Re: Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unk, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:33:21 -0000, " in vest a gator"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I wonder if anyone could take the time out to help me?
    >My system is in dire need of a full system format and re-install of Windows
    >XP yet I've made it rather difficult because I have 2x 80Gb Hard drives
    >running with various partitions and unfortunatly still a copy of Windows 98
    >running on my C drive as well as Win XP running on my D drive.
    >When i first added a second 80Gb hard drive i somehow managed to keep Win 98
    >on 'C' not through wanting to!
    >
    >I've enclosed a screen shot of my computer management screen to show exactly
    >where my partitions (and mistakes!) are and wondered if anyone could take me
    >through step by step (I've normally done it myself many times!) to
    >reformatting all the drives and reinstalling XP.
    >
    >My kids (and myself!) are waiting for thier P.C. back as its got to the
    >stage where its just not worth switching on sometimes!!
    >
    >Many thanks for any help given.
    >
    >Regards;
    >Mark.

    This is a plain text, non-binary, newsgroup. Please do not post binaries.
    It would be better to post a link to the image instead.

    As to your problem, If there's anything on the D drive you want to save,
    copy it to the C drive first. Now go back to Disk Management, right click
    each partition in the D drive and select "Delete Partition". When all the
    partitions are deleted, right-click the remaining primary partition and
    select "Format".
    After formatting, shutdown, remove the C drive and put it aside. Make the
    newly formatted D drive the C drive, and reboot to the Windows XP CD, and
    install XP. (During the installation, you can choose to reformat the drive
    again if you want, choosing FAT32, or NTFS)
    Once XP is installed, you can then add back the old C drive as the D drive
    and delete the partitions on it, format, etc., as stated above.

    Unk, Jan 7, 2004