshit, and not necessary, despite what some idiots here think.


    You're among the few idiots here.

    >The problem *is* people who can't live with being wrong when they accuse other
    >people of the same.


    Wow. You've described yourself to a T. When have YOU admitted you're
    wrong? Never.

    >Besides, I specifically *asked* if pictures displayed correctly.


    And?

    >the problem *does* happen with other applications for movies as
    >the OP specifically stated, contradicting your point.


    No, the OP didn't.

    >Understand, *your* points about the LCD were valid - *if* the OP even has one.
    >Worry about your own suggestion alone, and there won't be any problem between
    >those few of us remaining who actually *help* people.


    You don't help people. Your advice is, for the most part, wrong.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, May 11, 2009
    #8
  9. chuckcar

    G. Morgan Guest

    chucktardo wrote:

    >Nullshit, and not necessary, despite what some idiots here think. The
    >problem *is* people who can't live with being wrong when they accuse other
    >people of the same.


    Wait for it.....

    Here it comes....

    <snip>


    >Worry about your own suggestion alone, and there won't be any problem between
    >those few of us remaining who actually *help* people.


    Here it is...

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
    G. Morgan, May 11, 2009
    #9
  10. chuckcar

    VanguardLH Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > VanguardLH <> wrote in news:gu7r9r$m7e$:
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> VanguardLH <> wrote in
    >>> news:gu7bd8$ktv$:
    >>>> To the OP:
    >>>
    >>> So post to him.

    >>
    >> I was warning the OP against *your* "advice".

    >
    > Nullshit, and not necessary, despite what some idiots here think. The
    > problem *is* people who can't live with being wrong when they accuse other
    > people of the same. Besides, I specifically *asked* if pictures displayed
    > correctly. the problem *does* happen with other applications for movies as
    > the OP specifically stated, contradicting your point.


    When did WMP become applicationS (plural)? That's the only application
    the OP has reported som problem with color (but wasn't specific to the
    problem other than to note colors are darker than expected by saying red
    looked like maroon). So far, the OP has mentioned only 1 - that's ONE -
    application with which there is a color problem and that was WMP. The
    OP specifically said colors were GOOD in a DivX video player, plus there
    was no mention of color problems in the OS itself for its GUI.

    Please show which statements were made by the OP that indicated more
    than one application (WMP) had a color problem.
     
    VanguardLH, May 11, 2009
    #10
  11. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:16:48 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    <> wrote:

    >He can't. Now watch him backpedal.


    No, he can't. And he's stopped backpedalling, and often just
    dissapears from a thread, much like richard is now doing when he's
    proved wrong.

    I swear, they're related.

    I dub him chuckcar the st00pid.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, May 11, 2009
    #11
  12. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:gu8rit$gm3$:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH <> wrote in
    >> news:gu7r9r$m7e$:
    >>
    >>> chuckcar wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> VanguardLH <> wrote in
    >>>> news:gu7bd8$ktv$:
    >>>>> To the OP:
    >>>>
    >>>> So post to him.
    >>>
    >>> I was warning the OP against *your* "advice".

    >>
    >> Nullshit, and not necessary, despite what some idiots here think. The
    >> problem *is* people who can't live with being wrong when they accuse
    >> other people of the same. Besides, I specifically *asked* if pictures
    >> displayed correctly. the problem *does* happen with other applications
    >> for movies as the OP specifically stated, contradicting your point.

    >
    > When did WMP become applicationS (plural)? That's the only application
    > the OP has reported som problem with color (but wasn't specific to the
    > problem other than to note colors are darker than expected by saying red
    > looked like maroon). So far, the OP has mentioned only 1 - that's ONE -
    > application with which there is a color problem and that was WMP. The
    > OP specifically said colors were GOOD in a DivX video player, plus there
    > was no mention of color problems in the OS itself for its GUI.
    >
    > Please show which statements were made by the OP that indicated more
    > than one application (WMP) had a color problem.



    You didn't even read the OP did you?

    Quoted verbatim below:


    Recently, within the last month I have been getting poor color when
    watching any AVI attachments in email I receive, or any AVI files I have
    downloaded on my computer when viewing them on Microsoft Media Player (a
    program I never had any problems with in the past). I downloaded the Newer
    Microsoft Media Player 11, and I am still getting poor color. I have
    burned these same files to a DVD disk and they play fine on my DVD player
    when viewed on the TV. If I viewed these same files on my computer using
    DivX Player 7.1.0 the color is good, but the standard display is quite
    small on my screen. If I enlarge the picture, the motion becomes very
    choppy. I would much rather use MS media player as I have in the past.

    If you *still* missed it "Divx Player 7.1.0" was the other one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, May 11, 2009
    #12
  13. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 May 2009 11:43:44 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    <> wrote:

    >In which application the OP stated the color was GOOD...
    >So where's the other one?


    Chucktard the St00pid has the reading comprehension ability of a 4
    year old donkey.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, May 11, 2009
    #13
  14. chuckcar

    VanguardLH Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ... the problem *does* happen with other applications for movies as
    >>> the OP specifically stated, contradicting your point.

    >>
    >> The OP specifically said colors were GOOD in a DivX video player,
    >> plus there was no mention of color problems in the OS itself for its
    >> GUI.

    >
    > You didn't even read the OP did you?
    >
    > "... If I viewed these same files on my computer using
    > DivX Player 7.1.0 the color is good, ..."
    >
    > If you *still* missed it "Divx Player 7.1.0" was the other one.


    Oh, good means bad, uh huh, right. You're wrong again.
    When that alarm goes off, you're supposed to take your meds.
     
    VanguardLH, May 11, 2009
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?=

    Poor reception, poor connection, and dropped signal

    =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?=, Jun 7, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,990
    Doug Sherman [MVP]
    Jun 7, 2006
  2. richard

    Re: Poor color in Windows Media PLayer

    richard, May 10, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    405
    VanguardLH
    May 10, 2009
  3. VanguardLH

    Re: Poor color in Windows Media PLayer

    VanguardLH, May 10, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    619
  4. Jordon

    Re: Poor color in Windows Media PLayer

    Jordon, May 11, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    457
    Jordon
    May 11, 2009
  5. Rich

    Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late...

    Rich, May 13, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    66
    Views:
    1,985
    Bob Larter
    Jun 11, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page