Re: Please recommend a good free firewall alternative to Vista firewall (not Comodo)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    ftran999 wrote:

    > I have recently built a new PC with Vista 64bit Home Basic as my OS. When
    > the build was finished, the first thing I did was go online to find a free
    > firewall program for it. Comodo seemed to be the most recommended.
    > However, I decided I didn't like it because it's such a resource hog. It
    > was using in some cases over 50% of the CPU. So I uninstalled it and am
    > currently using the Windows Firewall built into Vista. However, I'm not too
    > confident in the security of WF. I have no idea what's been allowed into or
    > out of my PC. At least with Zone Alarm and Comodo there would be a pop-up
    > message asking if you wanted a certain program or application to access the
    > internet. This feature doesn't seem to exist in WF. Also the settings in
    > WF seem complicated to figure out.
    > So my question, like the header states is is there are good free firewall
    > for Vista 64bit? It's too bad ZA isn't supporting Vista 64. I would prefer
    > free but am also open to software at a cost as long as it's not a resource
    > hog and has good security features and the settings is easy to understand.

    As I recall, when you first install Comodo and if you permit, it goes
    scanning your host to compile a hash table of existing applications. If
    you run it in "Clean Mode", that means all currently installed apps are
    assumed clean but it has to go find them to eliminate prompting you
    about them later.

    Comodo isn't just a firewall. It also includes HIPS (host intrusion
    prevention system) and probably beyond your abilities or wants. Online
    from TallEmu is a 2nd runner (Comodo and OA tend to flip flip for 1st
    position in freeware firewalls). OA also includes HIPS but you can
    disable it in both products. I don't recall if OA comes in a 64-bit
    version. They'd know or you could ask in their forums.

    VanguardLH, Sep 30, 2008