Re: Pogue leaving NYT for ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bowser
    <> wrote:

    > >At least he isn't John Dvorak in another suit.

    > Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dvorak was one of the
    > worst tech writers in history. My two favorite predictions of his:
    >
    > On line shopping will never succeed.
    > The graphical user interface is DOA (after he had a chance to use a
    > Mac in 1984.

    you didn't really believe that, did you?

    he writes to get people talking, and he succeeds.

    standard protocol for talk show hosts, why not journalists too?

    nospam, Oct 22, 2013

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013102212582984492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dvorak was one of the
    > >> worst tech writers in history. My two favorite predictions of his:
    > >>
    > >> On line shopping will never succeed.
    > >> The graphical user interface is DOA (after he had a chance to use a
    > >> Mac in 1984.

    > > you didn't really believe that, did you?
    > >
    > > he writes to get people talking, and he succeeds.
    > >
    > > standard protocol for talk show hosts, why not journalists too?

    > ...and yet he is consistently wrong.

    deliberately. it's his shtick.

    > He is also one of the greatest purveyors of anti-Apple F.U.D. all of
    > which has been proven to be wrong.

    see above.

    nospam, Oct 22, 2013

  3. nospam

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:02:37 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-10-22 14:43:35 -0700, nospam <> said:
    >
    >> In article <2013102212582984492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    >>> ...and yet he is consistently wrong.

    >> deliberately. it's his shtick.

    >Well if he isn't serious enough about his alleged craft to give us no
    >more than a "schtick", then there is no reason to take him seriously in
    >any way. He wears his damaged credibility like a crown.
    >
    >>> He is also one of the greatest purveyors of anti-Apple F.U.D. all of
    >>> which has been proven to be wrong.

    >> see above.

    >He isn't even correct twice a day like the proverbial stopped clock.
    >Dvorak has written nothing I particularly want to read.

    How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 23, 2013
  4. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

    dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

    nospam, Oct 23, 2013
  5. nospam

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tonycooper214
    @gmail.com says...

    > On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:02:37 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On 2013-10-22 14:43:35 -0700, nospam <> said:

    > >> deliberately. it's his shtick.

    > >Well if he isn't serious enough about his alleged craft to give us no
    > >more than a "schtick", then there is no reason to take him seriously in
    > >any way. He wears his damaged credibility like a crown.

    > >> see above.

    > >He isn't even correct twice a day like the proverbial stopped clock.
    > >Dvorak has written nothing I particularly want to read.

    > How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

    He makes Ken Rockwell look like Edward R. Murrow.

    J. Clarke, Oct 23, 2013
  6. nospam

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:43:04 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-10-22 20:33:01 -0700, nospam <> said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Tony Cooper
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

    >> dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

    >...and Dvorak isn't?
    >
    >He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
    >disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
    >corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
    >nothing he writes is trustworthy.

    But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 23, 2013
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013102220430422503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

    > > dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

    > ...and Dvorak isn't?

    not even remotely close.

    dvorak does not make up shit because he thinks he is really a practical
    joker or that his blog is really the onion. he doesn't make up stories
    about nikon using whale penises in their cameras. he just writes
    provocative columns designed to push people's buttons, and it obviously
    works.

    > He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
    > disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
    > corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
    > nothing he writes is trustworthy.

    like many journalists, then.

    nospam, Oct 23, 2013
  8. nospam

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2013102220430422503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2013-10-22 20:33:01 -0700, nospam <> said:
    >
    > > In article <>, Tony Cooper
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

    > > dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

    > ...and Dvorak isn't?
    >
    > He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
    > disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
    > corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
    > nothing he writes is trustworthy.

    And he's _stupid_. I realized that when he was talking about this
    incredible new invention, the "Chang modification" that made any
    computer run ten times as fast. I knew from his description that all it
    did was diddle the realtime clock so that the benchmarks reported a
    false result, but he was too _stupid_ to see that until it came out
    later that that was the case.

    J. Clarke, Oct 23, 2013
  9. nospam

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tonycooper214
    @gmail.com says...

    > On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:43:04 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On 2013-10-22 20:33:01 -0700, nospam <> said:

    > >> dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

    > >...and Dvorak isn't?
    > >
    > >He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
    > >disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
    > >corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
    > >nothing he writes is trustworthy.

    > But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.

    Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
    Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

    J. Clarke, Oct 23, 2013
  10. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, J. Clarke
    <> wrote:

    > > But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.

    > Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
    > Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

    and that keyboard offers no benefit.

    nospam, Oct 23, 2013
  11. nospam

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 01:14:55 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, J. Clarke
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> > But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.

    >> Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
    >> Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

    >and that keyboard offers no benefit.

    Mine offers the benefit of a shift key so that I don't look like a
    complete ignoramus typing in all lower case.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 23, 2013
  12. nospam

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > >> Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
    > >> Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

    > >and that keyboard offers no benefit.

    > Mine offers the benefit of a shift key so that I don't look like a
    > complete ignoramus typing in all lower case.

    nospam offers and opinion, Tony decides that this is cause enough to
    offer an ad hominem.

    And then he really whines about being called a troll? Weird.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 23, 2013
  13. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > > >and that keyboard offers no benefit.

    > > Mine offers the benefit of a shift key so that I don't look like a
    > > complete ignoramus typing in all lower case.

    > nospam offers and opinion,

    it's not an opinion.

    objective tests show dvorak and qwerty keyboards to not have any
    significant difference in typing speeds.

    > Tony decides that this is cause enough to
    > offer an ad hominem.

    it's all he does.

    nospam, Oct 23, 2013
  14. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/23/2013 1:38 AM, Sandman wrote:

    >>> and that keyboard offers no benefit.

    >> Mine offers the benefit of a shift key so that I don't look like a
    >> complete ignoramus typing in all lower case.

    > nospam offers and opinion, Tony decides that this is cause enough to
    > offer an ad hominem.
    >
    > And then he really whines about being called a troll? Weird.

    Once again the Scandinavian. The troll pops in and contributes nothing
    but venom.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 23, 2013
  15. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/23/2013 1:14 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, J. Clarke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.

    >> Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
    >> Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

    > and that keyboard offers no benefit.

    References please.
    Or, does it depend on what end product you are producing. A novel writer
    will produce something different than a code writer.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 23, 2013
  16. nospam

    Sandman Guest

    On 2013-10-23 14:17, PeterN wrote:

    > > nospam offers and opinion, Tony decides that this is cause enough to
    > > offer an ad hominem.
    > >
    > > And then he really whines about being called a troll? Weird.

    > Once again the Scandinavian. The troll pops in and contributes nothing
    > but venom.

    Projection, the trolls last resort. Also - call a normal observation
    "venom". Haha!

    How's that "improving your photography" coming along, Peter? Seems
    you're too busy following me around and posting your normal trolling
    routine.

    You're really working hard to be a bigger troll than both Eric and Tony.
    You're nearly there!

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 23, 2013
  17. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/23/2013 8:21 AM, Sandman wrote:
    > On 2013-10-23 14:17, PeterN wrote:
    >
    >> > nospam offers and opinion, Tony decides that this is cause enough to
    >> > offer an ad hominem.
    >> >
    >> > And then he really whines about being called a troll? Weird.

    >> Once again the Scandinavian. The troll pops in and contributes nothing
    >> but venom.

    > Projection, the trolls last resort. Also - call a normal observation
    > "venom". Haha!
    >
    > How's that "improving your photography" coming along, Peter? Seems
    > you're too busy following me around and posting your normal trolling
    > routine.
    >
    > You're really working hard to be a bigger troll than both Eric and Tony.
    > You're nearly there!

    Proof!
    Your only contribution to this discussion was a comment only intended to
    inflame.
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 23, 2013
  18. nospam

    Sandman Guest

    On 2013-10-23 14:31, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Once again the Scandinavian. The troll pops in and contributes nothing
    >>> but venom.

    >> Projection, the trolls last resort. Also - call a normal observation
    >> "venom". Haha!
    >>
    >> How's that "improving your photography" coming along, Peter? Seems
    >> you're too busy following me around and posting your normal trolling
    >> routine.
    >>
    >> You're really working hard to be a bigger troll than both Eric and Tony.
    >> You're nearly there!

    > Proof!
    > Your only contribution to this discussion was a comment only intended to
    > inflame.

    This is different from your contribution to the thread, how? Is this how
    you improve your photography?

    Tony tries to tell us that he isn't a troll and whines a lot when his
    actions show him to be one. I am doing him the courtesy of letting him
    know just what actions of his that earns him that moniker. You will
    notice how I compared his trolling action against the non-trolling
    action from nospam to whom he was replying. That is a claim from me and
    substantiation.

    You, on the other hand, join threads only to add ad hominems as much as
    possible. You never substantiate and never have any point to this. Your
    posts are mostly incoherent and lack an actual point.

    Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to jump in and point out that I am
    calling Tony a troll when you didn't jump in when Tony called nospam an
    "ignoramus" - a post he clearly did out of the blu with the only
    intention to personally insult nospam.

    Now scurry along and ignore reality like you always do, Peter.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 23, 2013
  19. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/23/2013 8:46 AM, Sandman wrote:

    >>> Projection, the trolls last resort. Also - call a normal observation
    >>> "venom". Haha!
    >>>
    >>> How's that "improving your photography" coming along, Peter? Seems
    >>> you're too busy following me around and posting your normal trolling
    >>> routine.
    >>>
    >>> You're really working hard to be a bigger troll than both Eric and Tony.
    >>> You're nearly there!

    >> Proof!
    >> Your only contribution to this discussion was a comment only intended to
    >> inflame.

    > This is different from your contribution to the thread, how? Is this how
    > you improve your photography?
    >
    > Tony tries to tell us that he isn't a troll and whines a lot when his
    > actions show him to be one. I am doing him the courtesy of letting him
    > know just what actions of his that earns him that moniker. You will
    > notice how I compared his trolling action against the non-trolling
    > action from nospam to whom he was replying. That is a claim from me and
    > substantiation.
    >
    > You, on the other hand, join threads only to add ad hominems as much as
    > possible. You never substantiate and never have any point to this. Your
    > posts are mostly incoherent and lack an actual point.
    >
    > Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to jump in and point out that I am
    > calling Tony a troll when you didn't jump in when Tony called nospam an
    > "ignoramus" - a post he clearly did out of the blu with the only
    > intention to personally insult nospam.
    >
    > Now scurry along and ignore reality like you always do, Peter.

    Yawn!

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 23, 2013
  20. nospam

    Sandman Guest

    On 2013-10-23 14:56, PeterN wrote:

    >> This is different from your contribution to the thread, how? Is this how
    >> you improve your photography?
    >>
    >> Tony tries to tell us that he isn't a troll and whines a lot when his
    >> actions show him to be one. I am doing him the courtesy of letting him
    >> know just what actions of his that earns him that moniker. You will
    >> notice how I compared his trolling action against the non-trolling
    >> action from nospam to whom he was replying. That is a claim from me and
    >> substantiation.
    >>
    >> You, on the other hand, join threads only to add ad hominems as much as
    >> possible. You never substantiate and never have any point to this. Your
    >> posts are mostly incoherent and lack an actual point.
    >>
    >> Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to jump in and point out that I am
    >> calling Tony a troll when you didn't jump in when Tony called nospam an
    >> "ignoramus" - a post he clearly did out of the blu with the only
    >> intention to personally insult nospam.
    >>
    >> Now scurry along and ignore reality like you always do, Peter.

    > Yawn!

    Just as expected. Now run along little girl.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 23, 2013