    allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
    components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
    -Bill Schwenke

    The Demolition Man, Jun 24, 2003

  2. The Demolition Man

    Shamus Guest

    "The Demolition Man" <> wrote in message
    > Shamus () previously said the following crap:
    > > Original Fullscreen!
    > > Old Man Grump

    > Uhhh... the "Fullscreen" is missing 33% of the picture. Therefore,
    > it is not the "original" as you put it.
    >
    > --
    > The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
    > A reminder to the world....
    > "Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
    > allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
    > components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
    > -Bill Schwenke

    Well OK but! My body may be in the 21st century but my memory is 1950
    when I bought my first TV. If I watch one of today's movies [so-called
    Widescreen] on my 10 year old 27 inch TV, 33% is not missing it's
    wasted. That's the black spaces on the top and bottom. If I purchased a
    new 27 X 81 inch TV for $10,000 maybe I could agree with your point.
    Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
    obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all. Ah progress thy
    name is [$] greed? Case in point, with the introduction of color we
    could still use our B&W TV and update or not at our discretion and not
    because our Uncle Sam & [Big Business] ordained it.

    Old Man Grump & Old lady Grump too.

    Shamus, Jun 24, 2003

  3. The Demolition Man

    Richard C. Guest

    "Shamus" <> wrote in message

    : Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
    : obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all

    =====================
    The ones being marketed today ARE digital.
    They will not be obsolete.
    ==========================

    Richard C., Jun 24, 2003
  4. The Demolition Man

    Shamus Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message

    > "Shamus" <> wrote in message
    >
    > : Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
    > : obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all
    >
    > =====================
    > The ones being marketed today ARE digital.
    > They will not be obsolete.
    > ==========================

    I think we are talking of two different things. Digital TV and the
    transmission of a Digital TV signal. Analog RF TV signals are about to
    disappear! The following is an excerpt from the FCC.

    http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/dtv/

    <snip> During this transition period, consumers who wish to simply
    continue receiving only analog TV service will be able to do so.
    Consumers will be able indefinitely to get service out of their existing
    television sets, but will not be able to see the DTV broadcasts without
    a special converter. In order to receive DTV you will have the option of
    purchasing a converter, which can be used with your existing television.
    You also will have the option of purchasing a digital TV, which will be
    expensive at first (just as color televisions were very expensive when
    they were first introduced), but which are expected to become more
    affordable when DTV is widely available.

    Excerpt from England:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/
    <snip>
    Will I have to replace my existing TV?
    No. The digital TV adapter just plugs into the back of your existing TV
    and converts your digital signals into analogue. If you want to, you can
    buy an iDTV (integrated digital TV) which can also receive Freeview. For
    more information on aerials and reception click here.

    Shamus, Jun 24, 2003
  5. The Demolition Man

    Richard C. Guest

    "Shamus" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    : news:3ef85bbf$0$25774$...
    : >
    : > "Shamus" <> wrote in message
    : > news:eek:HPJa.18662$...
    : >
    : > =====================
    : > The ones being marketed today ARE digital.
    : > They will not be obsolete.
    : > ==========================
    : >
    :
[...]
    ================
    So you are talking UK.
    In the US, all current digital 16:9 sets will not be obsolete.

    Richard C., Jun 25, 2003
  6. The Demolition Man

    Richard C. Guest

    "Shamus" <> wrote in message
    : >So you are talking UK.
    :
    : I don't know what is going on in the UK except for the info on the URL's
    : I previously listed. Apparently they are broadcasting in DTV now. I
    : would assume it is preliminary or experimental as in the USA. I only
    : know what I read on the Internet " Mark Twain" updated to 21st century.
    :
    : >In the US, all current digital 16:9 sets will not be obsolete.
    :
    : Yes and no! EXISTING TV's are NOT capable of receiving the new digital
    : signal! They are only one part of the new system, but as I assume you
    : are on cable or satellite your provider will eventually give you (?) a
    : new cable box which will do the conversion for you so you can use your
    : old digital 16:9 MONITOR.

    ===========================
    I already have a DirecTV and OTA HD receiver.
    ============================

    : But how much has been left out of public
    : information? VCR's and DVD players with RF analog outputs are obsolete
    : too? Will video input (analog information) from an old VCR to new system
    : work?

    =======================
    It works just fine.
    ========================

    : I dunknow?

    ==================
    I DO know. I have HD reception and an HD 16:9 set and a VHS and S-VHS work just fine
    with it.
    ====================

    : If you are really interested I suggest the following as
    : a good starting place. If not, just wait a couple of years and you'll
    : find out all about it.
    :

    ====================
    I do not need to "find out all about it". I HAVE it and am watching HD today.
    It exists now.....................

    Richard C., Jun 26, 2003
  7. The Demolition Man

    Shamus Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > ===========================
    > I already have a DirecTV and OTA HD receiver.
    > ============================

    I readily and most humbly admit that I do not know what the above means
    and therefore bow to your knowledge of the subject.
    <snip>
    > ====================
    > I do not need to "find out all about it". I HAVE it and am watching

    HD today.
    > It exists now....................

    I do appreciate your correcting me and taking the time to explain that
    you at this moment have a DVD television capable of receiving digital
    signals and are at the moment watching HD. Based upon your statements I
    admit I was wrong and apologize for posting erroneous information to
    this newsgroup over the past couple of days.

    Thank you, Shamus

    Shamus, Jun 26, 2003
  8. Shamus () previously said the following crap:
    > Well OK but! My body may be in the 21st century but my memory is 1950
    > when I bought my first TV.

    Then its time to start learning to enjoy the technology of TODAY!
    Do you still listen to Edison records?

    > If I watch one of today's movies [so-called
    > Widescreen] on my 10 year old 27 inch TV, 33% is not missing it's
    > wasted.

    And in exchance you are seeing the film in its entirety. Besides, I own
    a 27 inch TV. If you don't like the fact that the DVD is in Widescreen
    then go buy it on VHS or watch it on TV. There... it fills your screen.
    Happy now? GOOD! Now get your paws off of DVD which is meant
    to be a OAR format. Period.

    > That's the black spaces on the top and bottom.

    I never notice them.

    > If I purchased
    > a new 27 X 81 inch TV for $10,000 maybe I could agree with your point.

    You can easily get a decent 53 inch HDTV Widescreen set these days for
    around $2,000.

    > Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
    > obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all.

    I'd like to know who misinformed you so I can smack both you and
    that person upside the head several times.

    1) The deadline for "digital TV" is 2006 and that is only for stations to
    be broadcasting a digital signal. Analog is NOT affected despite what some
    people (would want you to) believe.

    2) The HDTV format that is in place is designed for Widescreen in mind.

    > Ah progress thy
    > name is [$] greed? Case in point, with the introduction of color we
    > could still use our B&W TV and update or not at our discretion and not
    > because our Uncle Sam & [Big Business] ordained it.

    But eventually you bought a color TV did you not?

    > Old Man Grump & Old lady Grump too.

    You are indeed a Grumpy person who obviously is very clueless.

    The Demolition Man, Jun 27, 2003
  9. The Demolition Man

    > Shamus () previously said the following crap:
    > > Well OK but! My body may be in the 21st century but my memory is

    1950
    > > when I bought my first TV.

    > Then its time to start learning to enjoy the technology of TODAY!
    > Do you still listen to Edison records?
    >
    > > If I watch one of today's movies [so-called
    > > Widescreen] on my 10 year old 27 inch TV, 33% is not missing it's
    > > wasted.

    > And in exchance you are seeing the film in its entirety. Besides, I

    own
    > a 27 inch TV. If you don't like the fact that the DVD is in Widescreen
    > then go buy it on VHS or watch it on TV. There... it fills your

    screen.
    > Happy now? GOOD! Now get your paws off of DVD which is meant
    > to be a OAR format. Period.
    >
    > > That's the black spaces on the top and bottom.

    > I never notice them.
    >
    > > If I purchased
    > > a new 27 X 81 inch TV for $10,000 maybe I could agree with your

    point.

    > You can easily get a decent 53 inch HDTV Widescreen set these days for
    > around $2,000.
    >
    > > Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
    > > obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all.

    > I'd like to know who misinformed you so I can smack both you and
    > that person upside the head several times.
    >
    > 1) The deadline for "digital TV" is 2006 and that is only for stations

    > be broadcasting a digital signal. Analog is NOT affected despite what

    some
    > people (would want you to) believe.
    >
    > 2) The HDTV format that is in place is designed for Widescreen in

    mind.

    > > Ah progress thy
    > > name is [$] greed? Case in point, with the introduction of color we
    > > could still use our B&W TV and update or not at our discretion and

    not
    > > because our Uncle Sam & [Big Business] ordained it.

    > But eventually you bought a color TV did you not?
    >
    > > Old Man Grump & Old lady Grump too.

    > You are indeed a Grumpy person who obviously is very clueless.
    >
    > --
    > The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
    > A reminder to the world....
    > "Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
    > allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
    > components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
    > -Bill Schwenke

    Yes without dispute you are obviously correct however being very, very
    old I struggle to understand your repartee. But I must agree with
    someone of your obvious intellect. I would in all sincerity appreciate
    an explanation of your post, in layman terms please, so and old geezer
    like myself could understand what you are saying. Single syllables
    please. What are HDTV and DVD? I am willing to be educated please teach
    me! Oh, by the way how did you know I listen to Edison recordings? Have
    you visited my museum of recording antiquity? I stopped at this Usenet
    to learn and I am so grateful that you will learn me. By the way my
    great, great grand daughter is typing this for me and trying her best to
    explain what you are typing.
    --
    Shamus

    " Yea, thought I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of death, I shall
    fear no evil. For I am the most dangerous son of a bitch who ever set
    foot in this valley!"

    Shamus, Jun 27, 2003
  10. Shamus () previously said the following crap:
    > Yes without dispute you are obviously correct however being very, very
    > old I struggle to understand your repartee.

    Sorry bout the confusion. :(

    > But I must agree with
    > someone of your obvious intellect.

    Now your scaring me. ;)

    > I would in all sincerity appreciate
    > an explanation of your post, in layman terms please, so and old geezer
    > like myself could understand what you are saying.

    I'll do my best.

    > Single syllables
    > please.

    As I said... I'll do my best.

    > What are HDTV and DVD?

    HDTV = High Definition Television. Imagine a picture quality much
    higher than standard TV - and Widescreen format too. The vast
    majority of HDTV sets are Widescreen sets so they'll play Widescreen
    films wonderfully.

    DVD = Digital Versitile Disc, the disc format that is commonly used
    to play films.

    > I am willing to be educated please
    > teach me!

    Ask away.

    > Oh, by the way how did you know I listen to Edison
    > recordings?

    Lucky guess. Nothing against Edison records, they were amazing
    technology for their day. Someday when I'm old I'll look back and
    look in amazement of the technology that was around from my own
    younger days while the youth of that generation will be all drooling over
    whatever is the latest and greatest thing.

    > Have you visited my museum of recording antiquity?

    No.

    > stopped at this Usenet to learn and I am so grateful that you will
    > learn me.

    You mean teach, not learn.

    > By the way my great, great grand daughter is typing this
    > for me and trying her best to explain what you are typing.

    There is quite a bit of technical stuff, but its not too hard to understand
    when its all put in easy terms. Once you get past that then you'll thank
    yourself. Trust me... I thank myself everyday for knowing what I know
    about HDTV, Widescreen, and other stuff. :)

    The Demolition Man, Jun 28, 2003
  11. The Demolition Man

    Shamus Guest

    Thanks for your reply Bill I like you! And enjoyed the subtle levity. I
    was expecting either a continuance of all the previous BS or a
    termination of this thread. What got me was your statement:

    >Lucky guess. Nothing against Edison records, they were amazing
    >technology for their day. Someday when I'm old I'll look back and
    >look in amazement of the technology that was around from my own
    >younger days while the youth of that generation will be all drooling

    over
    >whatever is the latest and greatest thing.<

    YES! That is exactly the point. Forget all the gibberish that preceded
    your post, but most (as I recall) of the following is true. My first
    collection of audio recordings was the 78-RPM record. I am old enough to
    remember the introduction of LP records, and the 45-RPM record, I worked
    on 4 track audiocassettes known as [Quadraphonic Sound] and I also
    worked for a company that made one of the first home VCR's back when a
    blank tape cost $100. Sadly I lived through the demise of them all
    including Laserdisc and Beta VCR's. But that's progress, out with the
    old, in with the new. Around 1989 I purchased a Pioneer VSX -D1S
    Audio/Video Stereo System, with Pro Logic Surround Sound [5 channels
    plus a sub woofer] which I still have and use. There's more, but that
    should give you some idea of my age, and my understanding of technical
    stuff.

    My thread started when I posted a reply, with tongue in cheek, in which
    I said that I prefer Fullscreen. Blaspheme! But it is true. In my
    opinion, (I think I can have a contrary opinion), my wife, and I enjoy
    watching a video in 4x3 aspect ratio. And we have for umpteen years
    watched movies that way. Viewing a Widescreen picture on my 27 inch
    Mitsubishi [16 inches vertically] results in a pix with a vertical
    height of about 9 to 12 inches. Kindah small when viewed from 12 feet
    away. And forget about reading any text.

    I have a DVD player (all regions and macrovision cracked) that we rarely
    use, preferring VHS tapes. Without question the DVD wins over VHS but to
    be brief lets just say for now I'll stick to the old fashioned tapes
    with an occasional DVD.

    And at last I get to the thread. I know, I need a new Widescreen TV,
    however, I do not want to buy any of today's TV's simply because they
    require an additional box to receive Digital television (DTV) which is
    still in the future. Yes a converter box is available now ($500 - $1000)
    extra but what (DTV broadcast) will I watch? And, as it is in its
    infancy, what will the final product have in features, which are not
    available today? So, why spend the money? For now I'll live with
    Widescreen on my old TV and Fullscreen rental VHS videos with maybe a
    DVD on occasion. I don't have any problem with that and I accept that it
    puts me in the minority especially on this Usenet.
    --
    Shamus
    Stomp on me

    Shamus, Jun 28, 2003