Re: Polycom Soundpoint 500 and Peer-toPeer???

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by SPD, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. SPD

    SPD Guest

    Dear Aaron:

    In my experience the 500 out-of-the-box speaks H.323. I haven't
    worked with the H.323 software on these phones. Instead I got
    our Polycom rep to provide the SIP firmware. Just place the
    firmware on a tftp server (I think ftp is supported too), edit the
    config file for the phone then download it. You should be on your
    way after that.

    -Steve

    SPD, Jun 23, 2003

  2. SPD

    Isaac Guest

    We're talking about the IP-500 not the IP-600 right? I thought only the
    600 and up supported sip. I could not find any link on the site to
    download a sip image for the 500's.

    Isaac, Jun 23, 2004

  3. SPD

    -=-peas-=- Guest

    > > Aaron McCall wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a client who has purchased two of the above phones. He was
    > >> under the impression that he could throw these phones on a LAN give
    > >> them an IP address and he would be able to communicate between the
    > >> two. Unfortunately that's not the case. These phones do not come with
    > >> any software (application) to run them. Third party software/hardware
    > >> is required to get these phones working. So I guess my question is,
    > >> what would be the easiest way to get these phones to communicate to
    > >> each other? I need something simple and cost effective. The client
    > >> wants nothing more then to have these two phones communicating to each
    > >> other.

    AFAIK there are two images for these phones, one supports SIP and the other
    supports H.323. Again AFAIK there is no such thing as peer-to-peer in SIP,
    you need to go through a SIP registry. You best bet is to see whether the
    phones will take a H.323 image which would therefore allow peer-to-peer
    (point to point) calls.

    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Aaron.

    -=-peas-=-