Re: PNG Picture Frame image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Del Cotter, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Del Cotter

    Del Cotter Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, in rec.photo.digital,
    Brian Mathews <> said:
    >The Image that I have was dnloaded from the net but the Frame image 20
    >x15 CM is a PNG File, But why do I have to change it..?

    Your photo is a JPG file and your frame is a PNG file. The combined
    image can't be a PNG *and* a JPG, it has to be one or the other (or some
    other file format entirely).

    You could just print the photo and the frame on two pieces of paper, cut
    a hole in the frame and put your photo in it. But I would say you had
    converted your two images into "PAPER" format to combine them :)

    --
    Del Cotter
    Del Cotter, Apr 15, 2008

  2. Del Cotter

    Guest

    On Apr 15, 3:19 am, Del Cotter <> wrote:

    > You could just print the photo and the frame on two pieces of paper, cut
    > a hole in the frame and put your photo in it. But I would say you had
    > converted your two images into "PAPER" format to combine them :)

    You could avoid the cutting step by printing the frame on transparent
    film.

    Or you could use ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick to combine the two
    images. Use "convert -border WxH" to enlarge the photo to the same
    dimensions
    as the frame, then use "convert -flatten photo.jpg frame.png
    combined.jpg"
    to combine them. In the above, W is the number of pixels to add to
    each edge
    and H is the number of pixels to add to the top and to the bottom of
    the photo. Frame.png will be composed over the edges of the photo
    that you just added, and the original photo will show through the
    transparent part of frame.png. Then take "combined.jpg" and load it
    into your grandmother's digital photo frame.

    Glenn
    , Apr 16, 2008