Re: Please Help me with Subtitles

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Sep 19, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:01:40 +0100, Sonja wrote:

    Subject line could be better.

    >I was trying to learn how to synchronise subtitles and very stupidly I've
    >changed the one I took for example to open in notepad so that I could have
    >the text.

    What does that mean?

    >The problem is that I forgot to unclick "Always open with this program" and

    Ah :)

    Assuming you mean some version of MS Windows.

    >so all subtitles that I had in other movies changed to notepad as well and I
    >can't remember which program they were originally.

    I don't know what subtitle editing / viewers you were using either. That
    you will have to work out for yourself from what apps you have
    installed.

    >Please somebody give me a light to save my day.

    You change the settings in Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options /
    File Types

    or

    Windows Explorer / select the file / right click (secondary mouse
    button) / properties / Type of File / Change

    or

    Windows Explorer / select the file / right click (secondary mouse
    button) / Open With...

    >Regards,
    >
    >Sonja

    Me
    why?, Sep 19, 2009

  2. why?

    gangle Guest

    "Sonja" wrote in
    > Why?,
    >
    > Your answer was a little confusing for me. In fact I didn't synchronise with
    > any program for as soon as I changed my subtitles files to open with Wordpad
    > and that I then saw that all the subtitles in other folders changed as well
    > I didn't do anything anymore.
    >
    > I just want to know to which program I have to change it back to what it
    > was.
    >
    > I use Firefox 3.5.3, Windows XP Pro.

    Change the file association to NOTEPAD.
    gangle, Sep 19, 2009

  3. why?

    83LowRider Guest

    "Sonja" wrote
    ..
    > Changing to NOTEPAD didn't return to what it was. It was a program that I
    > supposed just opened with the film itself because once I tried to open it
    > and it said "Windows does not have a program associated with this file.
    > Would you like to look online ...."
    >
    > this is the original file
    > http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/3415574/spartacus-en
    >
    > But now when I open to download it again it comes in notepad (or wordpad
    > before) not in what it was before this mess started,,,,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sonja
    >
    > it always worked fine until I've got a subtitle that was one second out of
    > synchrony and to change the time sheet I changed the file to wordpad to
    > see the text.

    It doesn't matter what program you open them with..
    Take your choice.. notepad, wordpad, or damn ifo viewer.
    There is no 'standard' program to view a srt type file.
    The damn ifo viewer is my favorite for srt files, ifo files, etc.
    83LowRider, Sep 19, 2009
  4. why?

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:25:53 +0100, Sonja wrote:

    > this is the original file
    > http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/3415574/spartacus-en

    Which downloads a zip file containing a file with the '.nfo' extension and
    a larger file with the extension '.srt'.

    Try googling for the name of the program associated with the latter
    extension and change that association from Notepad to whatever it should
    be.

    --
    “Every now and again the United States has to pick up a crappy little
    country and throw it against a wall just to prove we are serious.â€
    Aardvark, Sep 19, 2009
  5. why?

    gangle Guest

    "Sonja" wrote
    > Changing to NOTEPAD didn't return to what it was. It was a program that I
    > supposed just opened with the film itself because once I tried to open it
    > and it said "Windows does not have a program associated with this file.
    > Would you like to look online ...."
    >
    > this is the original file
    > http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/3415574/spartacus-en
    >
    > But now when I open to download it again it comes in notepad (or wordpad
    > before) not in what it was before this mess started,,,,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sonja
    >
    > it always worked fine until I've got a subtitle that was one second out of
    > synchrony and to change the time sheet I changed the file to wordpad to see
    > the text.

    Try this:
    Open a new notepad file: FILE > Save as... > put "123.srt" (no quotes)
    as the name of the file. Close the file. Left click on the file ONCE,
    then hold down the shift key as you right click on it. In the menu
    that comes up, choose "Open with..." Associate the file type
    with notepad, and make sure "Aways open with..." is checked.
    gangle, Sep 19, 2009
  6. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:58:11 +0100, Sonja wrote:

    >Why?,
    >
    >Your answer was a little confusing for me. In fact I didn't synchronise with
    >any program for as soon as I changed my subtitles files to open with Wordpad
    >and that I then saw that all the subtitles in other folders changed as well
    >I didn't do anything anymore.

    You didn't mention what OS,

    no hint of what subtitle / movie editor you may have installed,

    nor did you mention the subtitle file extension, it may have been
    possible to identify the previous application from that.

    If you have a movie / subtitle editor then an app would usually have a
    option to clear / reset the file associations. Even if you reinstalled
    the app and fixed the file associations during install.

    >I just want to know to which program I have to change it back to what it
    >was.

    No one else can tell you the name of a program you haven't described and
    forgotten the name for.

    >I use Firefox 3.5.3, Windows XP Pro.

    Your browser, for editing subtitle files?

    You asked to change a file association, I supplied three ways of doing
    that. These bring up a list of preferences - recommended, other and the
    choice to browse for others. I didn't think that needed to be
    explained....

    >Regards,
    >
    >Sonja

    >> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:01:40 +0100, Sonja wrote:
    >>
    >> Subject line could be better.
    >>
    >>>I was trying to learn how to synchronise subtitles and very stupidly I've
    >>>changed the one I took for example to open in notepad so that I could have
    >>>the text.

    >> What does that mean?
    >>
    >>>The problem is that I forgot to unclick "Always open with this program"
    >>>and

    >> Ah :)
    >>
    >> Assuming you mean some version of MS Windows.
    >>
    >>>so all subtitles that I had in other movies changed to notepad as well and
    >>>can't remember which program they were originally.

    >> I don't know what subtitle editing / viewers you were using either. That
    >> you will have to work out for yourself from what apps you have
    >> installed.
    >>
    >>>Please somebody give me a light to save my day.

    >> You change the settings in Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options /
    >> File Types
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer / select the file / right click (secondary mouse
    >> button) / properties / Type of File / Change
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer / select the file / right click (secondary mouse
    >> button) / Open With...
    >>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Sonja

    >> Me

    Me
    why?, Sep 19, 2009
  7. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:25:53 +0100, Sonja wrote:

    >Changing to NOTEPAD didn't return to what it was. It was a program that I
    >supposed just opened with the film itself because once I tried to open it
    >and it said "Windows does not have a program associated with this file.
    >Would you like to look online ...."
    >
    >this is the original file
    >http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/3415574/spartacus-en
    >
    >But now when I open to download it again it comes in notepad (or wordpad
    >before) not in what it was before this mess started,,,,

    As others said it's simply a text file, I didn't even bother opening the
    ZIP file but used the WinZip Internal text ASCII viewer. You can change
    the file assosiation (using the methods already posted) for the SRT file
    to any editor you like. The only thing you may need to do is pick
    something you can save back to as plain text format, i.e. not Wordpad /
    MS Word unluess you use the Save As options.

    http://filext.com/file-extension/SRT
    Extension: SRT
    DVD Subtitle File

    http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/srt
    Text file containing subtitles used by various video playback programs;
    supported by DivX, DVD, and other video formats; includes the time each
    subtitle should be displayed followed by the text of the subtitle.

    Open with any text editor

    http://www.file-extensions.org/srt-file-extension
    File extension SRT description:

    SubRip caption files are named with the extension .SRT. This format is
    supported by most software video players and subtitle creation programs.
    The time format used is hours:minutes:seconds,milliseconds, with the
    milliseconds field precise to three decimal places.

    Srt file does not contain any video data, it is simple text file you can
    edit by any text editor (translate subtitles into another language). The
    purpose of srt subtitle file is to use it with desired movie file
    together to display subtitles when you play video file by any player
    supporting srt subtitles.

    The one app in common is SubRip, on all 3 pages of descriptions.

    >Regards,
    >
    >Sonja
    >
    >it always worked fine until I've got a subtitle that was one second out of
    >synchrony and to change the time sheet I changed the file to wordpad to see
    >the text.

    <snip>

    why?, Sep 19, 2009