Re: PLEASE Help->Start Up Difficulties (HWF)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Calvin Crumrine, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Kathleen Ruck and Gilles Gelinas wrote:
     > Argh!
     > I have recently been having trouble starting up my computer. For a
     > while it intermittently turned on and worked just fine...but now it
     > seems to have kicked the bucket. When I push the power button,
     > everything gets power, but the PC Speaker doesn’t beep, though it
    makes
     > a single ticking noise, and the monitor turns on, but goes into
    sleep
     > mode, and nothing further happens. This happened before, but now I
    fear
     > it is a permanent thing. I have replaced the power supply, to no
     > avail. Can anyone suggest what I might do to remedy the problem?
     >
     > Many Thanks.

    If it has a separate video card try removing it & replacing it. This
    reseats the card in case it’s come loose. It doesn’t need to be
    noticeably loose to cause these symptoms-just a little bit loose is
    enough.

    If you have built-in video then it’s not loose (I hope) but it might
    have shared video memory in which case your first memory module might
    be
    bad. In fact, if you only have one memory module then even if you
    don’t
    have the shared video memory your problem still might be bad memory.
    But
    IIRC you should get at least the video BIOS in that case.

    --
    http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Video...ed-problem-forgot-Password-ftopict105628.html

    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 7, 2004