Re: Poll: What will your next graphics card upgrade be?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Puddle" typed:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6jgcdg
    >>
    >> On this poll the ATI 4870 is way out in front, followed by the 4850.
    >>

    > I have always used Nvidia cards but am steering clear of them now due
    > to them sabotaging full screen video output on a tv... ATI calls it
    > theatre mode, lets you show a movie in full screen on the tv while
    > minimizing it on the PC, great for media pc's etc. Nvidia no longer
    > support it since their 8xxx cards and have now even turned it off in
    > new drivers for old cards that did support it.
    >
    > Things like that really annoy me!

    I didn't know that, thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Puddle" typed:
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/6jgcdg
    >>>
    >>> On this poll the ATI 4870 is way out in front, followed by the 4850.
    >>>

    >> I have always used Nvidia cards but am steering clear of them now due
    >> to them sabotaging full screen video output on a tv... ATI calls it
    >> theatre mode, lets you show a movie in full screen on the tv while
    >> minimizing it on the PC, great for media pc's etc. Nvidia no longer
    >> support it since their 8xxx cards and have now even turned it off in
    >> new drivers for old cards that did support it.
    >>
    >> Things like that really annoy me!

    > I didn't know that, thanks.

    I have always had tearing issues when playing videos with clone mode in
    the past so just fullscreen the player on the other screen. In my case
    its 2 monitors, not a TV output and a monitor but same theory.
    Richard, Jul 16, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Puddle" typed:

    >>> I have always used Nvidia cards but am steering clear of them now
    >>> due to them sabotaging full screen video output on a tv... ATI
    >>> calls it theatre mode, lets you show a movie in full screen on the
    >>> tv while minimizing it on the PC, great for media pc's etc. Nvidia
    >>> no longer support it since their 8xxx cards and have now even
    >>> turned it off in new drivers for old cards that did support it.
    >>>
    >>> Things like that really annoy me!

    >> I didn't know that, thanks.

    > I have always had tearing issues when playing videos with clone mode
    > in the past so just fullscreen the player on the other screen. In my
    > case its 2 monitors, not a TV output and a monitor but same theory.

    I was just interested as I use a dedicated PC running a software decoder to
    watch certain sports shows on my TV.

    Only about 16 a year though. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.